Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Broken audio after 10.10.2 update

Broken audio after 10.10.2 update
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2015, 10:43 AM

Hi there,
After upgrading to 10.10.2 from 10.10.1 I now have no sound at all.
I upgraded using the correct 10.10.2 installer, (for 10.10.1) from the Apple site. I then repaired permissions and rebooted - still no audio.
I then downloaded the appropriate 10.10.2 combo from the Apple site and did an install, my iMac then did a restart, and still no audio. The startup chime is OK and the volume control is turned up. Any ideas anyone?

All help is gratefully received.
voicebox.

Fixed!

BoomDevice was the culprit and in System Preferences/Sound/Output for some reason BoomDevice had become the default setting and not Internal Speakers ... Although deleting BD completely is proving a little tiresome!
( Last edited by voicebox; Jan 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM. )
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Ham Sandwich
Feb 3, 2015, 02:54 PM

Anytime I need to connect to a projector with a second cable, the sound switches to "AirPlay" in my System Preferences for no reason and it never did that before, and it caused several delays during my presentations to troubleshoot (even turning AirPlay off sometimes didn't work), so this was a very underhanded and deceptive move by Apple.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2015, 08:24 AM

I doubt there's anything "underhanded" behind what's happening with your system. Does it do this with every projector of every brand? Maybe it's got something to do with your particular projector...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Feb 4, 2015, 09:24 AM

It never happened when I was using 10.10.1.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2015, 01:36 PM

Calling it "underhanded" and "deceptive" means that you must believe that there is an ulterior motive for Apple to do this.

What on Earth do you think could be Apple's motivation for inflicting this upon you specifically?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 4, 2015, 11:34 PM

1. Who the heck said anything about it being personalized upon me?

2. Why the heck would you even insinuate that Apple would "inflict" anything?!

3. I wasn't saying ANYTHING more than what "voicebox" had been saying except basically to say "I noticed the same thing" and commented on how I felt after experiencing so why "on Earth" are you singling ME out again?

4. What does ulterior motive have to do with anything? The fact that Apple did not announce that they would be changing how the Audio works (and, still, screw it up) makes it very underhanded and deceptive. Do you really not see that?

5. And now the obvious question: WHY? Why did the 10.10.2 cause this modified behavior where I have to keep making "one more extra step" to tell my computer to use the audio cable that I have always plugged in to the same projector all year round before sound can work again?

By the way I don't ever recall even using AirPlay before (I've barely ever heard of "AirPlay") so this was like some really foreign setting on my computer and totally unexpected.

Go yell at "voicebox" and not just me if you're mad at people who can't figure out how to "fix" the audio issue that Apple caused.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2015, 01:37 AM

People don't make mistakes in your universe, do they?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 9, 2015, 10:32 AM

I'm on 10.10.2 as well, and have the same issues. Going into Audio Midi setup I find that the channels are muted. I uncheck, sound output works fine again, however, when turning sound down just a click will again mute. I am using Boom. Hoping to not have to delete as it's a great program for boosting output.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
I'm on 10.10.2 as well, and have the same issues. Going into Audio Midi setup I find that the channels are muted. I uncheck, sound output works fine again, however, when turning sound down just a click will again mute. I am using Boom. Hoping to not have to delete as it's a great program for boosting output.
Mute issues are related to Boom, apparently:

Boom v1.9.3 - Audio mute issues (Yosemite 10.10.2) - Forum

Forum Links
Forum Rules