Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stupid Soft Screws...

Stupid Soft Screws...
JL!
Feb 22, 2001, 03:42 PM

I just got a PBG4, and I also got an Airport Card that I wanted to install. Here are the issues I encountered:

1) Apple has no documentation on its site as to how to install the Airport Card. You have to take off the bottom cover of the machine to get the card into its slot. This requires removing seven screws and pushing and clicking around on the case...

2) The screws are made of a very soft, maleable metal (almost as bad as pewter but not quite that bad) I got six out just fine, but the seventh is totally stuck! I've stripped it completely trying to get it out, and now I can't install my card. This sucks.

You'd think for a $2500 machine Apple would include some higher-quality strip-resistant screws. And better documentation. I feel like I should never have to remove the damn cover in the first place, but here I go...

JL!

JL!
If senility were a race, I would win.

New PBG4 User
Feb 22, 2001, 03:55 PM

Instructions on installing the airport card are in the getting started guide.

You did read the getting started guide, didn't you?

JL!  (op)
Feb 22, 2001, 04:00 PM

No, it wasn't made available to me. I'm installing this PBG4 for a University Computer Store, and the only thing they gave me was the PowerBook G4 itself and the Airport Card and said "Here you go. Get it to work."

Secondly, even if I had read and knew beforehand, that still leaves my second problem. This is simply too difficult when compared to how simple it is on every one of the other Macs. You have to remove seven screws! What ever happened to the "no screwdriver needed" Apple mantra?

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 04:38 PM

Actually, there is complete, step-by-step instructions on their site on how to install the airport card. don't remember where, but I did find it. did you search the technical area for Airport & TiPB?

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 04:40 PM

I hate those darn soft screws. In my B&W G3, wound up stripping the screw that held the HD plate in place and had to drill it out from the bottom.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 04:44 PM

I think I'll replace my screws with some good ones when my TiBook comes....(if you're having that much trouble with them).....

------------------
"Choo-choo, and that is the truth."

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by JL!:
1) Apple has no documentation on its site as to how to install the Airport Card. You have to take off the bottom cover of the machine to get
JL!

JL!
Actually Apple does have the detailed instructions on their site since about Jan 10 or so. And they're quite easy to find too: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n88058

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 05:44 PM

second problem. This is simply too difficult when compared to how simple it is on every one of the other Macs. You have to remove seven screws!
Really? Seven screws?? Hope you don't get a kernel panic Just buy an iBook, that's fat enough to place the AirPort card in a convenient place ... just easy enough for University Computer Store employees

JL!  (op)
Feb 22, 2001, 06:41 PM

Thanks 2far. I couldn't find that page for some reason. Even when I went to the PowerBook:Airport section they only had directions for the old PowerBook. Oh well. You found it and it's there.

The store also has an iBook, and that's all installed and ready to go. I guess we'll just have to figure out how to get out the screw I stripped trying to open the thing up. That'll be a challenge by itself. Maybe some kind of special glue and a wood splint...

JL!

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 07:06 PM

I guess we'll just have to figure out how to get out the screw I stripped trying to open the thing up. That'll be a challenge by itself. Maybe some kind of special glue and a wood splint...
There's a couple ways to approach the problem:

1) Clean the screw with alcohol. Put masking tape on the bottom of the case, and cut around the screw with an Exact-o knife. The "glue" something to it (the screwdriver itself even) with soulder, JB-Weld (heatless metal glue), or 2-part epoxy (some kinds stick to metal).

2) Get a left-handed drill-bit (the thread goes the opposite direction) and drill it into the screw. You can then turn the screw out with the drill.

3) Send the thing to apple with a note that sez "HEEEEELP!"

------------------
"Choo-choo, and that is the truth."

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2001, 07:55 PM

You know, if people would use the correct screwdriver they'd never strip screws. Screws almost always strip only because of that fact. Like using a #1 screwdriver when a #2 is needed.

Also, be sure to apply some downwards force when using a scredriver...

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 08:08 PM

I examined my TiPB when I got home tonight... it was a 500 model that I picked up at CompUSA -- and the box was sealed. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't examined by anyone at CompUSA.

I have never taken the thing apart as I'm using an 802.11 PC card... guess what? One of the screws is stripped!!!! Ahhhhgggggg.

Anyone else have this problem?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 08:19 PM

Well first thing tomorrow I am heading to the hardware store, and buy that #1 Phillips head screwdriver. I want this PBG4 to be prefecto.

BTW, do I get to get a mac email address when I do receive my PB? And what else comes with itools?

------------------
Peace, Mitchellbradperkins.net

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 08:41 PM

I'm with JL! On this one, apple shouldn�t use these crap a$$ screws on their laptops. I have a wallstreet, and I striped one of the screws on the cover that protects the processor, hard drive, and ram. I was using the proper screwdriver, I was pushing down, (everything you said Misha). I mean its not that hard to use a screw driver is it?!?!!? ???� Anyone think about it like this, apple uses one of the strongest metal on the planet for the case of there new laptop, then they use some sub standard screws? Oxymoron? This is just my 2 cents� "Dollar wise penny dumb?" is that the quote?

Binky
Feb 22, 2001, 09:14 PM

It's "penny wise and pound foolish." This is a direct result of people complaining about how hard it is to get a Torx driver. The Torx design is almost impervious to cam-out, just like Allen heads. Phillips is about the worst design there is. Fact is, if you're going to be changing out the HD, you'll need a Torx driver anyway, so I wish Apple had used screws that took the same driver. It's not very expensive, either. I have a full set of Torx, Allen, Phillips and flat bits and a ratchet handle bought as a $7 set from Radio Shack.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 10:56 PM

Good thoughts, but Misha is correct - screws almost always strip due to the wrong tool being used. You must use the right size and be sure to put enough force on it to not allow the screwdriver to twist and pull outward.

There are may striped-screw rescue tools available...but I have not tried one on small screws.

Scott

pixlart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 05:02 PM

The following is an excerpt from Mike Gould's MonoDyne WebWorks website:
http://www.mondodyne.com/tipb.html

>> A client brought me his Ti from which he'd removed all the screws but one, and that one was almost completely stripped. This prompted me to set out to find the perfect screwdriver. After months of searching on 3 continents, I stumbled upon the perfect fit at a True Value hardware store here in Ann Arbor. I took a screw from a Ti in with me and tried all the drivers on display, finding the perfect fit in their "Master Mechanic 125 187 USA TS312" model ($2.49 USD). Using this screwdriver, I was able to remove the damaged screw and install his AirPort card. <<

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 06:02 PM

????

How can he search for months for the perfect screwdriver for a TiPB when the TiPB has only been out for a month??????

--Mike

JL!  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by mjpaci:

How can he search for months for the perfect screwdriver for a TiPB when the TiPB has only been out for a month??????
Another interesting question would be this: Why should he have to search for that when they could just use higher-quality screws? It looks to me like this is a somewhat common problem (one screw left and stripped). Apple ought to take a que from that and change their screws.

JL!

dawaves
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 06:36 PM

You idiots.....U think Apple is going to put the strongest, most durable

set of screws on there???....Ti is supposed to be LIGHT....hench the

very nature of the screws being soft and malleable...Apple

probably used these screws because they added to the overall

lightness of the Ti...think about it....
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

JL!  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 06:44 PM

Then why can't the screws be made of Titanium themselves? I doubt that it's very easy to strip a Titanium screw.

I may be wrong, but then let's substitute another stronger metal in for Titanium on those screws. How much weight would seven small (fill in stronger metal) and somewhat heavy screws add to the laptop? Maybe 50 grams? Seriously, there is no excuse. Weight is the sorriest excuse of them all.

JL!

Binky
Feb 23, 2001, 07:28 PM

Titanium screws would be pretty easy to strip. Titanium really isn't that hard. Ignore the Apple hype. Especially with the CP titanium they use, it's neither stronger than steel nor lighter than aluminum.

Normal screws have their threads rolled on, not cut into them. Rolled threads are stronger because they're work hardened and material isn't being removed. So the threads are harder to strip and can cut their own threads into the carbon fiber frame, assuming that's how they're attached on the G4. Therefore, they're usually made of soft, carbon steel. The tradeoff for stronger threads is that the head is softer and any cam-out is bad. Unfortunately, the familiar Phillips head is far cheaper to make than the far superior Torx, Allen, and square-drive heads. Not to mention people are afraid to change; they want to keep using the screwdrivers they already have, even if they suck.

Kyosho88
Feb 24, 2001, 09:32 PM

There's a how to install an airport card at www.go2mac.com

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 02:40 AM

which upgrades need the bottom to be opened and which ones do not? i believe theres memory, hard drive, and airport upgrades which are the most common. i think you can remove the keyboard if you want to replace the memory but can someone verify this? cuz my friend who works in the computer service department says you can strip the screws pretty easily when upgrading and he also says its kind of hard to close the case once you upgrade something. anyone know anything?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2001, 04:05 AM

Memory under keyboard, everything else, strip some screws.

JL!  (op)
Feb 25, 2001, 04:10 PM

However, I've heard that the screws that hold the hard drive in are really nice. It's just the screws on the outside of the case that are easily strippable. Oh well. Hopefully Apple will read this and find some good solution.

I guess I should hold myself 50% responsible for not having the perfect-size screwdriver.

JL!

madra
Feb 25, 2001, 05:27 PM

why don't apple take a leaf out of the PC manufacturers' book and use cheaper more readily replaceable fixings? a good length of string [preferrably 'hairy'] tying the two halves of the case together would be a much more sensible solution.

as well as being tactile and physically attractive, hairy string is easy to remove and cheap to replace when broken. the first thing i did when i got my G4 desktop machine was to remove all internal and external screw fixings using a 5lb lump hammer and then tie all the components in place using finest grade hairy string.

admittedly this has had a slight downside in that the computer no longer works but i think this is more than compensated for by the ease of access to the internal components.

JL!  (op)
Feb 25, 2001, 05:34 PM

Oh my gosh. I laughed so hard at the above post that I actualy wept. Thank you, whoever you are.

JL!

Forum Links
Forum Rules