Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > FotoStation 4.5 (longish)

FotoStation 4.5 (longish)
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2003, 05:29 AM

Hi,

Since my workflow is an utter complete chaos ... CRW > JPEG for Web/TIFF/PSD for Print + random ... all in different folders ... handled by different iView catalogs ... and iPhoto libraries w/ 5000 shots in the archive from P&S digicams. So I've been looking into ways to organize and stramline.

Extensis Portfolio 6.1 is nice, but does not offer features *significant to me* over what iView Media Pro can do ... it is also a slower/larger program.

iPhoto 2.0 was OK for importing JPEGs from my digicams. And I like how I can create albums etc. But it is really slow as soon as you get to 1000 images ... I am also shooting mostly RAW and that rendered iPhoto completely useless.

iView Media Pro is very nice, but I would like to have sub-folders w/in catalogs for easier organization. Scrolling though my master CRW catalog of 4000 something photos is a pain ... and I am not THAT organize to enter keywords etc. at every import. Some behavior in iView Media Pro also pisses me off sometimes, when I drag a photo from the catalog on my desktop/folder/etc I WANT IT TO COPY NOT MOVE AND CHANGE REFERENCE in the catalog - that makes more sense to me and is a "safer" behavior. When I press delete w/in the catalog I want it to ask me wheither I want to delete the reference or move the file to the trash ... it does neither (that is something iPhoto is able to do). This forces me to go and sort throught the cataloged folder and find the file I want to delete etc. I just want sub-folder/categories/albums thats all.

I make separate catologs for certain assignments and such, but it is all getting out of hand w/ master catalogs, catalogs of JPEGs, catalogs of photos processed for printing, processed for Web, catalogs specific to a particular assignment ...... soon I will need a catalog for my catalogs

So I started to look into FotoStation 4.5, as I've heard from some people that it is actually quite good. However, I have a few questions:

- Does it support Canon RAW (CRW)?
- Do I need classic to run/install it? FotoStation website says it will run in OS X, but as always they don't say wheither one needs classic for it to run.
- Do I need to downgrade to QuickTime 4/5 to run it? I tried running the demo on my Win2K machine, but it game me an error because my QuickTime is too up to date - so I never actually was able to run it.
- Speed?
- Like and Don't Like?

Thank you guys. Any other advice/reommendation would be highly appreciated.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules