Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP iPod Nano and Shuffle

RIP iPod Nano and Shuffle
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 08:16 PM

We all knew this day was coming. I had a 1st gen Nano for 8 years before it died. It was the perfect size for working out. The only downside was how easy it scratched. I always wanted Apple to revisit the 1st gen design but use gorilla glass for the screen instead of plastic. Oh well.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...-touch-models/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...d-nano-history

The nano did have one of the coolest reveals for an Apple product.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2017, 08:45 PM

Surprised they kept the touch. Mac mini next?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 08:53 PM

The battery's shot, but I still use my 1st gen "pack of gum" Shuffle with a clip of pink noise on a loop to break in headphones.

Probably my favorite iPod.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The battery's shot, but I still use my 1st gen "pack of gum" Shuffle with a clip of pink noise on a loop to break in headphones.
Snake oil!!

(Yeah, I do it too, except I use a loop of alternating pink, brown, and white noise, 5 min of each, and let that run for a few days.)
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 11:59 PM

That's funny.

I remember being irritated I needed to make an uneducated guess as to which of the three would be best. Never even occurred to me to put all three on it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2017, 06:02 AM

I'm not entirely sure how much it actually helps. ex. Tyll at Innerfidelity showed that THD numbers drop marginally (for some dynamic drivers), esp below 120Hz, over a span of 200 hours, but he doubts that most people can tell the difference.

I did a DBT with Sennheiser HD800s, same batch, one brand new out of the box and the other with 200 hrs of break-in, and with familiar material I could pick out which was which 90% of the time. It wasn't easy, though (and I've gone through all the Harman listening courses), the differences were extremely subtle. Then we tried again after the brand new set had run for 200 hours and I couldn't differentiate them at all (within what was determined to be the margin of error). However, we tried the same thing with planar cans, Audeze LCD-3s, and no audible differences could be determined, before or after.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 28, 2017, 10:51 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:44 AM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2017, 02:49 PM

It is kind of a sad day, even though I can't think of the last time I actually used an iPod.

That said, woof, the current version of the iPod Nano was always hideous to me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I'm not entirely sure how much it actually helps. ex. Tyll at Innerfidelity showed that THD numbers drop marginally (for some dynamic drivers), esp below 120Hz, over a span of 200 hours, but he doubts that most people can tell the difference.

I did a DBT with Sennheiser HD800s, same batch, one brand new out of the box and the other with 200 hrs of break-in, and with familiar material I could pick out which was which 90% of the time. It wasn't easy, though (and I've gone through all the Harman listening courses), the differences were extremely subtle. Then we tried again after the brand new set had run for 200 hours and I couldn't differentiate them at all (within what was determined to be the margin of error). However, we tried the same thing with planar cans, Audeze LCD-3s, and no audible differences could be determined, before or after.
Though nothing as extensive as a DBT, I feel I've been able to tell the difference on regular speakers. Of course that could just be me getting used to them.

With headphones, it's mostly a courtesy deal. Most recently, it's been ages since we've recorded, and the "studio cans" we have for people who don't bring their own (Sony MDRV6s for the curious) had been sitting in a box for a few years.

That said, I've noticed no one ever says I need to break in a dynamic mic, which seems like it would be similar physics.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2017, 08:34 PM

My 2nd Gen Mini was my workout buddy for quite a long time. It was one of the original Product RED versions. My wife's Mini (also 2G) has been handy for her as well.

Today, mine sits in a dock on the headboard of our bed, and plays going to sleep music for us. Running and workouts are with my phone - which has many times the capacity of my Mini.

I never got a Nano or Shuffle because I liked the visual interface of the Mini and wasn't thrilled with the prospect of learning a new user interface...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 09:59 PM

When I'm out and about, which includes my "workout" (I walk a lot), I hate the lack of awareness which comes from headphones, so I've pretty much given up on using my iDevices as media players.

Before I gave up, the 1st gen. Shuffle was just awesome. Specifically, it was trivial to work the UI without taking it out of my pocket. I much preferred this to the options with a control on the cable.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2017, 12:23 AM

I still use my nano watch to listen to radio at work, but my phone and Apple Watch have largely replaced it for everyday use.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 12:36 AM

I used to use an iPad 2 at work, but since I'm happy with just Pandora and I Heart Radio, it got BTFO by an Echo Dot.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2017, 07:14 AM

Lately I've been using the iriver service + Tidal (because I don't like Amazon listening to everything I say) but the Echo Dot plus a BT receiver is a very good combo, Amazon has a great catalog and the quality isn't bad.

Deezer + Sonos is damned fine too, from a streaming perspective, but it ties you to their speaker systems which some find... underwhelming.

Thorzdad
Jul 29, 2017, 07:47 AM

My 2nd gen Shuffle is still going strong. I can't think of a better "mowing the lawn" or "working in the yard" or "going for a run" music player. It's tiny, has a good strong clip, and the battery lasts for freaking ever. It goes anywhere with no streaming requirement...which is probably a good part of why it's been killed.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2017, 10:01 AM

I just realized this weekend that my original ipod can't connect to my new(er) computer because the firewire port is different. So I need a new firewire>firewiremini cable. Off to amazon... In the meantime, I opened the playlist on the ipad via homesharing and connected to speakers, so that worked.

our clip shuffle is also still working great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules