Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't shut down or restart from OS CD

Can't shut down or restart from OS CD
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2001, 09:22 PM

I've done a search of the forum for this issue but didn't see anything that addressed it.

I usually don't shut down my computer, but today I tried to do so and it would not shut down. Instead, when I selected shut down from the menu, all active applications quit, and then the process stops. The clock is still running, but I can't open a folder or do anything else. My only option is to hit the restart button.

Going to restart in the menu is not a problem, by the way. That function is still working as usual.

Because I figured there was some OS problem, I thought I should do a clean install, so I tried to restart from the OS CD--couldn't do that. The process went up to the point where the progress bar is about a quarter or so of the way through, and then everything stops. I have to hit the reset button for that as well. Oddly, I can restart from the DiskWarrior CD, which I did, and then rebuilt the HD. I could also shut down when I'd started up from the DW CD. But even after rebuilding the HD with DW, I can't shut down or restart from the OS CD.

The only thing I could think might be at fault is the new pro keyboard I got a couple of days ago--soI removed it and used my old keyboard--still no luck. I also tried unplugging the USB hub--still no luck.

I'm running OS 9.04 on one of the original G4 AGP 400 MHz machines, with an Interex USB HUB to which I have an Epson 760, an SGFA Snapscan,a nd a Kensington VideoCam connected. The free port has an open cable on it that I use for connecting to MP3 players and a USB JamCam. There's a Logitech WheelMouse connected to one of the keyboard's USB ports. I also have a Compex ethernet hub which networks my iMac and my PB. Finally, I have a Sony Spressa Firewire CD-RW.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
Feb 9, 2001, 04:41 AM

Got OSX installed?
Hm... do you have iToons installed? If so delete the CD driver it installed and put in an older one.
Zap your PRAM and hit the CUDA button (and take the PRAM batter out too... why not ), see if that helps you start up.
I think the shut down prob is a stubborn process. Try using MacArmyKnife to kill all processes yourself then shutdown.
Also try booting extensions off and see if you can shut down then.
Um... I was gonna suggest something else too but forgot.
Try that and I'll try and remember
You also may wanna replace Finder/System files and delete their respective preference files.
If you need any assisstance with any of the above processes, just ask
Good luck...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-09-2001).]

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2001, 09:14 AM

I'd already replaced the CD driver, Cipher

I'll try the other suggestions when I get home--I'm at work now.

Thanks!

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2001, 12:38 AM

Done everything except removing the battery and still no luck restarting from OS CD. I can shut down after I've restarted with extensions off, though. And I've now tried starting up from TTP, the OS X CD, and whatever other startup disk I have--all work except the OS 9 CD. I'd leave it alone except I'm afraid something terrible is going to happen to the HD. Well, at least everything is backed up :/

Cipher13
Feb 10, 2001, 08:27 AM

Hm... well first thing to do is hunt down this damn extension stopping you from shutting down eh?
I got a fair idea what it is... installed any versions of Adobe products lately?
Try the trial and error method of extension management troubleshooting to see what the culprit is. Or better yet, send me a list of your extensions and I'll go through 'em all and see what I can do with that.
Hm...
Hey, try replacing the damned MacOS ROM and System Enablers. Replace them.
I have a feeling that could be it...
But that wouldn't explain not booting from the CD... do you have access to another OS9 CD like that one? Perhaps your disk is damaged... try running a disk utility over it. Any visible scratches?
I highly doubt its that. Just doesn't sound like it...

Cipher13

Cipher13
Feb 10, 2001, 08:32 AM

Just searched the Apple TIL and came up with nothing of any value whatsoever.
Post back, I'll keep looking into this...
And if you'd like, send me that extensions list (email: [email protected], AIM: Cipher1387).

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-10-2001).]

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2001, 02:22 PM

The latest thing I tried was to shut down the computer (after restarting with extensions off) and then restarting from the OS 9 CD. That actually worked On the other hand, I then restarted from the HD, and again could not shut down or start up from the OS 9 CD.

I'm sending you the list of active extensions, Cipher--I hope (1) that you don't spend gobs of time on figuring this out (unless you like to do it--nah, who'd like to do something like that ) and (2) that you do figure it out

Forum Links
Forum Rules