Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 86)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 5, 2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Since cy was inquiring about possible mod additions I took a look at the new DW list and picked out a couple contenders that wouldn't unbalance anything.
Interesting list. Let's hit them in order:
Thaumcraft Tinkerer
I've been watching this one for awhile. I put it on my 'add when we start getting bored' list. I think you and possibly Blaze have hit that point, so I'll toss it in the next update.

Opis
This seems like a no-brainer. Need to check if it's just a server-side mod or if I need to add it client-side as well. If it's just server-side, I'll add it right the heck now.

WAILA
This one I must ponder. I hate messy HUD displays. If this one is configurable, it has some nice additions. If it's going to irritate me... well, I don't do this for irritation

Extra Utilities
hmmm... this is not the Extra Utilities I remember seeing. Starting to suspect we may have similar-named mods out there. Reading through I'm willing to give it a go. It's 'pipe' system seems slow, but robust.

Thermal Expansion
There was a reason I avoided this before, but I can't remember why. It might have been a version issue. Either way, with how things are developing I don't see any major reason to NOT include it.

Dimensional Doors
D.D. has a release candidate update available. HAPPY HAPPY! (I really miss my hidden enchanting lair from Hexxit). I think it's time to give it a go.

Other planned updates include some version updates to existing mods, especially NEI, as well as modifying some config files. by example: battle towers are going to become even MORE rare. I'd rather have the dungeons. If I knew a safe way to eliminate the towers mod I would, so instead i'll make them very rare to spawn.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2014, 04:10 PM

There's an NEI related mod(s) that lets you shift click recipies into crafting grids. I know there's a specific one for AE support.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2014, 03:15 PM

I found a tree fortress, killed a giant monkey and a lich. The tree part make me think of Andi though.
2080,-620. No picts though my web server is down and imageshack wants money.

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2014, 08:49 PM

sounds fun!

having more odd problems with NEI. Sometimes when I go to inventory, NEI will say 0 of 0 items, even when I haven't searched. Right now, it's saying page 1 of 8, and it's only showing items from tinkers construct or so. Typing "brick" returns zero results. Sometimes quitting and restarting will help, sometimes not.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2014, 03:15 PM

Sometimes if you are on "page" 6 for example of NEI and you change the filter it reduces the item count, and the "page" count but leaves you on "page" 6. Try hitting next/prev.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 27, 2014, 01:35 PM

Just a quick update:
Suffered a bit of 'life getting in the way' and haven't been on the server much. That said, Ive started prepping for the next version update. I'll have the beta server up and running in a few days and will let everyone know. Just about every mod updated, and we have a few new ones coming in as well. If anyone has any more to add (Sek I already put most of your suggestions into the mix) or would like me to hunt down a mod that does _________ please let me know.

Also, be warned that I'm currently on a Dungeon Keeper fix (the old-school one from the 90s) so I expect some redecorating in my various 'lairs'

cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2014, 01:49 PM

Life happens! It will be hard to beat your iron fortress.

In other news, I seem to be making progress on a house/castle/mcEscher"staircases gone mad" construction. Probably because all the Thaum research dried up.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 27, 2014, 03:07 PM

one of the mods I'm considering will add some 'end game' items to thaumcraft. also hoping that dimensional doors works as planned...

I REALLY miss my hidden enchanting lair!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2014, 05:48 PM

That's great news cy, I look forward to beta testing the new stuff soon!

I've been tearing and renovating my base pretty heavily in preparation for the new mod sets, but one thing I need to get going is some kind of reliable way to farm ender pearls....

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2014, 12:15 PM

Find a fortress. I should be able to kill the dragon easily with the thaumcraft stuff.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2014, 04:53 PM

Sek and I found the fortress. Currently stocking up on pumpkins. My though was to include Andi's kids in the trip?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2014, 09:59 PM

Just messing around with Thaumcraft and the server went gills-up.

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Sek and I found the fortress. Currently stocking up on pumpkins. My though was to include Andi's kids in the trip?
That sounds fun. When?

And what's the pumpkins for, breadcrumbs? I have a few.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2014, 12:32 PM

If you look at an endermen with a pumpkin on your head he doesn't aggro. Also they teleport if you shoot them with a snowball. Snow golems shoot at endermen.

My plan is for the kids to be on snowmen duty while me and Sek keep the dragon at bay. I have materials for ~70. Once the kids have seen the dragon fly around we move on to killing it.

Edit:
I think Andi and company have the most restrictive schedule. I'm available after 7pm almost always.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Mar 3, 2014 at 06:10 PM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2014, 09:39 PM

maybe fri at 7:30? And do we need to farm any snow, or all set?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2014, 11:57 AM

That's a fine time for me. I trapped a golem in the snow to the NW of my place if we need more then the 170 blocks that I have.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2014, 08:01 PM

I'll probably be on closer to 9 or so but don't let me hold up the fun.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM

Change of plans, I'll be on at 730.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2014, 03:55 PM

I put some gear packs without armor next to the portal. Sek and I have planned for a portal back. I suggest making sure you've slept in a conveniently located bed.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2014, 05:09 PM

Good fun was had, almost felt sorry for that dragon. So busy having fun forgot to take pix!

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2014, 03:13 PM

Anyone up for an adventure this weekend? I've just put pistons on a cleaver (?!?!) and would like to try it out! Also discovered a use for all our ender pearls + obsidian, can put them on a sword to give the power of beheading. Where's the wither skeletons.

it's either that or finally build my thaum tower guys, so...

I've started making random things just to scan them for thaum. So if anyone needs cactus armor, I've got some.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2014, 05:42 PM

I may be busy tomorrow.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 15, 2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Good fun was had, almost felt sorry for that dragon. So busy having fun forgot to take pix!
Sorry I missed the epic battle. I've been distracted with other things lately, though I hope to relax with some construction later this weekend.

In honor of the dragon duel...

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

-Lewis Carroll

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2014, 08:49 AM

last night kid and I tackled two towers. Well, one I had mostly methodically cleared out except the final layers, so we survived that... the second one, not so much!

Here's us taking a breather halfway thru the battle:

I saw the sign for the twilight adventure, looks good! and thx for the bunny!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2014, 01:22 PM

The cheat-yest thing about PVE in minecraft vs other games is the ability to place blocks. You can see this in the steps the adventure map makers have to take.

It's not a dangerous quest at all.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2014, 02:07 PM

Have you all seen this? Looks like a cool mod to try.

Mod Spotlight BestModEver - YouTube

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2014, 07:37 PM

Yeah i saw that this morning. Made me chuckle.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 05:52 PM

Lots of renovations done to the base in the last month, including endless tweaking of my power production, Mana Bean farm, and tons of space added in the basement. I've also got a small backlog of photos as well.

Post-Dragon battle Ender Pearl farm. Produces an obscene amount of pearls.

Aerial shot of the base exterior. Far from finished (if it'll ever be) but it's my favorite home base design so far.

Back of the completely excessive max-size High-Pressure Steam Boiler. 8 engines run direct off the tank Ender tank feeds two gigantic steel tanks.

Something that always amazes me with Blaze's builds is his simplicity. My builds, however, are usually overly complicated and unnecessarily sized. This is probably the best example of that. The Boiler uses one piece of charcoal every 2 seconds so I had to build my own tree farm because Blaze's spill over would never keep up. I have two golems chopping, two gathering items and two more running specialized jobs, which include feeding an Herba production unit that supplies 2 Lamps of Growth at all times. If charcoal totals drop below 75k (which would run out in under three days) wood is automatically exported into a steam oven. One cycle of a full steam oven (about 10 seconds) nets the whole system an additional 2 charcoal. Once charcoal rises above 75k wood stops exporting and the remaining amount in the oven will cook off. If wood exceeds 15k it is automatically voided into an Incinerator. I also have 35k Coal Coke from earlier as an emergency backup, which would last about another 3 days. Running perfectly all these materials fill up 97% of a large storage cell in my AE system and are ensured to not spill over and fill up all my other storage. With my latest efforts (moving the Herba setup under the tree fam becaue golems kept getting stuck in it) my system is more or less finished and I have a completely inexhaustible supply of power for my AE system and more....something Blaze had figured out months ago of course...

In exploring news, I found a strange Lich-Shroom type tower in the Twilight. Andi and I explored it but it was entirely devoid of any enemies, loot, or basically anything. I have a feeling it's a WIP and after the next update could be a new Boss Tower.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2014, 12:20 AM

Though i have to admit, yours is 2000% prettier than mine. Now you just have to do automated ore quadrupling. And maybe along the way you'll find the dup bug that I found.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 11:17 AM

What mod are you guys using these days? I've been away from the thread for quite a while.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What mod are you guys using these days? I've been away from the thread for quite a while.
It's actually a custom mod pack made by Cyclopse based on our favored mods and in the interest of not adding any extremely overpowered game-breaking items. It's loosely based on a modpack called Hexxit with some tech added to streamline storage and item processing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 01:54 PM

So are y'all still using FTB? I don't know that I could contribute anything, but I like looking around.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2014, 01:57 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks, BLAZE.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So are y'all still using FTB? I don't know that I could contribute anything, but I like looking around.
I think you'd quite enjoy a grand tour of our current lands.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 16, 2014, 09:17 AM

Wow, amazing what goes on when life gets in the way of Minecraft!

Just a couple quick FYIs for folks:

1- yes, I haven't been around much the last month or so. Had out-patient surgery last month and I'm now just getting back into the swing of things beyond work.
2- I'm still working on the next package update. The beta server should come back online sometime this weekend.
3- Speaking of this weekend, hate the short notice but I need to do some physical server maintenance. This will require the system being down about an hour, maybe 2 hours. I'm going to try doing it this evening, but if not it will happen this weekend. Need to replace the raid battery and check a fan.

I'll also be posting a complete list of the mod update hopefully later today.

Cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 AM

glad you're ok!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 17, 2014, 09:06 AM

OK, I wasn't able to replace the battery last night. soldering will be involved so I want to get my electrical rig out of storage before pulling the old battery. I'll make time this weekend.

With that out of the way, here's what the new version is looking like:
Polyphemus 1.5
[1.6.4]bspkrsCorev5.3.zip
CodeChickenCore 0.9.0.9.jar
minecraftforge-universal-1.6.4-9.11.1.916.jar
util^iChunUtil2.4.0.zip
immibis-core-57.2.0.jar
NEIPlugins-1.1.0.6.jar
appeng-rv13-c-mc162.jar
ArmorBarv0.8.2(1.6).zip
backpack-1.27.34-1.6.x.jar
BattleTowers_1.6.4.zip
BetterDungeons1-6-4_209.zip
BetterStorage-1.6.4-0.8.0.45.jar
BiblioCraft[v1.5.5].zip
buildcraft-A-1.6.4-4.2.2.jar
ChickenChunks 1.3.3.4.jar
Chococraft_3.0.3.zip
ColourfulPortals_v.1.3.2_for_1.6.4.zip
CustomOreGenRevived-1.6.4-1.0.22.jar
1.6.4 DamageIndicatorsv2.9.2.3.zip
DimensionalDoors-2.2.2RC1-312.jar
EnchantingPlus-1.16.5.zip
EnderStorage 1.4.3.6.jar
ExtrabiomesXL-universal-1.6.4-3.15.2.jar
Factorization-0.8.34.jar
GSWireUniversal-1.6.x-srg-b111Forge.jar
immibis-microblocks-57.6.3.jar
mapwriter-2.0.17.zip
Natura_mc1.6.X_2.1.14.jar
NotEnoughItems 1.6.1.9.jar
obsidiplates-1.6.2-universal-2.0.0.15.jar
PortalGun2.0.2.zip
ProjectZuluCompletev1.1.7.3.zip
redlogic-57.3.1.jar
Ruins_1.6.4.zip
Staircraftmod 1.6 - 1.6.4 Forge.zip
Thaumcraft4.1.0g.zip
TConstruct_mc1.6.4_1.5.3.jar
[1.6.4]TreeCapitator.Forge.1.6.4.r09.Universal.zip
tubestuff-57.1.3.jar
twilightforest-1.6.4-1.20.4.jar
VanillaPlus[V.1.3.6].zip
yalsm-2.0.3.jar
TMechworks_mc1.6.4_0.1.4.2.jar
extrautils-1.0.3b.zip
ThaumicTinkerer-2.3-137.jar
ThaumicTinkererKAMI_j6.jar
Opis_1.1.3a_alpha.zip
MobiusCore_1.0.5.jar
Translocator 1.1.0.15.jar
ArchimedesShips-1.5.1.jar

Some things of note:
1- Dimensional Doors is still under heavy development, so that version may change yet again.
2- Applied Energistics has stopped updating the current version. New update efforts are targeting 1.7
3- I'd get rid of battle towers, but it would break the map. if anyone wants to customize their loot chests to make it more interesting, feel free. I'll happily update them. For now, tower spawning has been severely reduced.
4- Still willing to add in any other new mods during this cycle. Let me know if you have a suggestion.

Finally, we're starting to see a swing from 1.6.4 to 1.7 in mod development. That means we'll soon need to decide if we want to play with a 1.7 world or not. I haven't decided how to approach it.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM

Yeah its the lull between updates. And the 1.8 update will be worse because of the block id removal in vanilla.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2014, 12:02 PM

Is dimensional doors supposed to be working now? I tried to make one, but it wouldn't let me.

better loot in the battle towers, would make it more worthwhile. Armor, thaumium, etc.

Found a tree with a lava trap in it the other day. That was fun.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 17, 2014, 01:02 PM

Dim Doors is not actively on the server (but it's included in the pack because it worked fine in Single Player). I plan on adding it to the server with the update (assuming nothing breaks).

battle towers sets the loot via a configuration file that selects each floor from a list of ID files. As one may suspect, it's tedious to configure. I just haven't had the time to do it. I'd love to see battle towers more relevant with regards to useful loot. Though, from seeing how Blaze and Sek are doing... what kind of loot tempts the gods?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2014, 01:11 PM

I think Andi and her kid are the target market for the tower loot. Up the rate of health and regen potions?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 17, 2014, 04:27 PM

The config files has a list of possible loot as ID numbers, then a number of 'how many to randomly select'. If I could just 'up the rate' of x, y, or z I would. Alas, no such luck

Truthfully, this isn't a huge item for me. If someone wants, I'll post the config files out there to tinker with. My main focus is get the versions updated.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2014, 04:44 PM

no worries. plenty of loot for the crafting.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2014, 05:44 PM

It's very good to have you back and in good shape, as always your continued efforts on our little world is greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Polyphemus 1.5
Translocator 1.1.0.15.jar
Oooo neat, Translocators are pretty cool.

Some things of note:
1- Dimensional Doors is still under heavy development, so that version may change yet again.
2- Applied Energistics has stopped updating the current version. New update efforts are targeting 1.7
4- Still willing to add in any other new mods during this cycle. Let me know if you have a suggestion.
-Dim Doors will hopefully go smoothly during the Beta because Colorful Portals have been a bit wonky for me lately, especially when traveling back and forth from The End.
-AE is at a pretty good point as it stands now on the server, Version 2 is more or less an entire overhaul of the cable system and I'd rather approach that down the road in a fresh start. Anything else added before than is in no way important as my current setup is more than adequate.
-I think this update should prove to be quite a mouthful as it is. Just the items and dimension added by Extra Utilities (The Deep Dark) are enough to keep me busy for a while, nevermind Thermal Expansion and the über-Thaumcraft stuff.

battle towers sets the loot via a configuration file that selects each floor from a list of ID files. As one may suspect, it's tedious to configure. I just haven't had the time to do it. I'd love to see battle towers more relevant with regards to useful loot. Though, from seeing how Blaze and Sek are doing... what kind of loot tempts the gods?
It's a valid point that even the best loot a Tower currently gives is more or less useless or only adding to what we already have in spades. If the chests had more of the loot available from the mods then it would be more of an incentive to raid them. Plenty of rare drops and materials from our current crop of mods and a ton in the mods to be added would be quite tantalizing (like a super hard to craft Enderium Ingot from Thermal Expansion). Without wanting to edit config files myself I wouldn't expect anyone else to either so for now I have no real strong opinions about battle towers.

In other news I have a Nether Portal ready to be linked to what will hopefully be a brand new area of the map very far away for once the server is updated. Nice fresh chunks to explore full of new goodies!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2014, 05:27 PM

I've been playing something else recently, more on that soon, but in server news I signed in last week at some point to find my "perfectly tweaked" power system completely empty on charcoal and halfway through my coal coke. It seems the golem I had designated to harvest saplings had somehow gotten outside of the warded block barrier and could not get back in. My system spawned trees until it had no saplings and then the boiler went through all 75k charcoal in short order. Since then I've tweaked, again, and everything has been slowly regaining for the last couple of weeks.

After watching this video I decided to give the Agrarian Skies map a whirl. Long story short it's a skyblock challenge map with a ton of mods and a new mod called "Hardcore Questing" which adds a really awesome quest and reward system as well as lives (game over means map deleted btw). Completing the incremental challenges will net you set rewards as well as goodie bags which can give anything from trollish items to ultra-rare drops.

Progress was very slow at the start, your only source of dirt is composting tree saplings, flesh, etc... and dirt leads to cobble, which leads to gravel, which leads to...just about everything. That large wooden tower at the right is a mob spawner/dropper. Is it obvious that I didn't have any cobble generation for a while?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2014, 07:47 PM

This is a few days into a reset from a g world to a p world due to pack updates. The crazy piping is feeding the output of the sifters into two smelters than then casting blocks. I need blaze rods now. I went into the nether and there is a fortress but its not really in a place I can bridge/tunnel too. You do not want to go into the open in the nether. And mining nether rack is just wow. I just got my second cow last night. There's a patch of grass behind the troll house.

I was so annoyed that they added a recipe for the builders want that's just diamond and I didn't notice.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2014, 08:02 PM

Haha I had a feeling you might be checking this out.

The nether is a terrifying place, I died three times in a row attempting to get netherrack. The awful über-silverfish followed through my portal and further terrorized me after that. I just rounded out my TE machines and Magmatic Engines and even with just one Sieve/Autonomous Activator combo I have a silly amount of ores, redstone is usually pretty tight though. I almost exclusively sieve dust to have enough redstone on hand.

I'm just the doll quest away from completing Learning to Skyblock, thanks to a loot bag full of ender lilies.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I have a p-body's and a potato gun. The bacon guns don't overlap. There's an uncrafting table in the xp grinder

Does it matter what color the pbody is? NEI shows two colors.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2014, 11:19 PM

It's color changes back and forth based on the last portal you placed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules