Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Japan and Powerbooks

Japan and Powerbooks
LambMadras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 03:14 AM

Hi all,

First post. I'm heading off to Japan next month and am going to be purchasing my first mac....hopefully a 15" Albook if/when they are released. My question is to those who know, will I be able to order a "western/US" style PB from the Japanese retail outlets? I know OSX is multilingual but I want to make sure I can get the English keyboard version. Will this be a problem?

Cheers

LM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2003, 03:35 AM

If you order from Apple Japan directly (from their website) you can order a US keyboard, but if you get it from a normal retailer, you only get a Japanese keyboard. There is at least one place in Tokyo that sells imported American powerbooks, but they are more expensive and don't come with the normal Apple warranty. I'd suggest getting it from www.apple.co.jp

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2003, 03:38 AM

The japanese keyboards i've used all have american letters on them, it's just that some of the punctuation keys are in different places.

You shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
The japanese keyboards i've used all have american letters on them, it's just that some of the punctuation keys are in different places.

Off topic, but your signature is brilliant.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2003, 04:58 AM

With all due respect, I disagree. I've used Japanese keyboards for quite a while, and am pretty good at typing on either American or Japanese models. While you can certainly type English on the Japanese keyboards with no problem, the Japanese keyboards are clearly inferior to the English ones in terms of usability (the space bar is very small), and the punctuation keys are in different places from the American keyboard. This can be difficult to get used to, especially if you use more than one computer.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
With all due respect, I disagree. I've used Japanese keyboards for quite a while, and am pretty good at typing on either American or Japanese models. While you can certainly type English on the Japanese keyboards with no problem, the Japanese keyboards are clearly inferior to the English ones in terms of usability (the space bar is very small), and the punctuation keys are in different places from the American keyboard. This can be difficult to get used to, especially if you use more than one computer.
I live in Osaka and use a Japanese keyboard at work and a US keyboard at home. I have to strongly agree with Icruise. The American keyboards are better and I know Japanese who prefer them as well - even when operating in the Japanese OS.

You can get the US keyboard installed if you order from the website of Apple Japan.

Enjoy living in Japan!
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 03:49 PM

I agree with the others. Get the American keyboard. I just came back from three years in Japan. I bought a G4 while I was there but immediately bought a US keyboard for it. I sometimes used one of the other Macs in our office but it was really frustrating. The shift key is farther away and the " and : are not where you expect them to be.

My wife (Japanese) prefers to use the US keyboard even for Japanese typing.

If possible, you should try to buy the US version of the PB in the US. I would feel safer about that.

In addition, when you buy it in Japan it will come with OS X installed with Japanese as the primary language. You can change your preferred language to English but some things will still come up in Japanese. If you get this I suggest wiping the disk and reinstalling with English as the primary language.

Finally, you will probably get a CD which has the Japanese version of Classic. If you need to use Classic in English you will need to buy OS X in the US.

If you do buy OS X in the US and find that you have a need for Japanese support in Classic we found that the installer for the Japanese Language kit is supplied. I can't recall exactly where it is but it is available. Perhaps when you install Classic from OS X it puts the Language Kit installers in your Extras folder.

What part of Japan are you headed for? If you are around Tokyo you can see lots of Apple retail. Yodobashi Camera usually has a large Apple section. In Akihabara there are several Apple outlets. One store - Mac Kan - is dedicated to Apple. They even have free WiFi like the Apple stores in the US. Best of all, there will soon be a true Apple Store in Ginza. I haven't heard of the opening date. Enjoy.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

LambMadras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys for the advice.

I'm more inclined to want to stay with the US style keyboard as it's what I'm most comfortable with.

I'm heading for Osaka on Oct 14 from Australia. I can save AUD$600-700 on a PB by buying in Japan. I would like to get the updated PB if poss and If I ordered a Ti from Oz, with build time etc I dont think it would be done in time before I leave so getting one in Japan is the priority.

Cheers Again

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by LambMadras:
Thanks guys for the advice.

I'm more inclined to want to stay with the US style keyboard as it's what I'm most comfortable with.

I'm heading for Osaka on Oct 14 from Australia. I can save AUD$600-700 on a PB by buying in Japan. I would like to get the updated PB if poss and If I ordered a Ti from Oz, with build time etc I dont think it would be done in time before I leave so getting one in Japan is the priority.

Cheers Again
Sounds like you know what you want. I think you have the right idea. I have an older iBook now (which I bought in the US). I am waiting for the new 12" or 15" (hopefully coming out at the Paris show) and I will order from Apple Japan with the US keyboard.

And if you need any help from a fellow mac-nut in Osaka, let me know.

- PJ

LambMadras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 11:13 PM

Hey PJ

thanks for the kind words, myself and my partner are really looking forward to Japan. Have you been there long? We are trying to prepare ourselves for a culture shock whilst sitting back in our little comfort zone but not too sure how to do it.
I guess we will wait untill we get there and take each day as it comes.

Do you have an address of the Apple store in Osaka?

Enjoy your PB when it arrives

Cheers, Tim

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by LambMadras:
Hey PJ

thanks for the kind words, myself and my partner are really looking forward to Japan. Have you been there long? We are trying to prepare ourselves for a culture shock whilst sitting back in our little comfort zone but not too sure how to do it.
I guess we will wait untill we get there and take each day as it comes.

Do you have an address of the Apple store in Osaka?

Enjoy your PB when it arrives

Cheers, Tim
The best place to get PB's is from Apple Japan directly, from the website. Another place is Yodobashi Camera - a large electronics store next to JR Umeda station (downtown Osaka).

If you want more specific information or have personal questions about living in Osaka, send me an email. I would be happy to chat more.

- PJ

LambMadras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 11:48 PM

Hey PJ,

For some reason I cant get the "quote" function to work.

We are not sure if we are going to be living in Osaka or just passing thru. Our employer is keeping us in the dark until a couple of weeks before we depart.

If we do end up in Osaka I will definately touch base as I'm sure we'll have a few questions.

Thanks again

T

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 03:07 AM

Here are some groups to contact. They have better information than I have.

Kinki Mac Users Group (KMUG)
An active community of Mac fans in the Osaka area. www.kmug.org

Ringo Mac Users Group
Mac users in Tokyo (English). www.ringo.net

I know that the Ringo Mac group in Tokyo has been able to offer advice about getting US software in Japan. They might be able to tell you about what kind of powerbook you can get in Japan.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2003, 03:38 AM

By the way, I got my 12" powerbook in Japan through the Apple store, with a US keyboard installed. I can read Japanese with no problem, but I prefer to have the OS be in English, and I haven't had any problems with things remaining in Japanese. I can't imagine why you would need an English version of classic, either, since English programs work just fine as far as I know.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 03:57 AM

I too agree with the others of getting the american keyboard, the important thing is that you have the keys in the same place where you're used to, not having to relearn and try to get used to where some keys are in the Japanese keyboards is just a lot easier to type.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules