Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AL PB people, how loud is your fan?

15" AL PB people, how loud is your fan?
Sakino
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 06:22 PM

Well fawk why don't I add another problem to my list before I send this pos back. My powerbook has been running ****ing hot all weekend. Basic usage too, itunes, email and internet. IT HAS BEEN HOT?! Like 12 inch rev a hot.
Well the fan finally kicked in, and it sounds like my ****ing 3 year old dell windows pc, to tell you the truth. My friend who has owned apples all his life was sitting next to me in the library and said WTF is that?!?1 I was like thats my fan, he laughed and said that alittle to loud for a fan.

BTW Apple said they would contact me later in the week to see if I could get a replacement.

aliscafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 06:29 PM

Buy the new iBook that will come out this Christmas.

Your friend at the library javascript:smilie('')

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 06:47 PM

My fan only came on once in two weeks of use.

And the only time that it did come on was after 6hrs of use and it was quiter than the Optical Drive spinning.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 06:54 PM

I didn't even know my 15" AlBook HAS a fan... never heard it -- and I've watched DVDs, used Photoshop, and run lots of apps at the same time... including VPC.

Sounds like you got a lemon.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 07:17 PM

Mine generally comes on when playing games, or burning DVDs. As ae86_16v said, the optical drive is noisier.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 07:36 PM

yeah I didn't even know my 15" had a fan either. The thing is so frigging quit. Stop complaining people.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:
yeah I didn't even know my 15" had a fan either. The thing is so frigging quit. Stop complaining people.
Umm yea how can you complain when your ****ing laptop is a joke?
Let me list my problems.
4 white spots
ticking hd
keys touching the screen
VERY VERY HOT?!
battery life at 1.30 with best battery life option
screen seems to be warped on teh edges
fan sounds like my 3 year old dell pos desktop pc.

And all apple has to say is send it in. How about they say send me a new one or refund my money.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 09:10 PM

Glad I bought a new Tibook when I did....
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 09:14 PM

Something everyone needs to realize is that most people aren't going to post unless they have problems. Several HUNDRED people were posting in the order status thread and reading it.. but as soon as they get their PowerBooks, you hear nothing from them... unless there is a problem.

Some products will have problems... as long as Apple makes good on it, all is well.

Also, people who are geeky enough to post on forums (AKA, ME!) are more demanding.... and a few people (I'm not saying this guy!) will complain when there isn't a problem....

I wouldn't worry about it. My PB is GREAT, and so are all 3 of my friends' AlBooks that ordered on the same day as me.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by nstehle:

Some products will have problems... as long as Apple makes good on it, all is well.

Well im waiting and waiting and waiting for apple to meet my request. They are taking their sweet old time.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:21 PM

My powerbook is wonderful and I porbably have been posting much less than if it were a POS.

The fan is rarely on, truly rarely, and it's quiet enough so that I can still hear the conversations in the next room through two layers of cinderblocks. It's almos as quiet as my G2 iPod's hard drive, and much quieter than the optical drive. I can't hear it if I'm not listening for it (there are birds and people noises all the time).
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 10:46 PM

The fan seems to be a two-stage affair ... at low speed it barely whirs ... but on the higher speed�when the turbo kicks in�it sounds like a full-afterburner F-15 taking off!!!

Or at least mine does
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

macxtal
Oct 5, 2003, 10:51 PM

I'm not even aware this machine HAS a fan.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 03:57 PM

My 15" Al PB arrived this morning. No white spots, silent, latch works, two black sub-pixels . The fan hasn't come on yet. Even when I ran it set to maximum performance the fan did not come on though it did get rather warm.

I love this PB. It is amazing.
Xbench score 107.
My 867 Tower scored about 88.
My Pismo 500 scored about 38.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

pvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 06:49 PM

I've had my 1.25 Ghz Al Powerbook for about a week now and so far have not had any problems with it except for the rather short batetry life. I guess I am one of the lucky and contented buyers of the new Powerbook

Ph.D.
Oct 6, 2003, 08:30 PM

If your hard drive ticks once per second, it's because the M$ word trial version was launched. This stupid program writes to your hard drive once per second, no matter what, to check how long you have for your trial. Remove the trial version and it will instantly stop.

On another note, I'm unhappy with the fan on my 12" (new 1GHz version). It kicks in quite frequently, even on reduced performance with minimal loading, and it can get very loud.

Cheers.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by pvb:
I've had my 1.25 Ghz Al Powerbook for about a week now and so far have not had any problems with it except for the rather short batetry life. I guess I am one of the lucky and contented buyers of the new Powerbook
Hey pvb, try updating to 10.2.8. It allows for longer battery times. I have mine at about 2 hours and 55 minutes.
Hi!

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 12:23 PM

Fan....what fan?

We don't need no stinkin' fans.

Originally posted by Sakino:
Well fawk why don't I add another problem to my list before I send this pos back. My powerbook has been running ****ing hot all weekend. Basic usage too, itunes, email and internet. IT HAS BEEN HOT?! Like 12 inch rev a hot.
Well the fan finally kicked in, and it sounds like my ****ing 3 year old dell windows pc, to tell you the truth. My friend who has owned apples all his life was sitting next to me in the library and said WTF is that?!?1 I was like thats my fan, he laughed and said that alittle to loud for a fan.

BTW Apple said they would contact me later in the week to see if I could get a replacement.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules