Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just called Applecare about my new 15inch

Just called Applecare about my new 15inch
tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 01:31 PM

I have two problems:

1. The battery is so loose that it actually looses the connection and kills the power to the computer.

2. I have had 5 kernal panics in the six days I've had the computer. Not good.

I called them up, and they told me to call back, because their computer system is down (now that's ironic...)

Really frustrating. I spent hours getting my new machine up and running, getting all my software installed, and now I'm going to have to send it back.

-tm

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 01:34 PM

Ouch, sounds like you got a dud...that's quite a strange response they gave you also...hope you can get a new one! Backup your files as best you can.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 02:49 PM

Apple has had problems with powerbook batteries before: The first generation Ti batteries either lost contact or fell out. Apple's solution was to have you send the PB in so they could put a thin 3" rubber strip in the battery compartment to force the battery up against the contacts. Didn't work. Apple had to come out with slightly larger battery.

I'm hoping that your loose battery is the exception--since nobody has reported this problem that I know of--but I'd call them up and have them declare it dead-on-arrival so that you get a new unit. Their Titanium rubber-band approach was pretty terrible. Please post back here as to how this gets resolved!

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 07:04 PM

That is really odd. I was just commenting to my wife about how nice the new battery design is. It seems to hold the battery very securely.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

tumblemonster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 07:05 PM

I called back ten minutes ago, here are the results of the call:

On the battery issue: He had me reset the power management system by holding down a key combination with the power off. I reset my clock, now we'll see if it did any good. I don't think it did, because the battery still shakes around in the bay, and I'm almost certain that's the problem. Try convincing him of that though... He also suggested taking it to the local Apple store to have them look at the battery.

Kernal Panic: Duh. Disk first aid. As if I hadn't thought of it before. But, I'm going to do as he suggested, so the next time I call I can say I've gone through it all, and the problem still occurs (which it will).

I kinda feel like I got brushed off a little bit. Anyway, I've got time since it's under warrenty, so I'll spend this afternoon doing all the things he suggested, wait a few days for the problems to recur, and call back. It's all I can do I guess, but it's really frustrating.

-tm

Forum Links
Forum Rules