Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why home icon cann't display the capacity of free space?

Why home icon cann't display the capacity of free space?
seen_xu
Dec 26, 2003, 06:31 AM

Although I had set the folder option to show the additional info, the free space still can not display.

PS, originally, it can display the correct info beside the home icon!

please give me some hints. Thx!

Have a Mac, Never Come Back!?

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 07:35 AM

well the network mounted drives can be properly display the free space info.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 07:51 AM

It's an option only available to drives/volumes not to directories.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by seen_xu:
well the network mounted drives can be properly display the free space info.

Not related to the problem, but I was wondering how you got those nice pictures in your posts guys. Looks great.
Tiger 10.4.8

calumr
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 11:20 AM

Although I had set the folder option to show the additional info, the free space still can not display.
There's no such thing as "free space" in a directory - the amount of extra data you can store in a directory is determined by the free space on the volume the directory resides on.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2003, 02:53 PM

To embed images, put the image on a webserver (we won't host images for you), and then use vB code to embed the image. When you click to reply, there's a link for vB code telling you how to do it.

Let me clear up some confusion: this guy decided, somewhat unwisely, to name his hard drive "Home", which of course is easily confused with the user's home directory.

tooki

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 05:12 PM

yeah I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug in the finder for Panther. I have been having this issue since Panther came out. I have also tested it on 4 different machines running Panther.
When you enable show item info (in the view options) on the desktop, the hard drive icon will not show the right free space info. This feature worked fine on 10.2. I have tried everything under the sun to get it to work (changing permissions, fixing permissions, so on). the only way I found to get it to update w/ the correct free space is to kill the finder or log out. when I have network drives connected they update fine. my iPod is kinda odd, sometimes it updates fine and other times is does not. I had my fingers crossed that 10.3.2 would fix this issue, but that was a no go.
unless someone can figure this one out, I think we are going to have to wait for Apple to fix it.

a pic to show you what I mean......

http://forcefed.net/freespace.jpg

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 05:26 PM

I've gone round with this one too. I like the feature it just hasn't always worked. Did before (Panther too), then not, now it's working again.

Sometimes they haven't matched as in your pic.

I've even deleted large files (avis, hundreds of megs) and had the free space go DOWN!

Tons 'o fun.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 08:18 PM

I've had this problem with Panther, and it bugs the hell out of me. Here's to hoping that a seemingly simple problem (i.e. reporting disk free space consistently?) gets fixed by 10.4 at the latest!

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 09:11 PM

quote tooki
Let me clear up some confusion: this guy decided, somewhat unwisely, to name his hard drive "Home", which of course is easily confused with the user's home directory.
Please look out of your word
" unwisely"!

My indeliberate file name is not a unwise action. and I am not unwisely named it,
naming a file is someone's freedom, not the evidence to public criticize!

PS, I'd never intend to confuse fool. I am here to claim my problems and the bugs related with Panther's finder. sometimes, clever head acts like a fool!

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
yeah I have come to the conclusion that this is a bug in the finder for Panther. I have been having this issue since Panther came out. I have also tested it on 4 different machines running Panther.
When you enable show item info (in the view options) on the desktop, the hard drive icon will not show the right free space info. This feature worked fine on 10.2. I have tried everything under the sun to get it to work (changing permissions, fixing permissions, so on). the only way I found to get it to update w/ the correct free space is to kill the finder or log out. when I have network drives connected they update fine. my iPod is kinda odd, sometimes it updates fine and other times is does not. I had my fingers crossed that 10.3.2 would fix this issue, but that was a no go.
unless someone can figure this one out, I think we are going to have to wait for Apple to fix it.

a pic to show you what I mean......

http://forcefed.net/freespace.jpg
my problem is

not the incorrect info about the free space,
but it can not display at all, only the total volumn space showed out there. and we all know if it is a directory or folder, it only show the number of objeccts not the total space available.

weird!
( Last edited by seen_xu; Dec 26, 2003 at 09:38 PM. )

MacsGalor
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
To embed images, put the image on a webserver (we won't host images for you), and then use vB code to embed the image. When you click to reply, there's a link for vB code telling you how to do it.

tooki
Actually He is using German as his main language therefore the user directory would be the German word for "Home". I may be wrong as I have always used English as my main language but from what I have seen on others machines it changes everyting to be in that language. BTW can you easily change the main language on your machine, with the same user?

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 01:11 AM

my problem is

not the incorrect info about the free space,
but it can not display at all, only the total volumn space showed out there. and we all know if it is a directory or folder, it only show the number of objeccts not the total space available.

weird!
yeah, I have had that issue as well.
the fix for me was setting or making sure that the drive is read/write in the permissions and then restarting the computer.
If you run a permissions fix from disk utility and your drive is reverting back to just read access then it might be an app that you have installed that is changing the permissions on the drive.

seen_xu  (op)
Dec 27, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
yeah, I have had that issue as well.
the fix for me was setting or making sure that the drive is read/write in the permissions and then restarting the computer.
If you run a permissions fix from disk utility and your drive is reverting back to just read access then it might be an app that you have installed that is changing the permissions on the drive.
thx problem solved!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 08:26 PM

Please look out of your word
" unwisely"!

My indeliberate file name is not a unwise action. and I am not unwisely named it,
naming a file is someone's freedom, not the evidence to public criticize!

PS, I'd never intend to confuse fool. I am here to claim my problems and the bugs related with Panther's finder. sometimes, clever head acts like a fool!

He, reg dich ab! Die Tatsache ist, andere waren schon verwirrt, sie meinten, es ginge da um den Benutzerordner. Es gibt ja uebrigens reservierte Dateinamen -- Home gehoert gewissermassen dazu, da in mehrbenutzer-Systeme jeder Benutzer einen eigenen Ordner hat, der normalerweise als "Home" bezeichnet wird.

Uebrigens bedeutet "somewhat" "etwas". Also nicht komplett.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
BTW can you easily change the main language on your machine, with the same user?
Yes. In the International system preference pane, there's a list of languages. Drag your preferred language to the top of the list (if it's not there, press the Edit button to add it).

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules