Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > clr# 4460 in Extras.rsrc always colorless??

clr# 4460 in Extras.rsrc always colorless??
Ham Sandwich
Jun 16, 2004, 07:47 PM

All right, I tried searching the forums, but after entering the first query, the search page didn't turn into a result page. Every search attempt after that lead to "Waiting for [site]...," and eventually this. So I haven't been able to tell if this is a repeat topic. I've also been having a very bad day, so I absolutely refuse to troubleshoot little issues today.

I saw a screenshot of the Mac OS XP theme. I separated the .guiKit into its components, including the Extras.rsrc file.

This is a screenshot of what I am trying to get at - and let's save the "You want to install an XP theme over OS X?" entertainment for the end of the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...chmentid=14663

I am able to make manual adjustments on the Extras.rsrc file, except for one problem: clr# resource number #4460 (the Finder window background that is metal by default) is always colorless. I've tried adjusting the resources with Photoshop and pasting color elements over the original colorless ones, but every time I relaunch the GUI with the adjusted Extras.rsrc pacgage, the Finder window background is always colorless.

All I want to know is: How do I get the blue Finder window color when I keep getting colorless?

revmitcz
Jun 16, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Andrej:
All I want to know is: How do I get the blue Finder window color when I keep getting colorless?
The finder window's background color is changed manually, in the "Finder->Preferences" section of the menubar in the finder.

As for changing that background color in column mode in the finder - good luck. When you figure that out, you'll be the king of the OS X GUI.

deej5871
Senior User
Jun 16, 2004, 09:03 PM

I think he means changing the brushed metal part of the window to blue.

But, anyway, I'm pretty sure that changing that color requires ShapeShifter and can't be done by just changing the Extras.rsrc.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 16, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by revmitcz:
As for changing that background color in column mode in the finder - good luck. When you figure that out, you'll be the king of the OS X GUI.
Ha, I kinda figured. No, what I meant was the Finder window border color - again, check the XP screenshot, and you'll see that it's blue.

Originally posted by deej5871:
I'm pretty sure that changing that color requires ShapeShifter and can't be done by just changing the Extras.rsrc.
Tell me otherwise, man. I already exhausted my 14-day trial period, and in order for the "Register" button to become active, somehow, I would have to delete all of ShapeShifter's installation components, but legend has it that it's impossible unless you do an Archive and Install (in other words, I have found nothing on the web that says how to uninstall ShapeShifter fully).

EDIT: Close the thread, now, I ponied up to ShapeShifter...damn I can't get around that app once it's installed (except to reformat etc.).
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jun 22, 2004 at 01:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules