Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Opportunity to take Everquest for test drive

Opportunity to take Everquest for test drive
Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2004, 09:56 AM

I know lots of you are leary of paying for Everquest with lots of good reason. Due to the inability of folks to get their hands on the product in stores, Sony is offering a free 30 day key with a download option. Details can be found here. Get a key from Hobart (in house developer at SOE) by emailing the address listed at the link and download the launcher. The launcher will download the rest of the necessary files. It's a 2GB download. Will take a while even on broadband.

Bookie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 02:35 PM

kewl
Don't blame me - I voted Democrat

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2004, 02:26 PM

I've always wanted a free try.
Mr. CaN

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

Has anyone gotten the thing to download? I got a key, but can't seem to get the downlaod.
Mr. CaN

Osirisis  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2004, 08:18 AM

Have you checked with Hobart (The guy who supplied the key)? If it works like it did in beta it should note that there are files missing and start pulling the missing files, i.e. the whole game. I haven't tested this version of the launcher as I have the retail version of the game. Check this thread to see if you're having a similar issue. I know that some folks has issues with firewalls during the beta.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 04:26 PM

Yea, thanks I got it working, and went through most of the subscription process, but they still want a cc # and that is what I wanted to avoid.
Mr. CaN

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by MrCaN:
Yea, thanks I got it working, and went through most of the subscription process, but they still want a cc # and that is what I wanted to avoid.
I stopped the subscription process when they asked for the CC details... been conned by AOL to many times I guess!

Still tempted to try it out though, although I suspect that it is in no possible way better that WoW which I am lucky enough to be testing, so there is little reason for me to bother...

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I stopped the subscription process when they asked for the CC details... been conned by AOL to many times I guess!

Still tempted to try it out though, although I suspect that it is in no possible way better that WoW which I am lucky enough to be testing, so there is little reason for me to bother...
Yea, thats when I stopped.
Mr. CaN

Osirisis  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 11:51 AM

You can always use one of those rechargeable CCs if worried about recurring charges. I know there were some folks who had similar concerns back when the server first opened. They can't charge a card that doesn't have any cash left on it.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 03:02 PM

good news, I got an email from SOE saying that they activated my account, and have 30 free days, without giving a credit card #. Now I have started the download, says I have almso 7 hours left, and I'm at work, so I hope I can pause it and continue it at home.
Mr. CaN

Osirisis  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MrCaN:
good news, I got an email from SOE saying that they activated my account, and have 30 free days, without giving a credit card #. Now I have started the download, says I have almso 7 hours left, and I'm at work, so I hope I can pause it and continue it at home.
The laucher will check to see what files you have so you can stop it at any time and resume it. The folks who were insane enough to DL it on dialup had to do it this way. I believe it was close to a week for them to pick it up.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 04:38 PM

Yes, download complete, now I just need to get some work done so I can play it.
Mr. CaN

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 07:13 AM

I wouldn't bother MrCaN...

I just fired the thing up, and can say that it has to be the worst game I have played since 'Temple Challenge' on My Commodore 64.

My God.

I can not see how in the world this game can have made money for SoE? It is dreadful!

The gameplay is just abysmal, clunky to the highest point,
The whole Setup is just nonsensical... as far from user friendly as can be,
The graphics are, um, well, Ok for 1994.

In general, EQ feels like it is only one step ahead of something like Bards Tale from the 80's gameplay wise and ambience wise...

I know WoW is a 'next generation' MMORPG, and should be compared to EQ2, but it feels 15 generations ahead... Jeez.

I have been lucky enough to test WoW for free for the last 5 months, but I know where my money is going in the next month or so... Nowhere near SoE

Peace out,

TPC

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 01:17 PM

Yea, I tried it like 3 seperate times, and tought it was pure crap each time. I kept re-trying it, so that I could give it a fair chance, but as pointed out above, the game play sucks, the controls suck, and the graphics are good for 1980.
Mr. CaN

Forum Links
Forum Rules