Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AirTunes Remote Control!!!

AirTunes Remote Control!!! (Page 2)
iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 01:39 PM

This is all my fault. I shouldn't have mentioned any sort of wireless remote via WiFi.

It's going to be plugged in directly to the Airport Express via Ethernet. Yeah, sure there'll be a cable you may trip over, but hey, at least you won't have to worry about configuration problems.

And you'll never have to wait for a DHCP server or Rendezvous to connect. Yep, you heard it hear first.

jocker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
I am having a hard time understanding the reasoning here of many of us.
The Airport Express has no Tunes in it at all.It is not doing anything but relaying the computers MP3 collection via Wi-Fi. The notion that somehow the remote control would involve the AE just does not make sense for all of the reasons sited in the posts above.

Like I said,I am doing this right now with additional Wi-Fi PDA's that control the computer that serves the music stream. Nothing more,nothing less.

There are a variety of ways to control this but without being able to interact with the computer beyond just telling it to play or stop it is not all that useful.

I think Apple also knows this ,so I could see some type of Apple PDA with all of this built-in as well as PDA type stuff possibly.

It seems silly to devise a remote control only when all the components for a PDA would be required anyway. It also seems that the biggest market right now for Apple is clearly the one smallest most portable device they make.

They would be crazy not to combine what already works for them with another niche item and create a whole new paradigm,as they seem to be talented at.

Of course they rarely listen to my suggestions.

At last someone * gets it *
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 12:27 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Keyspan AirTunes Remote.

IR. Plugs into AXPs USB port.

Edit: Scratch that last part. It doesn't say it plugs into the AXP, just that it's "compatable" with AirTunes... Seems like just a repackaged Keyspan DMR.

I smell a rat.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by subego:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Keyspan AirTunes Remote.

Edit: Scratch that last part. It doesn't say it plugs into the AXP, just that it's "compatable" with AirTunes... Seems like just a repackaged Keyspan DMR.

I smell a rat.
Unscratch that part. It does say it plugs into the AXP USB port.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 01:06 PM

$59 for that?

Apple can do better by integrating the remote sensor into Airport Express, and give us a basic no-thrill remote for less.

For all other people who wants a LCD display, 802.11b/g based remote, they should ask themselves: how much are you willing to pay for a remote like that?

For myself, a simple remote will suffice.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 01:17 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Keyspan AirTunes Remote.

It's infrared based. Not WiFi.
Good for battery life, bad for use through walls.

Overall, not really what I was expecting. When I saw the price of $ 59, I was suprised at first. When I saw what it offers, I was not any more...

Let's see if Apple can do better.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
Unscratch that part. It does say it plugs into the AXP USB port.
WooHoo! The press release didn't make it clear, or if it did, I missed it.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

So can somebody explain to me just what this remote does?
I imagine it can go back or forward through a playlist or pause and resume a song but without being in front of a display of some kind why would you need to remote control iTunes?!?

Maybe I am missing something here???

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
So can somebody explain to me just what this remote does?
This has been discussed and debated in the earlier posts.

But to summarize it, AXP allows you to play the music from iTunes on your Mac in one room to a different room where your stereo system is located.

For example, you got a phone call in the room with the stereo speakers, you want to pause the music. You have to run to the other room where your Mac/PC is located to pause it. Very inconvenient!!

Or you just heard a song you like, you want to repeat the song one more time. Without the remote, you have to physically go to the Mac/PC room to do so.

No, you cannot select particular song without a remote capable of displaying the song list. This is where the people differ on how capable the remote should be (and how expensive it should be).
( Last edited by iPoder; Nov 10, 2004 at 03:37 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2004, 03:34 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Keyspan AirTunes Remote.

I smell a rat.
I doubt if I will be using this for the following reasons:

1. IR signal - What were they thinking? My AXP is hooked up to my home theater system. It is plugged into the powerstrip. You know the thing that is placed behind the home theater cabinet to get all the ugly power cords out of sight? So just how am I supposed to use a remote that needs a clear LINE OF SIGHT to the item receiving the signal?

2. No Display - What's the point in having the ability to remote control iTunes with no access to playlists, artist, genre, etc. information? The remote is cool for basic transport control I suppose, but it certainly doesn't bring the full power of iTunes to the home theater.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
1. IR signal - What were they thinking? My AXP is hooked up to my home theater system. It is plugged into the powerstrip. You know the thing that is placed behind the home theater cabinet to get all the ugly power cords out of sight? So just how am I supposed to use a remote that needs a clear LINE OF SIGHT to the item receiving the signal?
The receiver plugs in with a USB cable, so you don't need to have it occupy the same physical location as the AXP. Just run a cable to where you want it to go.

Edit: Just ordered 2
( Last edited by subego; Nov 10, 2004 at 03:50 PM. )

IamBob
Senior User
Nov 10, 2004, 04:05 PM

Here's a perfect use.

I wish that you could use any old USB device though. Then we'd be able to use a Bluetooth adapter (for instance) and use _whatever_ (cell?) to control the remote Mac in more detail.

Still, this is good and makes my life easier!

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 04:08 PM

this keyspan remote is very cool, except for the IR.

sure, you could run a USB cable up to a light of sight area, but a) then you have to see it, and b) you have to be in front of it.

i bet an RF version will be released later for $79. then you'll have a good product.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
this keyspan remote is very cool, except for the IR.

sure, you could run a USB cable up to a light of sight area, but a) then you have to see it, and b) you have to be in front of it.

i bet an RF version will be released later for $79. then you'll have a good product.
I think you're overlooking the people who control their stereo with a universal IR remote, which is, uhh... everybody.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 06:22 PM

I think you're overlooking the people who control their stereo with a universal IR remote, which is, uhh... everybody.
uhh, i think you're overlooking people who do not necessarily have the AXP hooked up to a stereo. for example, any powered speakers will do.

this thing can be a stereo replacement, for any room.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2004, 07:30 AM

uhh, i think you're overlooking people who do not necessarily have the AXP hooked up to a stereo. for example, any powered speakers will do.

this thing can be a stereo replacement, for any room.

How does this show the Keyspan is, as you stated, not a "good product"? I have given you an example of how it could be useful to a wide range of people, all you have shown is how it doesn't work for you.

Not working for you doesn't make it a bad product.

For you, I would recommend the ATI Remote Wonder. I wouldn't want this because It would mean I have to use two remotes. The fact that it is not useful to me does not make it a bad product.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 02:03 PM

How does this show the Keyspan is, as you stated, not a "good product"? I have given you an example of how it could be useful to a wide range of people, all you have shown is how it doesn't work for you.

Not working for you doesn't make it a bad product.

For you, I would recommend the ATI Remote Wonder. I wouldn't want this because It would mean I have to use two remotes. The fact that it is not useful to me does not make it a bad product.
you're right. it is a good product. and probably worth its salt.

i didn't say it was bad, just not good enough for many who have been wanting something that doesn't require line of sight.

your point was that this group of people did not exist.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2004, 07:06 PM

your point was that this group of people did not exist.
Definitely a miscommunication here.

I was saying that of the people who have an AXP hooked up to their "main" stereo/home theather setup, most (if not all) are already using an IR remote to control said system.

I think you thought I said "everyone has their AXP hooked up to the "main" stereo/home theater setup.", which is, as you correctly pointed out, bollocks.

P.S. I'm serious about checking out the Remote Wonder. It won't be in the same room as the AXP, but that's the whole point of RF, right?

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 07:40 PM

Definitely a miscommunication here.

I was saying that of the people who have an AXP hooked up to their "main" stereo/home theather setup, most (if not all) are already using an IR remote to control said system.

I think you thought I said "everyone has their AXP hooked up to the "main" stereo/home theater setup.", which is, as you correctly pointed out, bollocks.

P.S. I'm serious about checking out the Remote Wonder. It won't be in the same room as the AXP, but that's the whole point of RF, right?
ohhhhhhh...... i get you now.

thanks for clarifying, and sorry if i sounded like a jerk.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2004, 02:50 PM

sorry if i sounded like a jerk.
Likewise

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 09:38 PM

For the people who are willing to spend big money on the remote control, here is your dream system

http://www.sonos.com/

For $499 a ZonePlayer (similar function to AXP) and $399 a remote control, I say that I will get a few iPods instead.

IamBob
Senior User
Nov 13, 2004, 01:08 AM

Not my dream system. For that $1100 you could almost get an iBook($999) and Airport Express($129).

Even if all you're going to use it for is music, that's a 12.1" *fully programmable* remote which you could hook up to your existing stereo. Hopefully you have something a little better than a "boombox", which is probably all that sonos thing sounds like, anyway.

Remember, you could get an Apple loan and it works out to about $22/month. Same-as-cash if you pay it off in 90 days, which works out to about $410 a month x3.

I suppose that's like 3 to 4 iPods but..still. I'd rather have the computer - I'm not that into music anyways.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2004, 05:01 AM

I would buy the remote IF it were bluetooth and was under $50. Ir for that price is just a rip off.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by IamBob:
Not my dream system. For that $1100 you could almost get an iBook($999) and Airport Express($129).
That is exactly my point. A lot of posts here request a do-all, LCD display remote from Apple. And here is our example of the remote with color display at $399 (with the scroll wheel we came to love on iPod). Even a simple IR remote from Keyspan costs $59.

For me, a remote should be simple, durable. I can drop it on the couch and sit on it without breaking it. If you want a fancy remote, be prepared to pay big money for it.

The question is: how many people are willing to pay over $200 for a remote control?

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 12:28 PM

edit
( Last edited by The Wolf; Dec 1, 2004 at 10:21 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2004, 05:09 AM

Just got mine today. Works as advertised.

It is having a bit of trouble with my universal remotes. To get it to reliably track forward I have to track backwards first. This problem happens with both my remotes, which are each different brands.

This quirk doesn't occur with the supplied remote.

Parky
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 09:43 AM

At least you can get the remote.

In the UK the Apple Store is quoting 6-8 weeks, so no Xmas present for me then :-(

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by iPoder:
That is exactly my point. A lot of posts here request a do-all, LCD display remote from Apple. And here is our example of the remote with color display at $399 (with the scroll wheel we came to love on iPod). Even a simple IR remote from Keyspan costs $59.

For me, a remote should be simple, durable. I can drop it on the couch and sit on it without breaking it. If you want a fancy remote, be prepared to pay big money for it.

The question is: how many people are willing to pay over $200 for a remote control?
Here is my guess...

What if the next generation iPod becomes flash based (to save battery power) and INCLUDES an airport card? There - problem solved. People will gladly pay over $200 for it because it's an iPod that can also stream music wire-less-ly to an AirPort Express unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules