Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I wish OSX was more like windows...

I wish OSX was more like windows...
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 05:17 PM

but seriously. You can trawl through a lot of windows bashing on these forums so I got to thinking, is there ANYTHING in Windows or on PC laptop that you wish we had on ours.

(please don't flame me...whimper)

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Andrew Stephens:
but seriously. You can trawl through a lot of windows bashing on these forums so I got to thinking, is there ANYTHING in Windows or on PC laptop that you wish we had on ours.

I will reply to you because you are probably not going to get many pleasing responses on this topic or if any at all.
I will say it once, twice or until the cows come home, I NEVER WISH OSX WAS MORE LIKE WINDOWS.
The only cool thing that Micrsoft Windows does that I would like for Apple to do with Safari and iTunes is allow for the Window to automatically resize to full screen when the green expansion traffic light is pressed. I don't care to manually resize the Window to fit the screen. Most of the Apple apps do this except for Internet Explorer, iTunes and Safari.
Other than that, get real if you expect much more than that.
P.S the more I use Expose with hot corners activated the more I am proud to use the Mac OS.
Also count on this thread being moved to somewhere else. You posted in the wrong place.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 05:31 PM

i have an issues with preview, i dont like pressing control A to view all the pictures of a folder (i dont use iphoto), i wish selecting one would still allow to see all the contents of the folder...
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Andrew Stephens:

Well...you started the topic, what would you like to see in OS X that's available in Windows? I can't really think of anything off the top of my head, and I'm on a Win machine right now.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
The only cool thing that Micrsoft Windows does that I would like for Apple to do with Safari and iTunes is allow for the Window to automatically resize to full screen when the green expansion traffic light is pressed. I don't care to manually resize the Window to fit the screen. Most of the Apple apps do this except for Internet Explorer, iTunes and Safari.
The green light, technically, is never for full-screen resizing, as it's not a maximize button. The green button is supposed to resize the window to a "preferred" size depending on the contents.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 06:30 PM

Something like the filmstrip picture preview mode in XP would be nice... I don't want to have to open a program to view and resize pictures if I can avoid it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
The green light, technically, is never for full-screen resizing, as it's not a maximize button. The green button is supposed to resize the window to a "preferred" size depending on the contents.
Actually, it's supposed to resize the window to fit the content.

I HATE that Windows will by default block the entire screen for a 60x60 jpg, and the only situation I have ever encountered where this would have been preferred behavior is when browsing the internet, and then only rarely.

Never elsewhere.

-s*

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Actually, it's supposed to resize the window to fit the content.
Isn't that what I said, in a few more words?
The green button is supposed to resize the window to a "preferred" size depending on the contents [of the window].

winwintoo
Nov 13, 2004, 06:41 PM

I just installed a virus scanner on my P�C laptop and out of 15 skins that were available for it, 2 were blatant OSX, and a couple were pretty close.

We're winning!

So far I haven't found anything there that I'd want on my Mac.

Margaret

xkidmidnightx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 07:29 PM

Decent resizing of windows without stuttering. Why can't OSX do this when windows has been doing it since 95? Scrolling webpages without slowing the system to a crawl. And something like the Windows Picture and Fax viewer. I hate the Ctrl A method of having to load all the pictures in a folder into preview to scroll through them. I don't see why you can't just open one then left and right arrow to the next one like in windows.

Other than that OSX is great. Just make it a bit "snappier".

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 08:29 PM

I would never want Mac OS X to be like Windows in any way. I embrace the differences, and it's those differences that keep me and everyone else using Macs. Fact is that most of the features in Windows can be emulated on the Mac. I recently asked about "active desktop" in Windows, and if there was a way to achieve this in OS X. Yup. Folks pointed me to WebDesktop. Just what I was looking for!

I do applaud folks for picking at OS X and bringing up the little things (maybe not so little to them) they don't like or would like to see changed/improved. This is how change starts.

If there was one thing about Windows I'd like to see in the Mac platform it would be the level of public acceptance. More Mac users! But then I guess we all can't "get it."

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 09:10 PM

Ok, I know that I will probably get flamed. But here it goes: I wish Apple licenses DirectX technology from Microsoft.

OpenGL is fine as a technology, but Microsoft has won the game development API war too. With DirectX, Apple can finally convince the game developer to support Mac. For many young teens who would rather have a PC than Mac, it is because of the computer games.

However, I doubt Microsoft will release its tight control on PC gamers' market.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2004, 09:44 PM

Really I can think of only about two things:

1. Windows API in OS X. Not the OS, but the windows inside a program idea that lets you tile and cascade. Prime example, IRC. I need to monitor two or more chat windows at work. On Windows it was easy, most IRC programs put each channel in a window inside the main window, then as long as I had the ones I needed to monitor, I could hit Tile and see all of them equally proportioned. I have yet to find an OS X IRC program with enough flexibility to allow me to do this, and still allow resizing of each chat window individually.

2. Network browsing that works. Jaguar was a joke, and Panther is also still a joke on any size network with Windows shares, or properly advertised NFS shares.
<This space under renovation>

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 11:55 PM

I like the window resize button on Windows. I like the faster gaming abilities. Don't you just love the cockroach add (above) for a free Apple G5 desktop? It makes my skin crawl. I fear my laptop will be over run with roaches if I shoot one. Have you noticed when ever you spray a roach they always run after you? But I digress.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I like the window resize button on Windows. I like the faster gaming abilities. Don't you just love the cockroach add (above) for a free Apple G5 desktop? It makes my skin crawl. I fear my laptop will be over run with roaches if I shoot one. Have you noticed when ever you spray a roach they always run after you? But I digress.
Sorry, but we don't have roaches in our home to concur that with you.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 01:59 AM

Quite a few things, actually. But the biggest is ongoing vendor support.

Windows does many things haphazardly, but vendor support is top notch--it has to be, as they're used in office environments with mixed machines and peripherals.

That means that a printer from 1996 works about the same in Windows in 2004. It's an impressive achievement, even though it means they have to haul and work with a lot of crufty code.

Apple goes the other direction--esp. since OS X, it seems like there's hardly any legacy support. My friend bought a LaCie CD burner that worked under 10.1.5 that wasn't supported in Jaguar. AND HE BOUGHT IT AT THE APPLE STORE! That's ridiculous, and all too common from Apple.

Apple needs to throw down more QA money and t9ime to prevent stuff like this from happening. I'm hopeful that the slowing of the "yearly" updates will help that trend. But it is a major advantage of Windows.

When things work on Macs, they tend to work effortlessly, but when things don't work it is often an insoluble issue. On the Windows side less things work effortlessly, but there's often wiggle room and support tools that let you knock the offending hardware until it does what you want. I wish we had a greater degree of that on the Mac side.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 02:00 AM

Oh, and window resizing is embarassing, esp. before Panther.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2004, 11:42 AM

Bzzzzzt! Wrong forum!

The PowerBook forum is for PowerBook-specific questions. This in no way qualifies.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules