Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newbie setting up a new Powerbook

Newbie setting up a new Powerbook
cyberprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:58 PM

I know there's a saying that goes, "don't count your chicks until they are hatched," but since my Powerbook is going to be my biggest investment to date, I really want to be ready when it comes.

Last time i rushed the whole process of getting my iPod. In a few days I had it all scratched and by the time I got a screen protector it was too late.

Now before my 15" Powerbook SD arrives I would like to seek your help (all who have gone before). Could you provide me with some tips, reminders and instructions on what to do first, how to set it up, things to keep in mind and not to forget?

Anything and everything I might need to know.

Thanks in advance.

69camaro
Nov 19, 2004, 01:44 PM

All I can truly say is enjoy it and dont be afraid to use it. You won't really scratch it unless you do anything drastic. if anything really happens, AppleCare is your friend.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 01:58 PM

Do the battery calibration based on the instruction which comes with the PB.

I agree with 69camaro that PB Al is difficult to have scratches. I had mine for over a year, no dent or scratches. And I take it to work everyday for last four months (in a sleeve).

Get yourself a light notebook sleeve which tightly fits your PB before you put it in your backpack to avoid accidental scratches with other stuffs.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 03:00 PM

not sure if it's still an issue on the aluminum books, but a screen protector, or just a sheet of paper can keep your screen from getting dirty/scratched.

and I second the battery thing. (mostly it just means charge it fully, let it empty fully, (and repeat)). The more often/consistently you do this the longer your battery will last.
cpac

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 04:23 PM

Enjoy.
You'll be just fine.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 04:41 PM

Ditto with above comment. The only I would do is make sure everything is in working order. Also you might wanna download PixelCheck to see if you have any dead pixels.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cyberprince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2004, 03:28 AM

Thanks to those who have answered so far.

One question though about battery life. I was told that for normal use the battery should not be fully discharged. Better to be kept charged.

I have one question about using it the whole day. If I was to use it for a long period of time do I keep it plugged in the whole time?

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by cyberprince:
Thanks to those who have answered so far.

One question though about battery life. I was told that for normal use the battery should not be fully discharged. Better to be kept charged.

I have one question about using it the whole day. If I was to use it for a long period of time do I keep it plugged in the whole time?
Well, the less time you run it on battery, the fewer discharge cycles you end up using and the longer the battery will last. There's no specific reason why it can't be discharged completely. After the initial charge cycle, you can pretty much do what you want.

You can keep it plugged in the whole time, shouldn't be a problem.

FYI, Apple has a couple pages about battery maintenance:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

meatyocre
Nov 20, 2004, 12:54 PM

As stated above the battery calibration is key to a long battery life. Also, here are some basic laptop care tips:
http://www.shaggymac.com/plugged.html

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 04:18 PM

get Safesware.com insurance......GREAT PEACE OF MIND!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
get Safesware.com insurance......GREAT PEACE OF MIND!

safeware.com (no "s") (sure that was a typo, romeosc!)

insurance is a great thing for laptops, and safeware is affordable and reliable.

enjoy your pb!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
safeware.com (no "s") (sure that was a typo, romeosc!)

insurance is a great thing for laptops, and safeware is affordable and reliable.

enjoy your pb!
yes it was a typo, also insure your iPod, etc at same time!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2004, 02:43 AM

Just get a nice sleave or case (as stated above). I would also consider getting a screensavRz from radtech.us for like $15. It's expensive for what it is, but it keeps your screan from getting messed up, and gives you something soft to wipe down your whole machine with. If you think about it $15 for a $2500 notebook isn't that much...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules