Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > airport express with a hard drive in it?

airport express with a hard drive in it?
mattmarshall
Senior User
Dec 8, 2004, 01:17 AM

heloo

is there any product out there that sort of combines airport express and an external hard drive? i have an old powerbook, and i keep all my mp3's and stuff on a firewire drive. this keeps me kind of tethered, so i have can't really benefit from airport epress.

i would love it if i could plug my firewire drive into airport express, setting up a file-server, in a sense.

does anything do this?

- matt

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 03:38 AM

I don't believe this is possible, though it would be cool

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 11:39 PM

This is closest to what you want. A wireless network router with USB 2.0 connector to an external disk drive or a flash memory drive. (Don't believe it supports Mac though)

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=43&prid=640

I don't believe anyone making a firewire model either.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by mattmarshall:
heloo

is there any product out there that sort of combines airport express and an external hard drive? i have an old powerbook, and i keep all my mp3's and stuff on a firewire drive. this keeps me kind of tethered, so i have can't really benefit from airport epress.

i would love it if i could plug my firewire drive into airport express, setting up a file-server, in a sense.

does anything do this?

- matt
What you want is an 802.11 NAS device (network attached storage).

I'd have to dig, but I bet Linksys or D-Link might sell something like this. Search for "wireless NAS" in Google and I'll be you can find something like this.

You'd probably want to be quite careful to make sure your network is encrypted. Note the prices on this will probably be all over the map... from say $400 at the consumer level to far over $1K for devices intended to be used by companies. I see Iomega did a press release -- never investigated any of the products.

Also be aware sharing will most likely be over Samba -- Windows file sharing protocol. No big deal, OS X works with it great, but you wouldn't want to use it with forked files.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 01:25 AM

Looking at these myself:

Tritton NAS

Buffalo Tech

Axentra
Backup your Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules