Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will Airport Express work for me?

Will Airport Express work for me?
JMII
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2004, 03:29 PM

I'm looking to play some on-line games with my PlayStation 2. However it is located downstairs and my DSL connection (router) is upstairs attached to my MDD G4. Now I could run a Cat5 cable, but that would be a major pain... plus the wife freaks out when I start re-wiring things.

So from what I understand Airport Express will allow me to "share" my DSL connection wirelessly and thus do the job. Am I right? If so I could also stream my iTunes songs downstairs to my home theather system which would be a nice bonus.

Just looking for confirmation before I spend the $$. I'm just not sure the connection works going both ways. IE: the PS2 will be connected to the ethernet jack of the Airport Express and connect itself to the internet wirelessly via the Airport Card in my G4 which is already "on line" (via my router). Also will the speed be good enough for online gaming?

- John

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:31 PM

Don't think so.

JMII  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2004, 03:34 PM

Just to further clarify I don't need to be able to do BOTH (be on-line and stream music) at the same time. As I'm sure that would suck up most of the bandwidth and slow things down.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 10:03 PM

You need something like this

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...d=38&prid=558.

Use it as a wireless ethernet bridge to Airport Express or any other wireless router. If you buy other wireless router with ethernet ports, you don't need additional wireless card for your Mac (plug your Mac into one of the port using wire). They are a lot cheaper than Airport Express.

Check out their user guide for setup help. Only problem to find out is whether it will provide good reception in the different floor where your game console is located.

The basic setup is
Airport Express to your DSL connection.
Wireless Game Adapter (Wireless ethernet bridge mode) to your game console.
Game console --> Wireless Game Adapter --> Airport Express --> Internet
Computer --> Airport Extreme Card --> Airport Express --> Internet, or
Computer --> Wireless router with ports --> Internet
( Last edited by iPoder; Dec 11, 2004 at 10:12 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules