Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pictures of your iMac setup

Pictures of your iMac setup (Page 5)
slapdash
Feb 4, 2005, 07:59 PM

I sold my dual G4 867 a few months back and finally replaced it with an iMac 20". Awesome piece of gear this, no dead/stuck/lit pixels and no noisy fan, so I finally got lucky. Added 512 of RAM and a AE card. Very, very happy with this setup.

Anyhow, here's a shot of my workstation as it is now (and yes, I'm 28 and still play with Transformers lol):

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by slapdash:
I sold my dual G4 867 a few months back and finally replaced it with an iMac 20". Awesome piece of gear this, no dead/stuck/lit pixels and no noisy fan, so I finally got lucky. Added 512 of RAM and a AE card. Very, very happy with this setup.

Anyhow, here's a shot of my workstation as it is now (and yes, I'm 28 and still play with Transformers lol):

nice setup
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Sir Arthur Dent
Feb 8, 2005, 02:47 PM

Mine's pretty simple.

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 06:35 AM

Sir Arthur Dent that is a nice setup what's the view like out the window?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by wlfaltera:
There's my 20" iMac G5 setup:

I need that desk for the ofice in my new house...

Where did you get it from?
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Sir Arthur Dent:
Mine's pretty simple.

Is that a Kensington SlimType keyboard? How do you like it? Does it have extra USB ports to plug in mice and other peripherals? Nice setup BTW.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
Is that a Kensington SlimType keyboard? How do you like it? Does it have extra USB ports to plug in mice and other peripherals? Nice setup BTW.
kikkoman

I have a slimtype keyboard that I got for christmas. i don't like it very much. The small foorprint is very nice, and the keys are pretty nice to type on, but I made a lot of typing errors on it, and I was really irritated by the spacebar because it takes a lil more effort to push it down far enough so that it puts a space in whatever you are typing. Another annoying thing is that it doesn't have USB ports on it, I had to get USB Hub just to ensure I could use the rest of my USB devices at the same time.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 05:01 PM

Here you go (Bout time)

Couple of shots in all its glory

The 20" is a beast :thumbs:
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

antiglobal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 01:44 AM

I think that is THE perfect area for an iMac. Retro-meets-modern style.

galvs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 11:27 AM

Why you ask that? maibe because the living room whith two "spaces"?
No, I have wife and two little boys, I am an architect and my "setup" is my home office.
Thanks!

the corporation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 12:28 PM

Verrrry swank!

mrplow
Mar 13, 2005, 07:13 PM

Just rearranged my room today, surely it's not the best.. but I'm content. Although, a 30" LCD is becoming my obsession.

g2h0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 05:38 PM

20 incher

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 08:19 PM

Where'd you find that chair , that's exactly what I've been looking for!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

g2h0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 04:51 PM

I picked it up at the local salvation army. Its actually wider than it looks in the picture and makes for a very comfortable chair.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 06:07 PM

Damn!!!!! Nice find.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 06:14 PM

Should I buy a 17" or 20" iMac?

Money/price difference is not a big concern in the sense that I can afford something if it is worth getting it.

Is the 20" worth the extra cost?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2005, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Should I buy a 17" or 20" iMac?

Money/price difference is not a big concern in the sense that I can afford something if it is worth getting it.

Is the 20" worth the extra cost?
If money is no concern, yes! When it comes to screens, bigger is almost always better. You can always use more display area. And, especially with the iMac, it makes a lot of sense because you can't swap the display later without swapping the entire Mac as well. The 20" screen is gorgeous and the iMac G5 looks much nicer with the 20" screen proportions (white lip looks less bulky) than the 17".

OTOH iMac update rumors (speed bump to 2.0 GHz seems to be the consensus) are floating around. If you don't need it right now, you could wait. If you need it, go for it.
•

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 01:33 PM

If I decide to buy it, I will buy it in September.

I'll see what revision they have then. My 867Mhz PB 12" is starting to really feel old now and won't be supported in Tiger completely (CoreImage and CoreVideo)

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 08:18 PM

If you have the wherewithal to buy a 20" iMac, by all means go for it. I just got a Dell 2005FPW (same basic panel as the iMac) and I'm surprised at how much information I can squeeze on to a 1680x1050 screen at once without having to resort to Expos�: two IM contact lists, two or three IM chats, a mini-mode iTunes window, and a fairly large Safari window.

The only real reason to get a 17" iMac is money. If you simply don't run many apps when on the computer, or would rather roll the money into accessories and upgrades, why spend $1899 when $1299 or $1499 will do the trick?
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 11:27 AM

Here's my modest setup:

Grape iMac DV400
Samsung 710N LCD
OWC 250GB Firewire HD
Canon iP3000 printer
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
If you have the wherewithal to buy a 20" iMac, by all means go for it. I just got a Dell 2005FPW (same basic panel as the iMac) and I'm surprised at how much information I can squeeze on to a 1680x1050 screen at once without having to resort to Expos�: two IM contact lists, two or three IM chats, a mini-mode iTunes window, and a fairly large Safari window.

The only real reason to get a 17" iMac is money. If you simply don't run many apps when on the computer, or would rather roll the money into accessories and upgrades, why spend $1899 when $1299 or $1499 will do the trick?
Does the Dell monitor have VGA input?

What's your opinion on me keeping my Rev A 2" PB for another year or so, buying a 19" or 20" LCD monitor instead with an external keyboard and mouse.

I'm not a pro. I don't do pro Photoshop, or Final Cut or anything. I just type in Word, use iMovie and Garageband occasionally, and do Safari and email and iTunes.

I want to have a desktop setup, but if I have an external monitor and keyboard/mouse then my PB will become a defacto desktop machine right?

I'm willing to wait longer to buy a machine which is far more powerful than my Powerbook than the current iMac. I'd rather wait and buy a 2.3Ghz iMac than buy a 1.8Ghz iMac sooner. The 867Mhz G4 isn't that bad, but it just feels slow at times.

mpic
Mar 20, 2005, 02:27 PM

Can you say Dual monitors . iMac G5 17" 1.6Ghz . Little messy but under reorganization. https://home.comcast.net/~mrp978/ima...almonitors.jpg
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]iMac G5 1.6GHz 768MB ram Dual Monitors
Powerbook Lombard 333Mhz[/FONT]

DoFa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 06:49 PM

davidflas, have you tried the monitor spanning hack? looks like you've got your monitor mirrored now.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 03:58 AM

DoFa, nah man he is haxorated ok, the main window in the middle spans across the two screen

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
What's your opinion on me keeping my Rev A 2" PB for another year or so, buying a 19" or 20" LCD monitor instead with an external keyboard and mouse.
I have a rev B 12" powerbook and I hook it up to my Apple 20". I mostly like the setup, great portability and big screen at home. However, if you're on the go a lot, plugging/unplugging cables gets pretty annoying after awhile (especially if you have a lot of devices). It's not a huge complaint, and synching a laptop and a desktop might be even more annoying, but it's something to consider.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
I have a rev B 12" powerbook and I hook it up to my Apple 20". I mostly like the setup, great portability and big screen at home. However, if you're on the go a lot, plugging/unplugging cables gets pretty annoying after awhile (especially if you have a lot of devices). It's not a huge complaint, and synching a laptop and a desktop might be even more annoying, but it's something to consider.
They aren't cheap, but this should solve the problem: http://www.photo-control.com/bookendz/be03g412d.htm
•

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by gsxrboy:
DoFa, nah man he is haxorated ok, the main window in the middle spans across the two screen
Uhhh...noooooooo... he was refering to davidflas not mpic .

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by DoFa:
davidflas, have you tried the monitor spanning hack? looks like you've got your monitor mirrored now.
As far as I know the spanning hack doesn't work with CRT iMacs..
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Uhhh...noooooooo... he was refering to davidflas not mpic .
I see you spotted by intentional mistake to make sure you were still paying attention to the thread ! Good work

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 04:14 AM

Awesome...I passed!!!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 03:12 AM

bump!

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 12:07 PM

i'd be itching to show off my setup...all these "i just bought an G5 iMac" members are full of bologna...prove it!

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 01:05 AM

icibaqu
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 01:07 AM

you need wider furniture homeslice

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas
As far as I know the spanning hack doesn't work with CRT iMacs..

Hey Ya David. Up till recently I used SwitchRes w/ my imac dv 400 indigo. The pos sony monitor died so now I use the crummy internal. Point is I was able to get 1260x1024 natively on the monitor. It would turn off the internal monitor because it obviously can't render that resolution. So my suggestion is to find out the native and max res on that flat panel. Use Switch Res. Stuff the imac underneath the desk and enjoy your lcd.

http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/indexSRX.html
Works In Tiger.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13
Hey Ya David. Up till recently I used SwitchRes w/ my imac dv 400 indigo. The pos sony monitor died so now I use the crummy internal. Point is I was able to get 1260x1024 natively on the monitor. It would turn off the internal monitor because it obviously can't render that resolution. So my suggestion is to find out the native and max res on that flat panel. Use Switch Res. Stuff the imac underneath the desk and enjoy your lcd.

http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/indexSRX.html
Works In Tiger.

Thanks Dex13, I'll look into it right away! The native res of the flat panel is 1280x1024 and I could sure use the extra room while I save up for my iMac G5.

Davidflas

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2005, 03:09 PM

this desk is temporary until college

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 04:12 PM

Some nice setups! I can't wait until I get mine! It should ship on or before 5/20/05 along with a VESA adapter and a wall mount I ordered separately! Pictures soon to follow.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 11:17 PM

Just got my iLift LCD arm for my new 20" iMac.

Check it out here:

http://homepage.mac.com/kkeyes/PhotoAlbum84.html

This is a very sturdy, high quality, adjustable unit. It can be thru-bolt mounted, edge clamp mounted (my setup), or wall mounted.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

HamSandwich
May 18, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot

Check it out here:

This is a very sturdy, high quality, adjustable unit. It can be thru-bolt mounted, edge clamp mounted (my setup), or wall mounted.
Niiiiice!

sworthy
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:46 AM

Can you find the iLift for less than $339?

yvovandoorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 01:56 AM

My setup... I know about the wires. Sucks having the network coming into your room (plus cable modem). But I try... I try very hard to keep it clean.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 01:57 AM

Check it out here:

Wow. Just Wow. very nice setup, nice collection. I like the screenshot of OS 1.0 I think a G4 cube would fit in well too.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

akghetto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 07:49 AM

Check it out here:

:drool:

That iLift looks fabulous. So good in fact I just ordered one. Wow. Thank you for the gorgeous pics.

as2
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 03:46 PM

Ok, so I FINALLY! got my new iMac G5 yesterday.

After many hours of transferring data and getting things how I like them here are som pics of my current setup.

[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 03:54 PM

iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Wow. Just Wow. very nice setup, nice collection. I like the screenshot of OS 1.0 I think a G4 cube would fit in well too.
Thanks!

Just ordered the Bose Companions because they will attach nicely to the side of the iMac. I like the design and compact nature of the system.

Yeah, I have always wanted a Cube. It was tough getting rid of my Powerbook/Cinema Display setup but with my new job I don't travel so I decided to pull the trigger on the new iMacs. Loving this machine.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Jeepguy01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 01:54 AM

Here we go, guys! I finally got my iMac set up. Thanks to all for your advice.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sworthy
Can you find the iLift for less than $339?
http://store.yahoo.com/eca/lcdmoarmfora.html
$329

Forum Links
Forum Rules