Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where exactly in Tiger is Core Video ?

Where exactly in Tiger is Core Video ?
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 08:55 PM

When Steve Jobs introduced Tiger at the begining of the year he made me excited about the Core Video feature yet I can't seem to see anything about it here http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html
nor has anyone in this forum or ther forum sites made mention of this feature ?

When Steve introed this feature it seemed to be possible to directly intervene in Video footage diectly thru the system. He was using it to demonstrate how we would usually use a video editing process, but he may have been demonstrating it thru iMovie, although when I downloaded and watched several times his netcast of Tiger at WWDC he appeared only to be using the system ?

Perhaps its a hidden feature of Quicktime Pro ?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 09:19 PM

The A/V controls in QuickTime Player (or rather the effects of the Video settings therein) use CoreVideo.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 09:28 PM

CoreVideo is just CoreImage used on video. It just displays CoreImage's power by using it 24-30 times a second. Video is no different than Image, it's just the number of them.

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 09:57 PM

So is it a really cool facility or was it part of the hype whether for end users or developers ?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 10:24 PM

i saw it as hype for the end user, to get us salivating over the potential of Tiger.

and for developers, another "tool" in Tiger to make their software that much better. I just see it as somethign else that we will see making our lives easier once developers incorporate things into their software.

but I could be wrong
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 10:45 PM

I'm still interested to here some comments from people who have accessed this feature. Perhaps I ought to hav posted this in the video forum ?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:57 PM

No, it would only have been "accessed" in the programming forum

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2005, 11:46 PM

Like Erik said, CoreVideo itself is an extension of CoreImage, which is a very cool and powerful technology that allows programmers to create and apply fast image filters without spending an Adobe-like amount of time on development. I would say it's more than just hype.

As for where it's located: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework.

By the way, if you're interested in seeing it in action, there are a couple of CoreVideo examples (as well as Core Image Fun House) that come with the Xcode Tools. The examples aren't very useful, of course; they're just technology demonstrations. One converts a video into black-and-white scanlines (kind of), and the other composites several videos over each other in various shapes.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 21, 2005 at 11:54 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 06:37 AM

I see, so its a programers tool. Thanks for pointing out where its located but I haven't yet upgraded to Tiger . I have only just arrived at Panther, call me reserved if you like but just take a look at the the number of negative posts about Tiger in this Forum. Looking at the contents of these posts I am quite happy to stay at 10.3.9. You see originally the hype and even Apple itself was promoting 200 new applications and as we can see that they heve now stepped back from that outrageous claim to call 200 new applications to 200 new features, a feature is hardly an application ?

When I saw that WWDC address about Core Video it excited my sense, I wrongly assumed that external apps were begining to become intergral participtors within the System itself !

I will probably upgrade after a majority uses in this forum report positive feedback. Its certainly a hassle upgrading to a new system. I would have thought that by now as OS X is maturing so that Apple in designing a new system would be able to design the system so that 3rd party apps, plugins and perhaps even open source apps had a special compartmentalised home within the system or somehow adjunct to it. Perhaps another way round the complex matter of installing a new system is to actually sell a hard drive with a preinstalled system on it. Its kind of odd that they haven't thought of this yet. An iPod (except for the mini's and flash) is afterall a hard drive , although I expect sometime in the near future the System will be installed insome kind of Ram Chip ?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 06:57 AM

I think far more users would have problems with switching the hard drive in their Mac than with installing a system update. And then what about your data?

A system update isn't that hard as you make it look. You just here more often about problems because there's hardly a point in posting that everything went fine.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by pcd2k
You see originally the hype and even Apple itself was promoting 200 new applications and as we can see that they heve now stepped back from that outrageous claim to call 200 new applications to 200 new features, a feature is hardly an application ?
Apple never claimed 200 new applications, I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I saw that WWDC address about Core Video it excited my sense, I wrongly assumed that external apps were begining to become intergral participtors within the System itself !
What on earth are you on about? Core Video is a technology included with OS X. The WWDC address was intended at developers, and showed a few applications developed in-house at Apple as technology demonstrations to give the audience a feel for what was possible. They weren't useful, just play things that are cool to look at and inspire.

I would have thought that by now as OS X is maturing so that Apple in designing a new system would be able to design the system so that 3rd party apps, plugins and perhaps even open source apps had a special compartmentalised home within the system or somehow adjunct to it.
What are you talking about? 3rd party applications are generally installed into /Applications, and are not touched when you upgrade to a new release.

Perhaps another way round the complex matter of installing a new system is to actually sell a hard drive with a preinstalled system on it. Its kind of odd that they haven't thought of this yet.
But then you lose all the stuff on your existing HD, and have to dismantle your hardware. The reason people haven't thought of this is because it's a stupid idea.

An iPod (except for the mini's and flash) is afterall a hard drive , although I expect sometime in the near future the System will be installed insome kind of Ram Chip ?
No, it won't. Why would you expect that?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 09:00 AM

thanks for the suggestions for some of those dev apps. I haven't got a clue what I'm doing but they look very impressive

my Tiger install went fine btw (upgrade) - it does have a few things to fix but overall its cool and faster and Spotlight is v useful.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by pcd2k
I see, so its a programers tool.
I'm not sure if I would call it a 'tool', per se, because when I hear the word 'tool' I think of apps like XCode and Interface Builder. Core Video is not an application, but an API, or Application Programming Interface. It is a technology which developers can use to build certain features into their applications.

Currently it is not used for very much in Tiger itself, simply because there are relatively few places it would apply. QuickTime Player uses it, of course, and I believe Quartz Composer also uses it for certain things. It is probably safe to assume that iMovie and iDVD will use it in their next releases, as will the Pro line of apps (FCP and Motion should be particularly interesting).

However, in the OS itself, and in apps which one could justify including with an OS, there just aren't many areas where Core Video would apply well. It is a feature meant more for third-party developers, just as Core Image and Core Audio are.
I have only just arrived at Panther, call me reserved if you like but just take a look at the the number of negative posts about Tiger in this Forum.
Of course there are negative posts; this is, after all, a support forum. People come here when they have problems, and so we are not exactly a representative sample of Tiger users as a whole. It is very rare that someone posts to say that everything's fine, and this has been true since the very beginning.
You see originally the hype and even Apple itself was promoting 200 new applications...
They never said this.
...and as we can see that they heve now stepped back from that outrageous claim to call 200 new applications to 200 new features...
This is the claim they have always made. Actually, I believe it's been '200 new applications and features', if you want to be technical about it.
a feature is hardly an application ?
Certainly not always.
What gave you that impression?
I will probably upgrade after a majority uses in this forum report positive feedback.
Then you will be waiting a very long time indeed. Although this forum has somewhat less of a bias than, say, thalo.net, we exist to help people with problems, and so it is natural that they will congregate here. If you want a more balanced view of things, I suggest trying a site which targets Mac users in general, such as VersionTracker or MacUpdate. As I write this, both of these sites are showing user reviews at an average of four stars out of five, with MacUpdate listing 594 reviews and VersionTracker listing a whopping 3,493 reviews. Is this positive enough for you?
I would have thought that by now as OS X is maturing so that Apple in designing a new system would be able to design the system so that 3rd party apps, plugins and perhaps even open source apps had a special compartmentalised home within the system or somehow adjunct to it.
I don't understand. Are you talking about the /Applications folder, or are you asking Apple to somehow magically upgrade people's apps for them without changing any code in those apps?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules