Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > P. 9 inconsistences dilemna on a mini

P. 9 inconsistences dilemna on a mini
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 05:25 PM

I was helping a platform switcher, navigate Panther on her mini recently and some of the much anticipated elements of OS X (ie that I'm presently familiar with) were completely missing ??

Does the Panther os on a mini have somekind of truncated version of 10.3.9. ?

What I mean is I am currrently enmeshed in 10.3.9 (p.9) on my newly acquired Quicksilver, so when I experienced the mini I discovered small annoying inconsistencies between my use of p.9 and the mini's version ?

For insistence Safari doesn't have the G search window ( I installed the latest version, but hey still no G.search window ?

Then again when I was demoing how to change the finder and system preferences some of the most helpful icons weren't even present.

There's probably a simple explanation, ?

My friend bought it from the Apple store just before Tiger was released, So someone at Apple obviously installed the system which possibly means that they
purposefully installed a simply atrocious customised installation ?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 05:46 PM

No, there's no such thing as a stripped down version of the OS. There are, however, Limited users, who are restricted in certain ways and can only run an administrator designated subset of applications. As far as the Google search field, go to View and check "Google Search." If System Preferences panes are missing, there is the possibility that they were deleted. You would really have to be more specific concerning those things if you want better explanations/suggestions. Btw, no one refers to the system software as p.9 - is that short for Panther 10.3.9?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules