Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Was that dark theme that supposedly cured cancer and ended world hunger ever released

Was that dark theme that supposedly cured cancer and ended world hunger ever released
JimmySmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 04:30 PM

I don't remember the name but there was some dark theme shapeshifter theme that some people claimed would cure cancer, end world hunger, and kill bill gates. Apparently the author released a preview picture and a thread here had 30 pages or so of replies. Anyone remember the theme I am trying to think of?

revmitcz
Jan 31, 2006, 04:37 PM

We don't speak of that theme around here.
The mere mention of it has been shown to cause great depression, angst and debae amongst the forum-goers.
RevMitcz.com : home of moi.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 04:46 PM

Now I'm curious.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 04:55 PM

Omega? wasnt it i think

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 05:33 PM

see - - - now someone had do go say something crazy like the "O - word" and NOW there is no choice but to lock this thang before it grows three heads from shattered mind of William B . . .
we don't say the O - word anymore!!!

theyoda3
Jan 31, 2006, 07:35 PM

Whatever you do, don't look for the theme. I found the teaser and now I'm sad that it was never released... not even a glimpse. Now I long for it. Do not look at the teaser, it will only torment you. You are better off not knowing... I was better off not knowing.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 07:40 PM

Ahhh I take it BBX:Omega will never see the light of day then?

Damn that was a nice looking theme....shame

JimmySmith  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Macadvo
Ahhh I take it BBX:Omega will never see the light of day then?

Damn that was a nice looking theme....shame
Yeah, that was it. Anyone can photoshop anything. I think it was all a bunch of hooie.

ICD2k3
Jan 31, 2006, 10:52 PM

The myth lives on
( Last edited by ICD2k3; Jan 31, 2006 at 11:38 PM. )
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

Jay Condon
Feb 1, 2006, 12:59 AM

Seeing as we're opening old wound here, we might as well mention the N word. Yup, Nickel Cobalt. I said it. So there.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by JimmySmith
Yeah, that was it. Anyone can photoshop anything. I think it was all a bunch of hooie.
Part of the reason why it became so painful as it was delayed/not yet released is because the man behind it isn't just an "anyone" in PS. He's Bill Bart (BBX), a really insanely talented GUI artist.

Go here: http://theskinsfactory.com/skinsfactory/

Check out the WMP skins, he did several including the one for Batman Begins, Alienware, and T3.

Also, just to clarify things, while Omega has yet to see light as a functioning theme, it actually IS fully designed as a mockup (with most if not all UI elements completed). A big part of the reason why it isn't out yet is due to ShapeShifter not yet supporting several of its 'features' as a theme.

Remember that ShapeShifter was actually planned to be released with this theme, but did not have the featureset at 1.0. Bill had a large role in the project (he did the icon for one), and the developer of ShapeShifter (Jason Harris) is continuing to work on these features. ShapeShifter 3 might be the version where Omega as conceived would be technically feasible, though I won't go as far as to say Omega would be included.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 07:20 AM

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 09:25 AM

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by FB Eye
rofl

I still have a secret desire that William Bart will just release Omega without any kind of pre-announcement. We'll all wake up one day and it will "just be there"

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 11:37 AM

i'm not sure i ever saw Omega. i'm still hoping for Orion to be released...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2006, 01:16 PM

What cracks me up about this is that everyone always says "that theme looked cool!" Yet, no preview of the theme was ever released (to the public anyway). A few teaser images – which had NO ACTUAL GUI ELEMENTS IN IT, and one preview of a potential iTunes remote and a folder icon are all anyone knows of what this theme might look like.

This is one of those times when people let they hype & Bill's reputation get WWAAAAAaaaaaaaaayyyyyy out of control, people most decidedly drank the Kool-Aid on this one.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules