Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook vs MacBook Pro Screen

MacBook vs MacBook Pro Screen
ThMooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 02:29 PM

I was wondering how everyone feels the MacBook screen stacks up against the new MacBook Pro LED screen in terms of brightness and color accuracy? I had a MacBook Pro (2 of them) but ended up returning them due to the yellowish tint on the bottom 1/3 of the screen. I ended up with my current MacBook 2.16.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2007, 03:14 PM

THe MBP led is certainly brighter, but from my small time with it (hour or so) I'd says it's also pretty accurate. I like it.

This was a glossy, by the way.

ThMooner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
THe MBP led is certainly brighter, but from my small time with it (hour or so) I'd says it's also pretty accurate. I like it.

This was a glossy, by the way.
Yes, I was looking at the glossy. Just not sure if the screen is a good enough reason to unload my 1 month old MacBook for a Pro. Ughhhhh decisions.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 06:55 PM

We have found the LED displays to be bluer than their predecessors if anything.

ThMooner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
We have found the LED displays to be bluer than their predecessors if anything.
Have you any experience with both the pro and macbook screens? Thanks

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2007, 12:28 AM

After using a MacBook all day today, I can honestly say that I absolutely cannot stand the screen. I'm not sure if it's the glossy coating or just a terrible panel, but the viewing angles, both horizontal and vertical, are terrible - color shift even if your face is an inch or two off center. I switched out to another MB halfway through (helping classmates set theirs up for school in the fall, in case anyone was curious) and it was the same.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

ThMooner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 07:11 AM

Have you had an opportunity to work with the new MacBook Pro?

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2007, 10:50 AM

I have, though not nearly for the same length of time, and I find the screen to be better in almost every way. The one I worked with yesterday was a floor model, and as such still had the yellow tint issues - but supposedly those are fixed. I worked only with the matte version, no chance with the glossy.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2007, 11:00 AM

i have an MB black.. looking forward to getting a MBP. lets see what gets released on tuesday first

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 02:17 PM

I have used plenty of MacBooks, but mostly inside a workshop with no natural light. They are great in such environments. But if you work mostly in bright places or out of doors, you may struggle with any glossy display.

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 07:34 PM

I own a Macbook and use it almost all the time, its constantly on. Some things that I have noticed are:

- Macbook Glossy screen is terrible in well illuminated areas.
- Awful viewing angle
- Almost unusable in the sun
- Very good in low lighting conditions, like a dark room or poorly illuminated classroom

A friend of mine owns a Macbook Pro, its not the new LED ones but the matte screen is relatively superior in all cases, it works really well in the sun and can easily be used outside.

ThMooner  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks I appreciate the help. My local Apple Store doesn't have any MacBook pros and has o idea when they will get them so for now I'm on hold. Maybe the best thing is to wait for Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules