Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark 6.52 vs Mac OS X 10.6.7

Quark 6.52 vs Mac OS X 10.6.7
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011, 08:18 PM

OK... transferred my Quark 6.52 to my new iMac w/OS X 10.6.7 because some client dragged in a job I did a few years ago and wanted to update it. I used my disks and installed it. I had no desire to recreate this job in InDesign... but Quark has been acting a little bit batty... like F7 no longer works to hide/display guides... it freezes when I try to create a new re-numbered section... there are a couple of other issues but they are all able to be worked around...

I am not buying any new Quark anytime soon. I barely use it anymore... but... has anyone experienced this? Is Quark 6.52 too old and in the way for Mac OS X 10.6.7?

Just wondering...

Thorzdad
Jun 5, 2011, 09:01 PM

Did you transfer the app to your iMac, or did you do a new install? You seem to say both.
It's running in Rosetta, right? I can't recall if Quark 6.5 was a universal app or a PPC app. It's possible it's just a bit too old to run right.

FWIW, I ran across this thread at Planet Quark, regarding Q6.5 running in Leopard. It doesn't sound promising. Sorry.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011, 09:18 PM

sorry... it was a new install on the new machine... I will check the link... thanks

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011, 09:20 PM

read that link... weeping weeping...

Thorzdad
Jun 5, 2011, 09:47 PM

My condolences.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2011, 06:04 AM

Oh well... it just means I keep my ol' half- ball shaped 10.3.9 iMac sitting in the corner, to be dusted off for Quark jobs, if they arise...

Thorzdad
Jun 6, 2011, 07:19 AM

I know the feeling. I have a dusty old OS 8.1 PowerComputing machine sitting in a closet that I can't quite force myself to toss, because the version of Photoshop on it has a couple of very cool plug-ins that never made it to OS9, let alone OSX. And one never knows when they might be perfect for a job...

Forum Links
Forum Rules