Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Converting a PDF to Illustrator?

Converting a PDF to Illustrator?
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2012, 01:53 PM

I have CS5

I have a client who wants me to make substantial changes to update a PDF doc.

They have NO source files. Some other designer did them three years ago and they are no longer using that person.

When I try to open the PDF in Illustrator, it converts the fonts to outline EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE FONT. My version is True Type (Gotham family).

Tried saving from Acrobat as an EPS. Same deal when I open the EPS in Illustrator.

As it stands, it looks like I might have to recreate the docs in InDesign, and proceed from there. I can manage to save from PDF to Word, so at least I don't have to type it all in...

OR

Is there a trick or technique I don't know that can help me?

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2012, 03:44 PM

Are they text changes? Why not use Acrobat to make them?

It could be the designer converted to outline before making the pdf, or there is some kind of write protection on it. I've just opened a PDF in illustrator just fine.

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2012, 04:44 PM

Illustrator can be pretty particular about fonts like that. I open tons of PDFs in Illy and, sometimes, even though I think I have the font, I apparently have a different version, and it substitutes a default font. I can't say I've ever had it outline any fonts, though. Just substitute.

Even when I DO have the font, I usually end up re-setting the text anyway, to repair the breaking-apart of lines of type that happens in PDFs.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Are they text changes? Why not use Acrobat to make them?

It could be the designer converted to outline before making the pdf, or there is some kind of write protection on it. I've just opened a PDF in illustrator just fine.
Chunks of changes... replaced paragraphs etc... and the doc not recognizing my fonts
( Last edited by tpicco; Jun 29, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: forgot addl point)

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2012, 08:44 PM

Oh well... I will rebuild them... and charge accordingly...

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2012, 11:38 AM

good luck then, sounds like a PITA.

Thorzdad
Jul 2, 2012, 12:05 PM

I do jobs like this constantly for a small printer I'm friends with. He gets PDF files of brochures from small organizations that they had done themselves to run-off on their office printers. But, not that they feel the need for a better product, the PDFs usually need to be re-formatted for professional printing (add bleed, crops, convert to cmyk, etc.). I usually end-up rebuilding them completely, cleaning-up various horrors of amateur design (or Word-derived design) in the process. Invariably, they've used one oddball font for something, and I have to go hunting the internet, hoping to find some "free" version of the weird font. I've often also ended up re-building logos as vectors, because the low-rez jpeg they used in the PDF was the only version they had.

Forum Links
Forum Rules