Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Design work pricing? help!!

Design work pricing? help!!
mpic
Aug 17, 2002, 12:09 AM

Does anyone do design work on the side? If so can you tell me what you charge for certain stuff? 1. Invitations(any kind) 2. Pamphlets 3. Basic web sites (no flash ect...) Any tips on side work anyone can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]iMac G5 1.6GHz 768MB ram Dual Monitors
Powerbook Lombard 333Mhz[/FONT]

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 12:07 PM

You charge what you can get. The variables are wild, depending on skill, talent, experience, client budget, etc etc. you could always just *ask* your client what kind of budget they had on the last project or what kind of budget they have on this one, and end up playing the game of trying to get the *real* number out including your rates, etc. Personally, I like to contribute to my local community, I make enough salary wise that I don't really have to worry about money too much so I don't usually charge friends, family memebers or non-profits (this one depends, sometimes just on major discount). If you are new to the freelance game you may want to do some work pretty cheap just to get your name out there, upon which you can start to charge more and more. Don't bill a flat rate unless you are doing something really small that is on a major time deadline, or you risk getting the client to squeeze every last bit that they can out of you for that flat rate. Go over contracts with an eagle eye, make sure there are no loopholes and that they are very clear about what you are being hired to do *specifically* and where the borders of what you will be doing are. I bill in thirds, one third of estimated time up front, one third upon delivery of finalized sketches, and the remainder of the hours upon final delivery. I do my best to not deal with the hassles of finding a printer and billing the printer too, I like my clients to do the footwork and headache of that, but I do give recommendations on printers, and will talk to the printer if problems arise during the production process, but I try to stay out of that and deliver my clients a ready-to-press CD.

SO, to answer your question there really isn't an answer, too many variables. You may want to at least get to know some designers in your area to see what *they* can charge (markets vary) and make your price coinside with them, or somewhere around that. Good luck.

mpic  (op)
Aug 18, 2002, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by godzookie2k:
Thanks for the help, but I made a tri-fold pamphlet for this guy and I kinda needed to give him a price for it (he asked to send him a bill). I had to make a logo, add text and get small images. Do you think 100 to 150 is to much? I didnt want to go crazy on the price cuz it was kind of a I can do it for you type job, but it would nice to be compinsated for time spent. I am in the Boston area. Thanks again for your time.

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 04:38 PM

$100 - $150 would be cheating yourself and every freelancer in the boston area. a logo alone should command thousands of dollars. i'm not in boston but the going hourly rate for art direction and design in minneapolis, minnesota is $100 / hour. boston is a more expensive market from what i understand. do some homework before you bill and, for the love of christ, agree to the project / hourly rate PRIOR to doing the work. as suggested earlier i would also present some terms -- common practice is one third up front, one third upon approval and one third upon delivery. good luck.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 08:27 PM

I'd have to disagree. A new designer would be the only kind of designer who would ask for what kind of price to charge for work. That being said, A new/Junior designer can't be expected to charge a hundred +/- bucks an hour for work. Plus, not EVERYONE can pay that kind of rate. 150 is dirt cheap and I think you are ripping yourself, BUT it appears you are new at the game so perhaps that IS ok, it depends alot on the factors I listed above though.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 09:17 PM

To add to the variables mentioned, it also depends on whether you are doing this professionally or as a favor to your client. For example, I run a (mostly) home-based communications business, and have to factor in things like health insurance, benefits, and other overhead costs when determining my rates. At the other extreme, an inexperienced freelancer wouldn't have to worry about overhead, and could charge a lower rate.

mpic  (op)
Aug 22, 2002, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by art_director:
Thank you for your input I appreciate it. I do little side work so I find it hard to land on a price for my time.

kenazo
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 03:30 PM

$100-150 is way too cheap. I am supposing that the client is a real business and not just a friend starting up an e-business from his bedroom. See the thing is that if you want repeat business you don't want to charge exorbitant fees, but if you charge too little you will be working for peanuts every other time you do business with this client for the next year or so. Also, I would never do a project without first agreeing on a hourly rate or if you dare a flat fee.

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 10:40 PM

he / she never said they were a junior designer. rather it was stated this person does not do much freelance on the side. my take is / was this person is not acquainted with pricing conventions.

as for the mention of health insurance and such, i suggest you simply look at the industry standard in boston and price accordingly for your experience, the scope of the job and your relationship to the client. if you do / do not have health insurance should not be a determining factor. you are doing the work for what the market will bear, not for your expenses. take what you can get and make sure it's as much as it can be.

it's business, not art. get what you deserve.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 12:46 AM

or you could be like me and work for beer, the money saved on the bar tab works out to like 400$ (US) an hour.

it's business, not art. get what you deserve.

these are the wisest words you'll probably ever hear, well said.

mpic  (op)
Aug 27, 2002, 07:25 AM

Thanks too all for your advice. Beer is a good idea!

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 06:13 PM

if you can work for beer screw the cash. but make it a microbrew or an fancy import.

scott miester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 12:58 AM

wow - godzookie2k and everyone had some good posts. I have gone through the process of calculating prices, and defining terms /hourly rate etc, and there are many variables. In the beginning of my home based business (web design) I had lots of *extra time* on my hands, and really needed to fill it, so I didn't care what I charged, and looking back, I really undersold myself. It seemed almost automatic to raise my rates/fees as my experience and skills grew, hence the value of the work increased as well. So I would use those factors to arrive at a dollar amount for the service rendered.
Scott "Meister" Allard
http://www.wp2.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules