Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > google earth sooo slow on g5

google earth sooo slow on g5
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 12:40 PM

When I'm flying over places, I get serious lag! Like maybe 2 fps while moving and zooming. It is terribly slow. Anyway to make it go faster?

System specs: Dual 2.7, 3 gig ram, 6800 ultra.

the non-beta form.

plugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 02:04 PM

Google Earth downloads as is goes... the better the bandwidth, the faster it will go

2009059  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 02:05 PM

is there any way to download all the content before I use it?

plugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 02:07 PM

would require lots of bandwidth ; )

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 02:22 PM

Funny. I used the Google Earth Beta about a month ago on my stock 2x2 PowerMac and it ran extraordinarily well. I have a 5Mb/s downstream though

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2006, 07:32 PM

How fast is your downstream connection?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

2009059  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 11:34 PM

I have 2MB/s downstream. I guess that is the culprit?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:56 PM

The satellite maps they use are so old and incomplete I stopped using Google Earth.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
The satellite maps they use are so old and incomplete I stopped using Google Earth.
Ya if you are trying to find skyscapers under a year old you are out of luck

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

new newton
Banned
Jan 22, 2006, 04:12 AM

The FPS shouldn't have anything to do with the data being downloaded. If you're getting 2FPS, something is seriously wrong with your system. Data or not, the framerate should still be quite good.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 11:37 AM

Works fine on my DP800 G4 with cable modem.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 12:07 PM

If you have 10.4.3, maybe you have the buggy NVidia drivers that cause problems with certain NVidia cards. I know that slow performance was one of the issues for me on a quad G5 wth a 6600 using some OpenGL apps, though I haven't tried Gogle Earth yet. Upgrading to 10.4.4 should sort it if that's the problem.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Ya if you are trying to find skyscapers under a year old you are out of luck
Some of the areas seem to be 3 to 4 years out of date.

We use GE a lot as supplemental info for site planning and design. The majority of the time, it only gives you a better mental picture of the region or area. Quite often, the areas aren't digital or available.

GE is a blast but if you are looking for up to date info, even a year out, chances are you aren't going to find it.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by new newton
The FPS shouldn't have anything to do with the data being downloaded. If you're getting 2FPS, something is seriously wrong with your system. Data or not, the framerate should still be quite good.
Hasn't always been my experience. Call it bad app design, but Google Earth would stutter on my PM G5 while it was downloading the data. It's almost like it was hesitating to render the view immediately when it could wait a fraction of a second for the data to get there.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 08:36 AM

you could increase Google Earth's cache sizes, both VM and RAM.

I'm not at my mac to see if these options exist, but they are here on this windows version.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2009059
is there any way to download all the content before I use it?
Probably not theres a lot of content and its sometimes updated

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2006, 12:42 PM

Google has a deal with Keyhole-maybe they even BOUGHT Keyhole-that gets them aerial and satellite images from Keyhole's files. Some areas have been recently photographed, some haven't. The area around my neighborhood is about a year old, but some places seem to be much newer, while others are much older.

In most cases it really doesn't matter. If you KNOW the area you want to look at has changed in the last couple of years, then you should also know that aerial images will be out of date. If that's ALL you are interested, then you don't need Google Earth, you need something else-and it AIN'T gonna be free!

As for downloading the content-ALL the content- you're probably out of luck. The premium version (for Windows) offers more information, but it's still housed on their servers. And we're talking about hundreds, even thousands of TERRABYTES of image data. I don't think storing that amount of data locally is feasible, let alone economically doable.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bernt
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 04:25 PM

Anyone know how often (or if) Google is gonna update Google Earth? I mean, if they have bought detailed pictures of an area, are they gonna update the pictures every year, or are they just satisfied with having a detailed picture ready?
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bernt
Anyone know how often (or if) Google is gonna update Google Earth? I mean, if they have bought detailed pictures of an area, are they gonna update the pictures every year, or are they just satisfied with having a detailed picture ready?
they couldnt update every picture every year

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 06:20 PM

I used Keyhole before Google bought them and right after that a lot of the imagery has been updated with 2005 material. Sadly, a lot of areas I'm interested in ended up with worse resolution.

But my experience over the last two years has been that the images are being constantly updated - there's just a lot of ground to cover. All of it, in fact

J

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2009059
When I'm flying over places, I get serious lag!
It's due to relativistic time dilation. Ask Kerrigan.

new newton
Banned
Jan 23, 2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Google has a deal with Keyhole-maybe they even BOUGHT Keyhole-that gets them aerial and satellite images from Keyhole's files. Some areas have been recently photographed, some haven't. The area around my neighborhood is about a year old, but some places seem to be much newer, while others are much older.
Google bought Keyhole. The software shows you (right on the photo) the company that Google is licensing the data from. There are a bunch of them.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2006, 01:52 AM

I was chatting to the Google guys at Macworld (when they were there), they acknowledged a couple of performance issues that would be fixed soon. They also mentioned Google Earth 2.0 will show live updating video of the world, also will have the ability to see through the roof of a house and fire small (harmless) pellets at people.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2006, 05:30 AM

Geez - all that money you wasted buying Google Earth, you must be really pissed....

Forum Links
Forum Rules