Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 45)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2018, 06:51 PM

Corker lost his shit on the Senate floor today

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2018, 06:01 PM

Did you know that the anniversary of DDay is a great example of how we work well with the German government?

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2018, 06:06 PM

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2018, 06:29 PM

are we seriously having loyalty lists?

It's like the trump administration took the biggest controversies in the nation's history and put them in a jar, taking one out every day at random.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It's obviously unethical, but I'm not even sure that's legal (Depends if this counts as potential discrimination for political views).

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's obviously unethical, but I'm not even sure that's legal (Depends if this counts as potential discrimination for political views).
It’s probably legal up until they actually fire someone, and even then it would have to be shown the firing was based on political views. If the person let go is an appointee, then it becomes a moot point since politics is how they got the job in the first place. A hire, on the other hand, is a little trickier but, in this age of “at will” employment, it would be very difficult to prove that the firing was for political views.

It would appear, though, that merely taking names is having the desired effect, which is to empty the State Department.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 07:31 PM

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/bre...icaid-in-maine
Maine’s state legislature has voted five times in the past five years to expand Medicaid, and LePage vetoed the effort five times. Having reached an impasse, health care advocates turned to the ballot box, gathering signatures to get the measure on the 2017 ballot and successfully campaigning for its passage. Nearly 60 percent of voters cast a ballot in favor — making the state the first in the nation to expand Medicaid by popular vote.

Under Maine’s Constitution, the governor can’t veto a law passed by citizens’ initiative, so LePage chose instead to simply refuse to move forward with its implementation, citing concerns about its cost. The lawsuit was filed after LePage blew past the April deadline to submit a simple, two-page State Plan Amendment that allows the state to draw millions in federal funding for the Medicaid expansion.

https://www.necn.com/news/politics/M...485260841.html
On the day Maine residents headed to the polls to use ranked-choice voting for the first time in a statewide primary, Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday he may not certify the election results.

LePage told WCSH-TV the voting was "the most horrific thing in the world" and he sides with people who raise questions about its constitutionality.

LePage said his feelings about the ranked-choice voting are so strong that he will "probably not certify the election," and leave it up to the courts to decide instead, according to WCSH-TV.

However, Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap says certification doesn't apply to primaries, so LePage doesn't actually have anything to certify.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 07:42 PM

From a while back... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.96186199432c
In February 2017, as debate raged nationally over President Trump’s decision to curtail immigration to the United States, the conservative Christian Broadcasting Network dipped into the Bible to share what that sacred text said about refugees.

“Treat refugees the way you want to be treated,” it said, quoting Leviticus. “Invite the stranger in” (Matthew) and “Open your door to the traveler” (Job).

The first comment in reply to the article captures the tone of the rest of the feedback the site received: “Shame on CBN for this very poorly written article full of political rhetoric. This is not a Biblical issue.”
But Pew’s new research includes a fascinating detail: No group agrees less with the idea that the United States has a responsibility to accept refugees than white evangelical Protestants.

Only 25 percent of evangelicals told Pew that they believed the United States has such a responsibility, half the percentage of Catholics who said the same thing and substantially lower than the religiously unaffiliated.

The next least-supportive group was those without college degrees, nearly 4 in 10 of whom agreed with the idea that a responsibility existed.

With this latest push to justify child-seperation with the bible, I think we're going to see an all out war to discredit the sanctimonious right's claim that their actions are biblical.

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2018, 08:21 PM

I'm beginning to think LePage needs his own thread, he keeps disregarding the voters and their desires this way. Another petty dictator who hates Obama so much he's willing to cut off his own nose (mainers healthcare) to spite his face (mainers). Maine has many low income people who need healthcare, and drug addicts who need treatment centers, etc.

Maybe: Parochial Governors and Their Wacky Hijinx

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 08:54 PM

I'd agree, but he's almost gone.

That said, my title would be something along the lines of "The Horrors of Third-Party Voting in a First Past the Post System"

reader50
Administrator
Jun 16, 2018, 10:17 PM

I kept thinking Gov. LePage belongs in the GOP Against Democracy thread. Each of his noteworthy antics is thwarting the will of the voters he's sworn to represent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2018, 12:32 AM

You're not wrong, but I keep him out because he's an outlier – he fights his own GOP legislature because he's so out there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2018, 01:14 PM

Signs of life from the press. Then again, they don't often get to challenge him to begin with.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2018, 08:14 PM

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05d6c16c7acca
Rudy Giuliani says FBI agents interviewed him in his room at the Trump International Hotel earlier this year regarding his 2016 remarks predicting a “surprise” in the closing days of the presidential race that would benefit then-Republican nominee Donald Trump.

“That’s all they asked about. What was I talking about in terms of ‘surprise’?” Giuliani told HuffPost Tuesday. “What was I talking about when I was talking about new information?”
Curious if anything comes of this.

Related: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...ton-info-to-me
Last night on Fox News, Rep. Devin Nunes explained that in late September 2016, “good FBI agents” came to him and told him they’d found the Weiner laptop with Huma Abedin’s emails with Secretary Clinton.
I thought he was against this sort of thing?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 19, 2018, 08:38 PM

What are "good FBI agents"? They should be agents that tend to solve their cases. Without breaking the law, planting evidence, witness torture, etc.

But from context, is sounds like "good FBI agents" are ones that take sides in federal elections.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 20, 2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
What are "good FBI agents"? They should be agents that tend to solve their cases. Without breaking the law, planting evidence, witness torture, etc.

But from context, is sounds like "good FBI agents" are ones that take sides in federal elections.
Trump has demonized the crooked FBI, so Nunes needs to clarify that the ones that came to him were a few of the good ones, not the majority of the witch-hunting bad ones.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Trump has demonized the crooked FBI, so Nunes needs to clarify that the ones that came to him were a few of the good ones, not the majority of the witch-hunting bad ones.
Jesus, that reads like sarcasm but its factually accurate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 08:01 PM

Posting because I think it's interesting: The results of Maine's D Governor ranked choice voting

It looks like in Round Two and Three, the remaining votes were split pretty evenly among the contenders (2% then 5%) where in Round 4 there was a much more noticeable split that tipped it to Mills.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 11:50 PM

There's some subtext here that makes me extremely uncomfortable.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2018, 11:32 AM

1) sitting presidents don't have rallies.
2) for all we know, the other networks weren't invited, informed, or allowed in;
3) if they were invited, allowed, etc, it's possible they don't want to support propaganda
4) Also possible fox just lying and other networks are covering this ridiculous thing?

6) it's all completely f'd up

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
1) sitting presidents don't have rallies.
First term presidents do. That’s how they become two-term presidents.

Admittedly, they don’t usually start until after mid-terms.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2018, 04:41 PM

The point is, this guy never stopped having rallies. They're not really campaign events. They are just meant to feed the narcissist-in-chief.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 04:52 PM

I mean, yes, they’re for feeding his ego, but a bad enough midterm will land the guy in the pokey. That’s a factor in him having rallies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I mean, yes, they’re for feeding his ego, but a bad enough midterm will land the guy in the pokey. That’s a factor in him having rallies.
No its not. At best its a rationalization.

Anyway, Fox's tone came off as insinuating the other network were somehow unpatriotic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Okay.

andi*pandi
Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Dakar, good point, that can be #7 in my list.

(there is no #5).

Forum Links
Forum Rules