Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Minium. Whoah.

Minium. Whoah.
unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 09:14 PM

So since Candybar has joined us in the 10.3 world, I went to download a copy of Rad_E8's classic SnowE2 sets.. only to find that he'd run out of bandwidth and was asking for donations.

Something I'd recommend doing, btw. I'll be donating... as soon as I have a decent checking balance again that is =)

but at the bottom there's this teeny tiny P.S....

"One more thing: if I can't afford hosting this site, you won't be able to get stuff like this."

"this" being linked to: http://www.rad-e8.com/preview.html

So I checked it out and I was all like.
uhhh.

that's a really good iconset.

and i dont want the server to go beep beep beep rad-E8 gone so.. let's all look forward to this set and donate some, kay?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:46 PM

those icons are sick

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 09:53 PM

They're really sleek but it kinda look similar to IF's G5 icon set
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Oct 23, 2003 at 10:00 PM. )

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
They're really sleek but it kinda look similar to IF's G5 icon set
i like the way the folders look better, the drives are extremely similar tho

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 10:41 PM

Man, Rad-e8 has done it again. Those icons are S.W.E.E.T!!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 11:00 PM

Cool! But really having a flash site isn't very good for bandwith, and it's not that hard to find free hosting for icons etc.
click one

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
Yeah, the folders look better. More smoother and simpler.

I hope IF is not going to sue them like iSeek and Chercher

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 12:34 AM

Nice.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
Somone call Moki, we need the dirt on this! Common, any incriminiating iChat convos? Evidence that he ripped IF from their screenshots? I mean man, they're both icons! And hard drive icons too!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 02:53 AM

I don't know about U guys but I will be giving a little $20. I've used his snow icons on all my macs and all my friends macs and I see them in every other screenshot around here.

His icons are defenitely the most used icons and I think he deserves something too.

I love his new folders but I really don't like those drives.. didn't like them when that other guy did them either.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:48 AM

I'm poor. I sent him $5. I'd easily have sent 20-30 if i had worked in the last month.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:20 AM

I'm cheap and poor... Someone should host his stuff though.
click one

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:23 AM

I can't afford his bandwidth either. But i'm not cheap. I'm poor.

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:

darrick
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 08:25 AM

isn't that what god created resex for?

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 09:39 AM

Anyone actually have these icons yet?

They definitely can be hosted on other sites...
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

S A V E D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:50 AM

Do you really think so? I�m skeptic to that..

ambush
Banned
Oct 25, 2003, 03:56 PM

if you have an idisk, here's your chance to put it to good use

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:33 PM

I have an iDisk but I don't think it can take the traffic, he has a monthly bandwith limit of 50 GB and it still isn't enough. It's only the 24th of the month and he hasn't updated his site in months, imagine what will happen when he releases new icons...
( Last edited by kovacs; Oct 26, 2003 at 11:04 AM. )

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 05:42 PM

I will host them...

If he emails me:

[email protected]

I have unlimited bandwidth, BwAhahahHha!

I want these icons like there's no tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Ryan Clark

P.S. Happy Panthering!

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:

foobars
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
I will host them...

If he emails me:

[email protected]

I have unlimited bandwidth, BwAhahahHha!

I want these icons like there's no tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Ryan Clark

P.S. Happy Panthering!
why dont you email him: [email protected]

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 11:48 PM

how much bandwidth do .mac accounts have??

unlinear  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 12:31 AM

fair warning to ryan:

'unlimited bandwidth' tends to have a fair use clause attached to it. Honestly, I prefer hosts that specify just how far you can go. There's no such thing as unlimited.

It's an admirable offer, I just hope you don't get burned when something so ill-defined comes up.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 12:55 AM

Why doesnt he use deviant art?

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
Why doesnt he use deviant art?
That's a good idea actually. I offered my hosting services for free as well.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll talk to my host about this.

Maybe we could all do a wonderfully communist thing and take just one or so icons each? That way, we get them, and no one gets hit too hard

R

Originally posted by unlinear:
fair warning to ryan:

'unlimited bandwidth' tends to have a fair use clause attached to it. Honestly, I prefer hosts that specify just how far you can go. There's no such thing as unlimited.

It's an admirable offer, I just hope you don't get burned when something so ill-defined comes up.

milhouse
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 09:28 AM

I sent him $15. Been using some of his stuff for well over a year.

More folks should do the same.

cheers
"-Dodge This"

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
That's a good idea actually. I offered my hosting services for free as well.
I mean thats the point of deviant art, to spread different types of art. I don't know how many icons I seen up there, they even set a small user page for each user. He could just link them there? And also have one on his website. This would his problem with to many downloads.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 06:08 PM

Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I think at this point, he is really just wanting to get paid. I sent him an e-mail, as I am sure others have too, and have not received a reply (yet.)

Ryan

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I mean thats the point of deviant art, to spread different types of art. I don't know how many icons I seen up there, they even set a small user page for each user. He could just link them there? And also have one on his website. This would his problem with to many downloads.
You know deviant art has big problems with their systems sometime. They're not exactly stable and they're very overloaded.
( Last edited by mrbiiggy2; Oct 26, 2003 at 06:36 PM. )

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:42 PM

Although Devart will do site hosting as well...like http://www.mmicons.com/

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
You know deviant art has big problems with their systems sometime. They're not exactly stable and they're very overloaded.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 11:00 PM

i wonder if he could get them hosted at sourceforge. heheh

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:17 PM

http://funmac.com/ hosts my gui page.
click one

mac15
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 05:05 AM

I'd love to host him, I can do still if he wants. I just can't throw up a new directory for him, it'd have to be on my directory at ambitouslemon.com . That way it'd be free still and he'd have a mega bandwidth

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 07:01 AM

I hope IF is not going to sue them like iSeek and Chercher
No, that's truly unlikely, especially since Sascha is a friend of ours. At any rate, I am not a very litigious person. Whenever I release icons of system or hardware-related subjects, it seems to inspire people to make their own variations. That's understandable, given the differences in people's personal tastes. However, it's also one of the reasons I do much less of that type of icon these days (if anyone happened to wonder) - and as long as they don't actually cut up and use pieces of my icons, I am unconcerned.

Someone pointed me to this thread, perhaps secretly hoping for some fireworks, but I have no issue with Sascha's work. In fact, I found it a little ironic, since the very first variation for a G5 hard drive I made and discarded back in July looked like this:

http://www.pixelhaus.com/pub/g5_test1.jpg

Edited to add: Besides, it's Apple's drive icon style married to G5's brushed metal and rows of holes - it's not like I invented any of those elements. /End edit

Anyway, I completely sympathise with Sascha's hosting woes. Running a high-bandwidth gui site becomes very expensive very quickly. I hope things work out in his favour.

db
( Last edited by Dave Brasgalla; Oct 27, 2003 at 09:06 AM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
No, that's truly unlikely, especially since Sascha is a friend of ours. At any rate, I am not a very litigious person. Whenever I release icons of system or hardware-related subjects, it seems to inspire people to make their own variations. That's understandable, given the differences in people's personal tastes. However, it's also one of the reasons I do much less of that type of icon these days (if anyone happened to wonder) - and as long as they don't actually cut up and use pieces of my icons, I am unconcerned.
I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I'm sure that the guys at IF are too nice to do something like this though

By the way, I love your works. High quality and very creative

RAD.E8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:58 PM

Hiya everybody. Stumbled across this topic while browsing my site's logs and thought I'd give you my 2 � on a few things.

First of all, thanks a lot to all people who offered to host my icons. Sorry I could not get back to you any earlier, I'll detail this in a reply I'll send in a few minutes.

And a big hug goes out to all the people who donated. This really helps, thanks so much!

...which leads me here:
Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I think at this point, he is really just wanting to get paid. I sent him an e-mail, as I am sure others have too, and have not received a reply (yet.)
You'll receive your reply shortly
Apart from that I want to make sure that I don't want to get paid. That's not my aim in making my icons. I really love knowing that thousands of thousands of people out there use my icons. That's really uplifting and makes me want to go on.

But if you give your stuff to the people and in turn have to pay several thousand bucks (not for the regular hosting, I'd pay that anyway and it's not much - only for exceeded bandwidth)... it's just not funny anymore. I work hard for my money. And I'm sure you do too. And if you had to pay that much money for giving your icons to me, you'd also want to find a better way.

To Dave Brasgalla and the folks who pointed out the similarity to some of Dave's icons:

Yes, I admit it. I love Dave's work. Guilty of charge. And no good icon designer is NOT influenced by The IconFactory's excellent work.

But! Not this time. Though I published the MINIUM� preview now, it has been Work In Progress for months and I started working on them BEFORE G5 Drives was released.

The fact that the drives look familiar is quite obvious - as Dave said it. They share the same idea, an HD icon with G5 elements.

So. Honestly. I didn't steal. It's coincidence.

I have to disappoint the people who are expecting a soon release of the icons. They're not ready yet. I'm too busy with other projects to pick up the work on them. Sorry. But the longer the wait, the better the icons.

Take care!

Sascha

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by RAD.E8:
Though I published the MINIUM� preview now, it has been Work In Progress for months and I started working on them BEFORE G5 Drives was released.

The fact that the drives look familiar is quite obvious - as Dave said it. They share the same idea, an HD icon with G5 elements.

So. Honestly. I didn't steal. It's coincidence.

I have to disappoint the people who are expecting a soon release of the icons. They're not ready yet. I'm too busy with other projects to pick up the work on them. Sorry. But the longer the wait, the better the icons.

Take care!

Sascha
Hej, Sascha...
Absolutely no worries, min v�n! I always *think* I am expressing myself clearly when I write, but perhaps that is because I myself know what I am trying to convey. In addition, email and forum posts are a type of communication far removed from the physical, and it is very easy to come across differently than one intends.

Plainly, and for the record: I don't think Sascha is stealing my or anyone else's icon designs! As Sascha himself states, it's merely a coincidence. The only reason I posted that screencap of my old G5 icon was to demonstrate how two designers, given roughly the same set of thematic elements, can arrive at nearly the same solution independently of each other. To anyone who understood my post otherwise, my apologies for failing to express myself lucidly enough!

Now, I'll let Sascha get back to work on the icons that people are clearly anticipating! Sorry for the interruption...

Cheers all,
dave

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 10:04 AM

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I'm sure that the guys at IF are too nice to do something like this though
I figured as much, but it's always good to check! Say, did you know that the original 3 IF founders (Corey, Ged & Talos) are all RIT grads?

By the way, I love your works. High quality and very creative
Thanks for the kind words about the icons. I enjoy your work as well - I thought the icons you did for Strateges (especially the toolbar set) were excellent! I wish someone would give the same treatment to Battleship or Daleks...

dave

ps - for the record, I have never managed to convince myself about the viability of the G5 folder I made - a fun experiment, but nothing I fell in love with. I like Sascha's folder much better as well! When do we get 'em?

Forum Links
Forum Rules