Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weak airport signal

Weak airport signal
foobars
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 02:14 PM

This could go in networking athough I suspect it might be a problem with the iBook...

I just got a new iBook G4 12" and AE card, which I installed myself. I had to go back and push the antenna connection in farther cause I didnt do it the whole way the first time, and I THINK I got in in all the way, althoug the square part of the connection still isn't flush with the card AND my signal is much weaker than my other computers which are farther away. Does anyone have a photo of what exactly the connection is supposed to look like or have any advice?

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2004, 02:24 PM

Assuming you've followed the recommended Apple installation procedures....

The antenna connection should fit snuggly.. (almost a click feeling), should not interfere with the bar hinge deal that secures the AE cards placement.

Once all that is in place (should look like what the illustration appears to the left of the AE card) you should be good to go.

A few other things to consider, 802.11 b/c/g channel (1 - 11) if there are any other networks in the area on the same channel as you they will compete. Good rule of thumb, keep 2 channels up or down from the nearest 802.11 wireless network. A nifty tool to use that is virtually dummy-proof is MacStumbler. You can download it at Versiontracker.com. That will show you the local Wireless networks, what channel they are on, and signal strength.

If all else fails, utilize your 90 days of free AppleCare phone support. They'll walk you thru it on the phone.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules