Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Restart/Log Out/Shut Down broken

Restart/Log Out/Shut Down broken
foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 05:06 PM

This is the second time this has happened on the same computer with two different clean installs. For some reason over time my Apple menu's Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down just stop working. Infact, all log out/shutdown fucntionality is lost. For example I cant logout from Candybar or restart from Installer.app

Any ideas on how to fix this or better yet why it happens (repairing permissions doesn't do it).

foobars  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 01:39 PM

Nobody?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 11:30 AM

Have you tried using Terminal? To shutdown, try
Code:
shutdown now
or to restart,

Code:
shutdown -r now
You may have to type sudo before those commands, I don't really remember.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 05:41 PM

I had the same problem -i still think it was due to 10.3.4 ...

i even went to teh genius bar and the only thing i coudl do directly through terminal was restart.

to log off / shut down - go to terminal, get the processor id (type top if i remember), then find loginwindow .. go back to terminal .. hit kill and then the proc. id ..

it logs you off and then you can shut down. i had to dot hat for a few weeks unitl my classes were over and i could reformat. i even tlaked to apple repeatedly and they just said reformat .. but to do so you need to erase the disk to zero before you format teh comp.

i did it and panther is back to normal and 10.3.4 is going good.

hoep that helps. but there is a definite backroads way to log out, etc. did you try using another account to try to shut down etc .. (it didn twork for me.. but its a thought .. )

GL!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 08:37 PM

There's some kind of persistent process not getting out of the way, somewhere. Run top in the terminal to see what-all background processes might be running, and look through your startup items in your accounts pref pane, and see if some app you installed might have insinuated itself there.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

asdasd
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 09:20 AM

Does this happen, once it happens, alll the time?

Or it it fixed by a forced logout, and login , at least for a time.

Also, can you see if loginwindow is busy or not. The issue is not that there a processes running, as far as i can make out your problem, but that the system process which handled logout/restart ( loginwindow) is not responding to an AppleEvent.

10.3.4 did install a new loginwindow. So it could be buggy. Sample it when there is no response to a restart/shutdown and post the details here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules