Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Server!

Tiger Server!
ballmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 04:27 PM

Not only is there a new client but also a new server version.
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/

and guess what: there are many features that the tiger-client-feature-site on apple.com doesn�t show ... yet.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:36 PM

Ohhhh.

-Owl

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 04:40 PM

New Services
iChat Server. Host your own private and secure inside-the-firewall iChat server that uses your own namespace and works with both Tiger�s iChat AV and popular Jabber clients available on Windows, Linux and PDAs.
Nice.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 04:53 PM

So is the iChat server just a branded Jabber server? That is my guess.

-matt

geekwagon
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 05:30 PM

Mobile Home Directories. Centrally manage mobile users� home directories with Tiger Server. When they reconnect to the network, mobile home directories automatically synchronize to the server.
YES, finally. They half-did this with Panther, but it was just the account info, not the files that synced. I just hope it works good.

The simple "anyone can set it up clustering" is a great feature for them to double the amount of XServes they sell.

I'm also very excited about the iChat server (finally), ACLs, and link aggregation (I can't believe it couldn't do this before..)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
So is the iChat server just a branded Jabber server? That is my guess.
That's what it looks like. However, that's not at all a Bad Thing; basing this on an open standard like XMPP/Jabber will help ensure interoperability, which could very well become another reason for this to see corporate use.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
That's what it looks like. However, that's not at all a Bad Thing; basing this on an open standard like XMPP/Jabber will help ensure interoperability, which could very well become another reason for this to see corporate use.
That's not a bad thing at all, it's a great thing...super great even. I run a Jabber server where I'm working and it works very well, only problem is all the Mac clients are terrible. It looks like iChat in Tiger supports Jabber, including SSL and conference. I think I'll do a backflip if that is true. Might even be able to wiggle an XServe into the machine room.

-matt

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 11:02 PM

Anyone know anything else about the blog server?

Forum Links
Forum Rules