Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > THE BEST iTunes plugin EVAAAAH!

THE BEST iTunes plugin EVAAAAH!
Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 12:42 PM

http://www.octiv.com/index.asp?content=iTunes

Makes everything sound a lot better. More "punch"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 01:24 PM

For $20 bucks, it had better.

OK, just downloaded and am trying it out. And it does seem to work as advertised. Hmm, may be the next shareware some $$ is plunked down for.
( Last edited by Randman; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:29 PM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 01:29 PM

Oh it does!

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 01:37 PM

Right on, this rocks. My $20 is ready.

foobars
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:09 PM

It certainly takes a toll on CPU usage too.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
It certainly takes a toll on CPU usage too.
It's remastering your music on the fly, which requires some oomph

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 03:11 PM

The nagging on the demo is a turn off. Plus, it would be nice if it could actually be used on the iTunes window and not in a separate window.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
The nagging on the demo is a turn off. Plus, it would be nice if it could actually be used on the iTunes window and not in a separate window.
Well, see if you might be able to offer some feedback. The plug-in hasn't changed from v. 1.0 in the past 8 months.

Neo.cmg

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 05:23 PM

<sarcasm>Makes you wonder why producers don't run their final mixdowns through it, just plug an output from your $20,000 mixing desk into an iBook and away you go!</sarcasm>

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:34 PM

its a very valid point. plus I swear that my songs sound worse since I installed it (when its not on). Think its all a bit dodgy... plus can't find the uninstaller. Which annoys me (as it specifically said to uninstall)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 11:13 PM

If you search for "Volume", you should see the uninstaller there.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 11:17 PM

I am going to do some research on it.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 04:00 AM

yeah did find it (about a couple of seconds after posting) but felt silly so ran away!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Mr Scruff:
<sarcasm>Makes you wonder why producers don't run their final mixdowns through it, just plug an output from your $20,000 mixing desk into an iBook and away you go!</sarcasm>
Actually, Octiv does sell tools for broadcast and pro audio: http://www.octiv.com/index.asp?conte...sandtechnology

Chris

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 06:26 AM

http://204.2.96.30/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Tell Apple to put this on the iPod NOW!!!!!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 07:45 AM

This is a utility in BIAS Peak: BIAS SqweezTM dynamic compressor/limiter VST plug-in
Just thought I'd share.
it should do what Volume Logic does, just not as convenient.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
This is a utility in BIAS Peak: BIAS SqweezTM dynamic compressor/limiter VST plug-in
Just thought I'd share.
it should do what Volume Logic does, just not as convenient.
That's just a standard compressor, AFAICS.

Volume Logic ****s around with frequencies as well.

If I think there's a computer feature that knows what music is supposed to sound like better than the recording and mastering engineers that spent weeks of work and decades of experience on it, I think I'll opt to mangle it with iTunes' built-in Sound-****-upper^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HEnhancer first.

-s*

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 19, 2004, 11:33 AM

Eh, I have heard some pretty dead mixes that producers have came up with.

They are fallible.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Eh, I have heard some pretty dead mixes that producers have came up with.

They are fallible.
This is true.

If you feel this helps, go for it, by all means.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 05:23 PM

I have been using this plug-in for a year... it's awesome. It makes a huge difference to acoustic and classical music. Haven't noticed much difference in other genres..
I do not think it messes up the sound... but there's no pleasing some people
One thing airtunes by-passes the plug-in...so it will not work with your home cinema via airtunes.

chezpaul
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 07:16 PM

I'm a "highly trained" sound engineer (10 years) and I've been using this plug in ever since it came out. It's not about what it does, it's about how much better it sounds. mp3's have always sounded thin to me, yeah even Apple's AAC so this helps a lot. I was crushed when I realized that it doesn't work through airtunes. It's really just a multi band Compressor slash EQ and it gets my vote.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
I'm a "highly trained" sound engineer (10 years) and I've been using this plug in ever since it came out. It's not about what it does, it's about how much better it sounds. mp3's have always sounded thin to me, yeah even Apple's AAC so this helps a lot. I was crushed when I realized that it doesn't work through airtunes. It's really just a multi band Compressor slash EQ and it gets my vote.
'How much better it sounds'. Well if you like all of your music to be uniformly compressed and slightly clipped then perhaps it does make everything sounds better.

Although, to be honest if you're just playing the music back through laptop speakers or crappy computer speakers then it wouldn't matter either way.

If you're talking about applying this stuff prior to playing back through proper hifi then I have to question the logic...

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 21, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
This is true.

If you feel this helps, go for it, by all means.
But you are right. Some songs just don't sound as good with it on.

G-Force
Aug 21, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
Well, see if you might be able to offer some feedback. The plug-in hasn't changed from v. 1.0 in the past 8 months.

Neo.cmg
It's acutally at version 1.01 and it's been that way for awhile.
( Last edited by G-Force; Sep 26, 2004 at 02:54 PM. )

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2004, 01:25 AM

I am going to email them asking what new features are going to be added.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 09:51 PM

This line of thinking is why current albums have absolutely ZERO dynamic range. Multiband compressors are so completely over used...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2004, 10:50 PM

I don't care what it is. It just sounds good.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 12:33 AM

It's not working when I try to download it. It just times out...?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2004, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
This line of thinking is why current albums have absolutely ZERO dynamic range. Multiband compressors are so completely over used...
That is absolutely true.

Nice reading on the matter:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256C2E005DAF1C

http://www.homerecordingconnection.c...w_story&id=188

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/851/

Overcompression has made so much music unbearable, it's not funny.

-s*

Jayznkelc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 01:58 PM

I dunno about all the engineering mumbo-jumbo, but I thinks I like this. Apple should license this technology for the next version of iTunes, Airtunes and the iPod. That would rock. I think I'm going to throw $20 down for this.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 23, 2004, 11:21 PM

Same here. They should imbed something like this into the iPod.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 11:43 PM

I put it on a Pink Floyd tune and wanted to puke when I heard what it did to it.

Guess I could see how it could be good if you like that over-compressed, no dynamics, muddied bass sound... to each his own.

remind me to never hire you for an audio project.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 12:38 AM

Same here. They should imbed something like this into the iPod.
Absolutely not. If this rocks your boat, by install it by all means. For me, it ruins my music.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 08:26 AM

I've tested this "plug-in" for about a week now. I think the result depends a lot on music genre. I find "Bj�rk" and Ambient-like music to sound amazingly applying this plug-in. How-ever my punk-rock collection sounds like trash with it enabled. I can see this plug-in is not for everyone.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2004, 09:35 AM

Yeah it's good for some songs, and not for others. You can easily turn it off.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 10:33 AM

Yeah it's good for some songs, and not for others. You can easily turn it off.
But for $20, I personally expect more. It's an interesting app and I hope the developers continue to work on it.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 11:03 AM

Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola sound pretty good using this plug-in. Thanks for the info.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
But for $20, I personally expect more.

You mean something that can analyze the music for instrumentation and musicality and your stereo for quality, and then change settings accordingly, the way highly-trained mastering engineers get paid to do for each song individually BEFORE you choose to "improve" on them with one-size-fits-all bogus effects?

If they do go magic, then they should at least implement a "taste protection" function, where the plug-in automatically registers that a person with even absolutely minimal audio sense has entered the room and gracefully just switches itself off.

-s*

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 10:27 AM

Alot of stuff that I have were never remastered when they were put onto CD's. For example, early stuff from the The Cure, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Siouxsie & the Banshees, etc. They have sounded rather quiet and dull until now. I am more than impressed!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 03:16 PM

Alot of stuff that I have were never remastered when they were put onto CD's. For example, early stuff from the The Cure, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Siouxsie & the Banshees, etc. They have sounded rather quiet and dull until now. I am more than impressed!
"Quiet" is generally a GOOD thing.

It means that you actually have dynamic range.

On those LOUD RECORDS YOU GET THESE DAYS, THE DYNAMIC RANGE IS SOMEWHERE AROUND 0.5-1 DB, WHICH IS THE EQUIVALENT OF SOMEBODY SHOUTING AND SHOUTING AND SHOUTING THE ENTIRE TIME, AND WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY KIND OF MUSICAL SENSE. PROPERLY MASTERED MATERIAL WILL naturally sound quiet when listened to against stuff that has been totally ****ed up in accordance with radio-trained listening habits. (Read the links I provided above for a little background info from a mastering engineer who's fed up with having to willfully destroy the music he's supposed to be enhancing.)

It will also sound "dull" if it has not been treated with those terrible stereo enhancers and exciters that MaKe the SoUnD sO iNtErEsTiNg AnD lIvElY. And destroy any semblance of stereo imaging or audio fidelity. (That said, there were an AWFUL lot of back-catalogue CD releases in the '80s and '90s that sounded atrocious due to careless mastering from inferior - i.e. fourth- or fifth-generation - master tapes.)

You may find it interesting to know that most commercial radio stations no longer meet the minimal standards of audio fidelity set by the Hi-Fi norms committees of the 1960s.

If that is the sound you want and need, buy this plug-in.

-s*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 03:47 PM

I am more than impressed!
Enough to pay for it?

(BTW, I'm not against the software nor the price. Trust me, I have tons of shareware paid for and registered, it's just that it seems to be a hit or miss app).

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 05:48 PM

If they do go magic, then they should at least implement a "taste protection" function, where the plug-in automatically registers that a person with even absolutely minimal audio sense has entered the room and gracefully just switches itself off.
Lol

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 08:28 PM

On those LOUD RECORDS YOU GET THESE DAYS, THE DYNAMIC RANGE IS SOMEWHERE AROUND 0.5-1 DB, WHICH IS THE EQUIVALENT OF SOMEBODY SHOUTING AND SHOUTING AND SHOUTING THE ENTIRE TIME, AND WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY KIND OF MUSICAL SENSE. PROPERLY MASTERED MATERIAL WILL naturally sound quiet when listened to against stuff that has been totally ****ed up in accordance with radio-trained listening habits. (Read the links I provided above for a little background info from a mastering engineer who's fed up with having to willfully destroy the music he's supposed to be enhancing.)

It will also sound "dull" if it has not been treated with those terrible stereo enhancers and exciters that MaKe the SoUnD sO iNtErEsTiNg AnD lIvElY. And destroy any semblance of stereo imaging or audio fidelity. (That said, there were an AWFUL lot of back-catalogue CD releases in the '80s and '90s that sounded atrocious due to careless mastering from inferior - i.e. fourth- or fifth-generation - master tapes.)

You may find it interesting to know that most commercial radio stations no longer meet the minimal standards of audio fidelity set by the Hi-Fi norms committees of the 1960s.

-s*
SH, I've got to agree with you.

While I don't claim to be the most golden-eared hifi snob, I do have high standards. Most current albums/recordings sound like crap. Highly compressed engineering designed for FM radio and $50 boom boxes.

Unfortunately, a lot of the music I like is recorded this way, so basically I'm screwed. But at least some artists (Sarah McLachlan and U2 in particular) make sure their music is mastered well. The difference between well mastered and radio-centric mastering is like night and day.

And it doesn't take a high-dollar stereo to hear the difference. I have a not terribly expensive, but carefully-chosen, rig: Adcom amp, Rotel preamp, Marantz CD player, Phase Tech speakers and Audioquest cabling.

iTunes music store files sound fine in my car and on my iPod earbuds, but very thin on my home rig.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 25, 2004, 09:47 PM

If it makes me enjoy music more, that's all that matters.

I try not to be too big of a snob. After all, music is just entertainment.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 10:07 PM

If it makes me enjoy music more, that's all that matters.

I try not to be too big of a snob. After all, music is just entertainment.

In the end, THAT is what matters.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 10:51 PM

-s*
You're my new favorite MacNN user. Exactly what needed to be said.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

coconut
Sep 18, 2004, 07:36 PM

Is there any mp3 player on the market with something remotely similar to Volume Logic built-in?

I'm not looking to sell my iPod mini Just curious.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 01:23 AM

Perhaps not the right word though I tested it with a song from The Cure called "A Forest". The original released version from the album Seventeen Seconds sounds very dull compared to the remastered version from the later album Staring At The Sea- The Singles.I don't consider the latter to be "loud". I think it sounds better because it has more contrast with it's "lights and shades", as it was put in the Stereophile article. [Of Topic] Is it possible for me to correct the "range" of those sort of songs without having it sound like sh1t? (aka, not over-compressed, clipped, etc.) Should I try it with the BIAS Squeez� plugin mentioned above?[/Of Topic]
( Last edited by demograph68; Sep 19, 2004 at 01:41 AM. )

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2004, 11:36 AM

I find it makes my 12" PowerBook speakers substantially more tolerable, but when connected to an actual hifi, it makes most music sound disgusting.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Sep 21, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
I find it makes my 12" PowerBook speakers substantially more tolerable, but when connected to an actual hifi, it makes most music sound disgusting.
Yes.. that is it's purpose. To make smaller speakers sound better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules