Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Changing Startup Sound: Any Suggestions?

Changing Startup Sound: Any Suggestions?
xtremekinetix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 10:22 PM

I re-installed Virtual PC the other day and upon booting XP, I thought about how much nicer the Windows startup sound is compared to the Mac one. (I read somewhere a few years ago that the Windows startup sound was created by Brian Eno.) I guess that is a matter of opinion, though.

At any rate, I searched this forum and VersionTracker.com for some way to change the sound to something that I liked better, but no luck. (I only found System preferences that would change the volume.)

Does anyone know how to hack this?

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 10:33 PM

last i knew...can't do it. its hard coded into the system.

mac sound > windows sound

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by xtremekinetix
I re-installed Virtual PC the other day and upon booting XP, I thought about how much nicer the Windows startup sound is compared to the Mac one. (I read somewhere a few years ago that the Windows startup sound was created by Brian Eno.) I guess that is a matter of opinion, though.

At any rate, I searched this forum and VersionTracker.com for some way to change the sound to something that I liked better, but no luck. (I only found System preferences that would change the volume.)

Does anyone know how to hack this?
The Mac startup sound is on the hardware, as where the Windows startup sound is in the software.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

xtremekinetix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 06:16 PM

Bummer.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 12:03 AM

Are you talking about Window's "Login sound"? That's not even the same thing. You mean the BONG that the Mac turns on, that is unchangable. It is there to signify that everything is okay. If you hear that, your Mac is happy.

Completely different things.

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
Are you talking about Window's "Login sound"? That's not even the same thing. You mean the BONG that the Mac turns on, that is unchangable. It is there to signify that everything is okay. If you hear that, your Mac is happy.

Completely different things.
actually that's not entirely true...my mac at work bongs all the time and only actually starts up 3 out of 4 bongs. it's not happy till you see a startup screen...Happy Mac or white w/grey apple

foobars
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 11:59 AM

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 12:09 PM

while you can't change the "bong" you can add a post-login sound. I am sure there is terminal command for this but I am a hack so I like an interface.

http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/Mac%20Stuff/

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by eyevaan
while you can't change the "bong" you can add a post-login sound. I am sure there is terminal command for this but I am a hack so I like an interface.

http://homepage.mac.com/torgo/Mac%20Stuff/
The interface is System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items. Just drag a sound file in there and it will play at login.

Chris

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 09:13 AM

the things I don't learn while not reading the manuals...
thx

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 09:23 AM

In OS9 days, I had the THX sound as the startup chime. I actually liked the OSX days without all of the sounds. I thought the Tiger empty trash sound sounds too Windowsish so I changed it on my PB17 to StrongBad saying DELETED.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules