Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Menu Bar Shadow (And More!)?

Menu Bar Shadow (And More!)?
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 09:31 PM

Hello All,

Just wondering what people are using to get rid of the menubar shadow under Tiger.
Also, are the hopes of a BarMaid-like app still dashed under Tiger? I just cant let this one go

R

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
Hello All,

Just wondering what people are using to get rid of the menubar shadow under Tiger.
Also, are the hopes of a BarMaid-like app still dashed under Tiger? I just cant let this one go

R
1. DeskShade

2. MenuShade (BarMaid-like)

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
1. DeskShade

2. MenuShade (BarMaid-like)

Well, Menushade really isn't the answer, and I never understood the draw to Deskshade...

I guess what I really want is for someone to either redo barmaid, or make another app that does what barmaid does...

Cake + Eat it too,

R

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
Well, Menushade really isn't the answer, and I never understood the draw to Deskshade...

I guess what I really want is for someone to either redo barmaid, or make another app that does what barmaid does...

Cake + Eat it too,

R
Really i think Menushade is a very useful app i can't work without it

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 10:19 PM

There's a Konfab widget out called guiShade that kills the menubar shadow but I don't remember the url...

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 12:42 AM

Here's the link for guishade: http://kmurphy.ambitiouslemon.com/guishade.sit
I like it because i still get shadows under windows. Up until about a week ago, it stopped working though .

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 01:39 AM

Yeah, I have guishade, however, it draws incorrectly in Tiger... Don't know why. Maybe 'cause I have an old version of Konfab?

R

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 02:30 AM

the tiger shadow is bigger than in panther so gui shade does not do a very good job.
( Last edited by hihowareyou; May 25, 2005 at 03:24 AM. )

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by hihowareyou
the tiger shadow is bigger than in panther so gui shade does not do a very good job.
Exactly, that's why I took the DeskShade road.
As for MenuShade : version 0.4 under Panther had a transparancy slider but also a fill color replacement option. Version 0.6 under Tiger doesn't support the fill color yet, so with a 100% transparancy the menubar area simply turns black. Read about it here, apparantly the color option may be on it's way…

MastaMind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 09:20 AM

That was exactely the hint I needed...

I did following to get guishade to work under Tiger:

Open package and edit guiShade.kon

"mainWindow.height = 18;" change it to "mainWindow.height = 26;"

It works for me.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 02:43 PM

Having tried that myself already, I didn't think it was even worth mentioning as a solution - because all top line desktop icons are covered by this extended guiShade

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 02:48 PM

had the same problem. guishade is just not a good solution for Tiger...

Burk3
May 25, 2005, 03:14 PM

i would use deskshade, but it also covers any dashboard widgets i have on the desktop (via amnesty). Also, the version of menushade I downloaded yesterday won't let you change the color of the bar that covers the menu. Any suggestions?

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by MastaMind
That was exactely the hint I needed...

I did following to get guishade to work under Tiger:

Open package and edit guiShade.kon

"mainWindow.height = 18;" change it to "mainWindow.height = 26;"

It works for me.
thanks for that. i have the gripe that i can't have my adium contact list as close to the menu bar as i would like since it gets overed by the widget.
i know nothing about widget writing but would it be possible to add the option to set guishade to be on the desktop?

MastaMind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 07:27 AM

thanks for that. i have the gripe that i can't have my adium contact list as close to the menu bar as i would like since it gets overed by the widget.
i know nothing about widget writing but would it be possible to add the option to set guishade to be on the desktop?
I didn't find a way. This widget only works if its "below" everything.
Btw, this is how it looks with my adium...

Snapshot

hihowareyou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MastaMind
I didn't find a way. This widget only works if its "below" everything.
Btw, this is how it looks with my adium...

Snapshot
hmm weird. mine gets cut off (screen)
maybe because i have my adium list set to desktop so i can expose to reveal it?

shidoshi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 07:35 PM

I've been on a big kick recently trying to see if there was a way to get rid of the Mac OS X menubar's graphics, so that it would basically be the text and icons of the menubar directly on my desktop image.

I came in here looking for any hints on killing the menubar's graphics and shadow, and of course I came across some of Gerrit's screenshots in the GUI thread, which makes me want to get rid of the menubar graphics x 100 now. (I want MilkAGV, PowderAGV, and GoodGreyAGV (?) SOOOOO BAD.)

Reading through this thread, I've learned numerous ways to kill the shadow, but is there any relatively easy way to just get rid of the menubar graphics entirely? I'm not sure I've got the skills to make an entirely new ShapeShifter theme, so that I could match up a simple menubar color to my desktop pic color, and of course you can't (that I know of) take created themes into ThemePark and just make a few tweaks. (For example, I'm currently using Gerret's RulerAGV theme (which is very nice, BTW), and I have a background that happens to be the exact grey of the menubar. All that stands between me and having a "unified" menubar is that little 1px colored line at the bottom of the menubar under that theme. *shakes fist in air*

Without making an entirely new ShapeShifter or whatnot theme, is it possible to get rid of the menubar's graphics in some way? Most of the talk in here has been getting rid of the menubar period, but I just want to get rid of the graphics.

BTW, I've tried searching around the interweb for info on how to do this, but everything lead me either (a) here, or (b) to Barmaid, which isn't doing what I want to do.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by shidoshi
Reading through this thread, I've learned numerous ways to kill the shadow, but is there any relatively easy way to just get rid of the menubar graphics entirely?
Hi shidoshi, thanks a lot for your appreciation of my GUI work.
You seem to have searched the forum, but just in case :
- http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=239684
- http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=219825 (about guiShade, and a great MacMan4000 reply)
- http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=233835
- http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=236928
Sorry if you already read some of this stuff.

If you care to look at a few recent screens # 23_77 and 12_78, you'll see a combination of a hard coded menubar fill color done in ThemePark - and Deskshade to kill the shadow.

Feel free to PM me, if you can't sort out ThemePark work…

Forum Links
Forum Rules