Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Migrating From PPC to Intel OS X

Migrating From PPC to Intel OS X
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2006, 08:28 PM

I have a G5 tower (which I am giving my wife) that has my user account. However, I am getting a new Macbook Pro this Monday.

Is there a way to migrate my user account to the new MBP without loosing passwords, bookmarks, prefs, emails, data that kind of stuff?

In general, how would I go about doing this without using my iPod as a suitcase?

Yours,

R

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 08:35 PM

Migration Assistant, either manually or through the OS X installer, should work fine if you connect the G5 to the MBP in FireWire target disk mode (hold T at startup).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2006, 08:35 PM

Run the Migration Assistant from your new MacBook Pro.

That way you won't LOSE anything.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 02:02 PM

OK... So I connect my MBP to my G5, restarting the G5 in Target disk mode...
When all is running, I start the Migration Assistant on the MBP (in Utilities folder?)

What happens then? Does it look for users or something?

Thanks for your help so far,

R

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2006, 02:12 PM

The first time you turn on the computer, when it asks you to create the first user account, it'll give you the option of running Migration Assistant (something along the lines of "copy users and settings from my current Mac"). Then it will give you a list of things that you can choose to copy over, with all of them checked by default. Then you just push the copy button and you have a perfect copy of your old user accounts on the new computer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 02:23 PM

SWEET!

Glad it is going to be so easy... Now I have to get a male/male Firewire cable

R

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
SWEET!

Now I have to get a male/male Firewire cable

R
All FireWire cables are male to male (or at least all 6-pin FireWire 400 cables are).

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 08:54 PM

strange...
The firewire cable that came with my old G4 400 has a regular squarish end and then a really smallish end, as if it were there to plug into a camera or something... Oh well, I will just buy one when I get my new mac.

Thanks a ton everyone. This community rocks.

R

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 09:00 PM

strange...
The firewire cable that came with my old G4 400 has a regular squarish end and then a really smallish end, as if it were there to plug into a camera or something... Oh well, I will just buy one when I get my new mac.

Thanks a ton everyone. This community rocks.

R
The small end has 4-pins instead of 6. The two pins for power is missing. That is usually used for DV camcorders. You could get a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter. I think that would work.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 09:29 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that. It may be more cost effective to get the new cord. I wonder if a one will come with the MBP? Makes sense to include one with a laptop.

R

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that. It may be more cost effective to get the new cord. I wonder if a one will come with the MBP? Makes sense to include one with a laptop.

R
Did not get one with the MacBook (non-pro).

G5man
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2006, 11:31 PM

Firewire cable is sold separately.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
The small end has 4-pins instead of 6. The two pins for power is missing. That is usually used for DV camcorders. You could get a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter. I think that would work.
Sheesh, just get a new 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. It'd probably be cheaper (and would make a lot more sense) than getting a 6-pin mail to 4-pin female cable, if such a thing even exists!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2006, 12:11 AM

That's the plan. Love your sig Charles!

R

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Sheesh, just get a new 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. It'd probably be cheaper (and would make a lot more sense) than getting a 6-pin mail to 4-pin female cable, if such a thing even exists!

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2006, 01:01 AM

wow... Just looked at my user folder! It is 30GB!!!
Is this going to be ok for what we are talking about here???

R

LudwigVan123
Jul 17, 2006, 01:28 AM

Why is the size an issue? The MacBook Pro should have a fairly large hard drive. And you can delete files and such after the transfer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 01:52 AM

R
The MacBook Pro has an 80 GB hard disk. Unless you've got 50 GB outside your Users folder, you're fine.
Chuck
___

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2006, 09:49 PM

go to target

you can get a 6-foot firewire cable with 6 pins on each end (plus two 4-pin adapters!) for only $14

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 12:30 AM

R

Install OmniDiskSweeper. It will tell you (hierarchically) which directories/files are taking up all the disk space. Very handy utility. Makes it very easy to reduce the amount of disk you are using in an intelligent way.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 01:33 PM

Just a reminder,

Before you do the migration make a backup.
better to be safe than sorry.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 03:33 AM

why make a backup? will it delete this stuff off his G5? or is that just one of those "had to say so" kind of things?
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 10:43 AM

WhatSize does the same as OmniDisk Sweeper, but is free. It's probably worth clearing out all the old junk you've accumulated before you migrate, especially cache files (Microsoft apps seem to be a particular culprit for leaving large cache files laying around)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2006, 12:27 PM

WhatSize is much less reliable than Omni Disk Sweeper. It frequently reports large folders (such as my music folder) as being completely empty.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
why make a backup? will it delete this stuff off his G5? or is that just one of those "had to say so" kind of things?
Just in case, I'm guessing. Migration Assistant doesn't do anything to the source computer.
Chuck
___

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2006, 12:44 PM

Anyway, I have everything transfered. I did it all manually Call me a sicko, but I used 5 DVDs, a meticulous eye, and a few gray hairs to get it all.

Actually, it wasn't that hard at all! I was really surprised. I have all my passwords, bookmarks, emails, email attachment... Basically, everything that is important, I have.

Thanks for all the input.

R

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
WhatSize is much less reliable than Omni Disk Sweeper. It frequently reports large folders (such as my music folder) as being completely empty.
Heh, if that's true, it's probably using 32-bit ints instead of 64-bit ints to store the sizes. Is the cutoff about 4 GB (or 2 GB if he's using signed values)?

If so, write the author. That can be easily fixed.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

24klogos
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
All FireWire cables are male to male (or at least all 6-pin FireWire 400 cables are).
He probably has a miniDV to firewire only.

gregarios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 24klogos
He probably has a miniDV to firewire only.
Actually I think he has a peripheral USB cable.

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2006, 05:06 PM

regardless of whether or not migration is needed. a backup strategy is of the utmost importance for EVERY computer user. every harddrive will fail someday. if tomorrow is you day noone can say. but we all will suffer the same fate without a recent backup. loss of data/music/movies/pictures/documents/whatever

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2006, 11:40 AM

I need to jump into this discussion. In the near future, I will be buying a MBP. I'd like to migrate my stuff from my 17' Powerbook over. So, a few questions: does this migration allow you to migrate applications? I realize that can raise issues, but I'd like to literally clone my current machine, move it over to my new machine, then wipe the hard drive and give my old machine to my wife. It would be much easier to do this than to re-install all my apps- in particular the ones that are downloaded apps.

Also, if I am going to use the migration assistant, can it only be done on the first start-up? If so, do I need to have my two machines connected before I fire up the new one in preparation?

Finally, is there another "smart" way to do it- is there a way to clone my entire hard drive onto an external drive? Would that be useful or not?

Thanks.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 11:44 AM

You can run the Migration Assistant anytime, even multiple times if you have multiple Macs that you want to move stuff from. Any duplicates are automatically labeled appropriately and you can choose to use or delete them as desired.

You just start up the other Mac in Target Disk Mode prior to running MA.

OreoCookie
Jul 28, 2006, 11:47 AM

Yes, by default applications are copied as well. You can make sure of that by checking the appropriate check box.

Cloning your drive will NOT work! You would copy a PowerPC installation of OS X onto an Intel Mac.

However, I would recommend that you check for updates of your apps.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 12:38 PM

Yeah, cloning your drive would not work, since Intel Macs can't run the same OS as PPC Macs. But if you set it to transfer everything, Migration Assistant will make the new computer pretty indistinguishable from the old one.
Chuck
___

akwarner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy
I need to jump into this discussion. In the near future, I will be buying a MBP. I'd like to migrate my stuff from my 17' Powerbook over. So, a few questions: does this migration allow you to migrate applications? I realize that can raise issues, but I'd like to literally clone my current machine, move it over to my new machine, then wipe the hard drive and give my old machine to my wife. It would be much easier to do this than to re-install all my apps- in particular the ones that are downloaded apps.

Also, if I am going to use the migration assistant, can it only be done on the first start-up? If so, do I need to have my two machines connected before I fire up the new one in preparation?

Finally, is there another "smart" way to do it- is there a way to clone my entire hard drive onto an external drive? Would that be useful or not?

Thanks.
I just did this two weeks ago and it really is as simple and straightforward as everyone is saying. I was very impressed and pleased with how smoothly and completely it brought everything over. The only thing that needed to be done when it was finished was to re-run the OS updates to bring it up to 10.4.7. My assumption was that the updates on the previous G4 iBook I was upgrading from were the PPC ones and the new MBP of course needed the Intel ones. Once the updates were pulled down from online and installed, the machine was virtually indistinguishable from the previous one. Well software and data - wise, it was of course faster and the screen was bigger . I'm an old Windows user and this is by far the better way to move from one machine to another. there was no re-installing of applications, no forgetting to copy bookmarks or favorites, no resetting up of passwords or keys, no missing browser history, no icons missing from where I was accustomed to seeing them, etc. It is a great, well thought out process. As for backing up, while you should be doing regular backups regardless, this process simply copies information from your previous machine so there should not be anyway for it to damage the original copies of the information.

Enjoy your new MBP.

A.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by akwarner
I just did this two weeks ago and it really is as simple and straightforward as everyone is saying. I was very impressed and pleased with how smoothly and completely it brought everything over. The only thing that needed to be done when it was finished was to re-run the OS updates to bring it up to 10.4.7. My assumption was that the updates on the previous G4 iBook I was upgrading from were the PPC ones and the new MBP of course needed the Intel ones. Once the updates were pulled down from online and installed, the machine was virtually indistinguishable from the previous one. Well software and data - wise, it was of course faster and the screen was bigger . I'm an old Windows user and this is by far the better way to move from one machine to another. there was no re-installing of applications, no forgetting to copy bookmarks or favorites, no resetting up of passwords or keys, no missing browser history, no icons missing from where I was accustomed to seeing them, etc. It is a great, well thought out process. As for backing up, while you should be doing regular backups regardless, this process simply copies information from your previous machine so there should not be anyway for it to damage the original copies of the information.

Enjoy your new MBP.

A.
I went through the same process a few weeks ago, and my conclusion is that it works so well that it takes all the fun out of having a new computer!

It's just like having the same old computer I always had but in a different case, and running a bit faster.

As for backups, I agree. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do a backup just before doing this (at least any more than doing a backup any other time). This process is essentially making a backup of user data anyhow (the live data becomes the backup on the old machine, while the copy on the new machine becomes the live data).

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2006, 09:07 AM

Brass, I sort of thought about what you are saying. That experience of a clean slate is sort of fun...

Dumb question: how does all this work with software licenses, etc.? If an app is meant for one machine, but you migrate it to another- will the app not work?

Thanks for the input. Apple really is solid. Now, I just have to wait it out for those Meroms- hope it's not another month like some suggest!

OreoCookie
Jul 29, 2006, 10:21 AM

Well, even if Apple upgrades its machines with Meroms, I've waited something like six weeks for my MacBook Pro …�and the university received the first batch our retailer got!

Most software works, e. g. TextMate or all of OmniGroup's software did recognize the licenses properly.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy
Dumb question: how does all this work with software licenses, etc.? If an app is meant for one machine, but you migrate it to another- will the app not work?
Most license schemes are not keyed to certain hardware, so they can be tranferred with Migration Assistant. Apps that require activation, like Quark, will say the hardware has been tampered with and need to be reactivated.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules