Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Russian Connection

The Russian Connection (Page 10)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 11:31 AM

Van Jones said as much in his own words. The CNN producer said it's all about rating. Too bad they are getting beat by reruns of of Scooby Doo.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Van Jones said as much in his own words. The CNN producer said it's all about rating. Too bad they are getting beat by reruns of of Scooby Doo.
Chongo, this argument is stupid because of what has been said.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you want to defend the MSM, go ahead, but unless the point is to make yourself look like someone who makes stupid idiot arguments, for Christ's sake... pick literally any other outfit, MSNBC included.

CNN is a joke.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 12:06 PM

45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If you want to defend the MSM, go ahead, but unless the point is to make yourself look like someone who makes stupid idiot arguments, for Christ's sake... pick literally any other outfit, MSNBC included.

CNN is a joke.
Thats the conclusion I came to after snow-i called out one of their articles I posted. Them having to retract a story sealed it. If you read their stories you'll often see they use one source. Print media like to corroborate shit before they print it.

I'd use NBC but I probably wouldn't touch MSNBC.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 PM

You're right. I had to put him on ignore because the schtick is getting old.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Thats the conclusion I came to after snow-i called out one of their articles I posted. Them having to retract a story sealed it. If you read their stories you'll often see they use one source. Print media like to corroborate shit before they print it.

I'd use NBC but I probably wouldn't touch MSNBC.
At least MSNBC usually labels gossip as gossip.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2017, 06:15 PM

So I heard Don Jrs' meeting with the Russians was recorded.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Without even a sentence in between.
What was the point? To soften the blow? He needs to apologize to Chongo for name-calling, he knows that's off-limits here yet he can't ever seem to "keep it in his pants" once he loses his temper.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 08:46 PM

It most certainly is. You don't get to throw the baby out with the bathwater because you found some predictions for a specific timeline that didn't work out (assuming these are not fraudulent).
That's nuts, I'm absolutely not throwing out the baby (the environment) with the bathwater (the climate propaganda), despite the water being particularly "murky". I'm all on board with whatever is needed despite having reservations. I don't need the fear tactics or the heavy hand of the environmentally self-righteous, and I'll bet most other people don't either. It's time to stop spending billions and billions of $$ spreading the climate gospel and instead use it on actually effecting the change needed.

That seems to be your mantra. Don't like CNN going on about Russia? Must mean that the whole Russia thing is bogus.
CNN themselves saying it was a "nothingburger" wasn't enough, eh?

Don't like some climate predictions? Blows the entire principles of climate change out the window, evidently, because you know better.

Again, it comes back to this weird distrust of people who know what they are talking about
and you have a need to automatically trust any like-minded ideologue with a semblance of authority who comes along.

and this insecurity of yours
This is more about your own insecurity, otherwise you wouldn't repeatedly start hurling names and abuse when your side's beliefs are challenged in any way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

CNN is a joke.
What he said isn't stupid because of anything to do with the MSM. It's stupid because just like Chongo and CTP don't know better than intelligence experts who haven't concluded anything yet, neither does Van Jones.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
That's nuts, I'm absolutely not throwing out the baby (the environment) with the bathwater (the climate propaganda), despite the water being particularly "murky". I'm all on board with whatever is needed despite having reservations. I don't need the fear tactics or the heavy hand of the environmentally self-righteous, and I'll bet most other people don't either. It's time to stop spending billions and billions of $$ spreading the climate gospel and instead use it on actually effecting the change needed.
While I'm happy that you are pulling in the same direction, I'm not happy that you refuse to acknowledge the scientific consensus about global warming as a whole. It undermines the work of people that know far more about this stuff than any of us do, stimulates this "I know better" thing and distrust of an entire global community. It is also very conspiracy theory-ish, which doesn't help right now.

CNN themselves saying it was a "nothingburger" wasn't enough, eh?
This argument is stupid because of what has been said. CNN doesn't have privileged access to national intelligence (nor are they a single voice monolith just the same way as Hannity doesn't represent all of Fox).

and you have a need to automatically trust any like-minded ideologue with a semblance of authority who comes along.
I trust the scientific method and process. You should too. Seriously, watch some Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson or something to scrub these silly ideas out of your head.

This is more about your own insecurity, otherwise you wouldn't repeatedly start hurling names and abuse when your side's beliefs are challenged in any way.
My side's beliefs have not been challenged. Facts exist regardless of whether you want to believe in them or not, and climate change is a settled score that has gone through the scientific process. Your challenging gravity would not challenge the facts either.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 10:07 PM

My side's beliefs have not been challenged. Facts exist regardless of whether you want to believe in them or not, and climate change is a settled score that has gone through the scientific process. Your challenging gravity would not challenge the facts either.
Then you're just being an ass to be an ass? I was trying to give you some benefit of the doubt, but okay. I return back to my earlier conclusion, no one should converse with you because you can't control your temper.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 10:13 PM

Then you're just being an ass to be an ass? I was trying to give you some benefit of the doubt, but okay. I return back to my earlier conclusion, no one should converse with you because you can't control your temper.
Is climate change real or not?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Citation please.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 11:37 PM

I heard they identified the last person, but I've not seen anything about a verified recording.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2017, 08:54 AM

Citation please.
https://patribotics.blog/2017/07/18/...ussia-meeting/

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/07/...corded-report/

Possibly not the most reliable of sources.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 09:31 AM

'Possibly'

I'll give you credit I thought it was going to be a ****ing twitter link.

'Sources in five eyes' = lol

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2017, 09:41 AM

Yes. its been going on for almost 4.3 billion years. Obviously you don't know the right questions to have answered. Be lots more specific. You know, pretend to be a scientist.

OreoCookie
Jul 20, 2017, 09:51 AM

I would be quite careful with such sources, if it hasn't popped up on established sites, I am very skeptical.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Yes. its been going on for almost 4.3 billion years. Obviously you don't know the right questions to have answered. Be lots more specific. You know, pretend to be a scientist.
Climate change as a result of human activity.
I goofed and used anthropomorphic instead of anthropocentric a few times.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I would be quite careful with such sources, if it hasn't popped up on established sites, I am very skeptical.
Even CNN and MSNBC are avoiding it, only the Left's versions of Alex Jones are running with it, which means for now it's nothing but hokum.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 03:27 PM

Citation please.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Even CNN and MSNBC are avoiding it, only the Left's versions of Alex Jones are running with it, which means for now it's nothing but hokum.
In this current environment of leaks that the little Dutch Boy could plug, if there is a recording that was made and it contradicts Jr, it would have been leaked months ago. If there is a recording and it corroborates Jr, it will never see the light of day.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 20, 2017, 03:37 PM

In this current environment of leaks that the little Dutch Boy could plug,
One small finger-sized leak? I don't follow your analogy.

Maybe something like, "In this current environment of leaks that an entire country of little Dutch Boys couldn't plug..."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 04:57 PM

In this current environment of leaks that the little Dutch Boy could plug, if there is a recording that was made and it contradicts Jr, it would have been leaked months ago. If there is a recording and it corroborates Jr, it will never see the light of day.
Counter one crazy conspiracy theory with another. Bravo.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2017, 05:38 PM

Am I the only person to notice that Sarah Palin has disappeared? Coincidence?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 06:26 PM

45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2017, 08:15 PM

Thats going to depend entirely on who recorded it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 08:19 PM

Well, now we know why Trump was talking Mueller investigating his finances outside Russia – It was already happening
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-transactions
The U.S. special counsel investigating possible ties between the Donald Trump campaign and Russia in last year’s election is examining a broad range of transactions involving Trump’s businesses as well as those of his associates, according to a person familiar with the probe.

FBI investigators and others are looking at Russian purchases of apartments in Trump buildings, Trump’s involvement in a controversial SoHo development in New York with Russian associates, the 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Moscow and Trump’s sale of a Florida mansion to a Russian oligarch in 2008, the person said.

The investigation also has absorbed a money-laundering probe begun by federal prosecutors in New York into Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.
Apparently this includes some of the stuff Preet Bahara was looking into when he got shitcanned.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 09:49 PM

This the same BS that was pulled on Gov Fife Symington. After he beat Phoenix Mayor Terry Goddard in the general and then a runoff, Goddard's daddy pulled some strings and got an investigation started on Symington's short stint on the board of an S&L that was part of the S&L crash. After there was no there, there, the investigation moved on to his financing of his real estate developments. Hmm sounds familiar? They found a discrepancy in one of the loan applications and charged him with fraud. After there was almost a hung jury, they kicked one juror off then they found him guilty. The conviction was thrown out because of the tossed juror. Bubba gave him a pardon because he saved his life when Symington was a life guard in college.

Anything prior to the 2016 election process is pretty much a witch hunt. 2013? 2008!? Oligarch? Why not just call him a Russian businessman? Because oligarch sounds scarier.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

This the same BS that was pulled on Gov Fife Symington. After he beat Phoenix Mayor Terry Goddard in the general and then a runoff, Goddard's daddy pulled some strings and got an investigation started on Symington's short stint on the board of an S&L that was part of the S&L crash. After there was no there, there, the investigation moved on to his financing of his real estate developments. Hmm sounds familiar? They found a discrepancy in one of the loan applications and charged him with fraud. After there was almost a hung jury, they kicked one juror off then they found him guilty. The conviction was thrown out because of the tossed juror. Bubba gave him a pardon because he saved his life when Symington was a life guard in college.

Anything prior to the 2016 election process is pretty much a witch hunt. 2013? 2008!? Oligarch? Why not just call him a Russian businessman? Because oligarch sounds scarier.
I don't think he's gonna down on a technicality. If all they find is one or two shady deals 10 years ago, he should stay on.

However I'd be surprised if you'd be against deposing a pres Hillary on a technicality.

Edit: They use the term oligarch because Russia's market is rigged to bejesus and back.

Edit 2: Hell, Clinton was impeached on a technicality

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

The same tax returns he promised to release once he was out of audit?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2017, 11:31 PM

I don't think he's gonna down on a technicality. If all they find is one or two shady deals 10 years ago, he should stay on.
Agreed. Muller was chosen precisely because he's not a hitman.

Also, he knows which side of the congressional toast the butter is on, and is fully aware how this goes down will be his legacy...

Which he does not want entered into the record as "petty ****".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 11:32 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...df637#comments
Some of President Trump’s lawyers are exploring ways to limit or undercut special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s Russia investigation, building a case against what they allege are his conflicts of interest and discussing the president’s authority to grant pardons, according to people familiar with the effort.
With the Russia investigation continuing to widen, Trump’s lawyers are working to corral the probe and question the propriety of the special counsel’s work. They are actively compiling a list of Mueller’s alleged potential conflicts of interest, which they say could serve as a way to stymie his work, according to several of Trump’s legal advisers.
The president’s legal representatives have also identified what they allege are several conflicts of interest facing Mueller, such as donations to Democrats by some of his prosecutors.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2017, 12:46 AM

One of the lawyers worked for the Clinton Foundation.
45/47

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2017, 10:57 AM

O-ho, do we suddenly care about conflict of interest, nepotism, and nest-feathering?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2017, 11:00 AM

Nepotism? Who did Mueller hire that's family?
45/47

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2017, 11:05 AM

I'm just lumping all those Trumpy things together. Don't be obtuse.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 11:25 AM

One of the lawyers worked for the Clinton Foundation.
Represented. Important distinction. For a guy who just complained about scarewords you sure are lax in your vocabulary.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2017, 01:40 PM

Represented. Important distinction. For a guy who just complained about scarewords you sure are lax in your vocabulary.
In court for FOI cases filed by Judicial Watch
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 02:36 PM

In court for FOI cases filed by Judicial Watch
I don't understand the relevance

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 07:16 PM

Christ. Hot off the presses: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e83_story.html
Russia’s ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race, contrary to public assertions by the embattled attorney general, according to current and former U.S. officials.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak’s accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia. Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign.
Officials emphasized that the information contradicting Sessions comes from U.S. intelligence on Kislyak’s communications with the Kremlin, and acknowledged that the Russian ambassador could have mischaracterized or exaggerated the nature of his interactions.
I suspect someone will be back on the hill soon.

Sessions appeared to narrow that assertion further in extensive testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee in June, saying that he “never met with or had any conversation with any Russians or foreign officials concerning any type of interference with any campaign or election in the United States.”
This is phrased so specifically as to be true. He did not deny discussing campaign or foreign policy matters with them.

Former FBI director James B. Comey fueled speculation about the possibility of a Sessions-Kislyak meeting at the Mayflower when he told the same Senate committee on June 8 that the bureau had information about Sessions that would have made it “problematic” for him to be involved in the Russia probe.
There was a lot of speculation as to what he meant at the time.

I do wonder if Trump knew this was coming and thats why he trashed him. I wonder if they wouldn't mind him resigning so they could get someone who can fire Mueller in his chair.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 07:32 PM

However I'd be surprised if you'd be against deposing a pres Hillary on a technicality.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm just lumping all those Trumpy things together. Don't be obtuse.
Oh please. No one is more nepotistic than the Clintons.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2017, 08:19 PM

Oh please. No one is more nepotistic than the Clintons.
Except Trump, clearly. But you need to be able to trust your business partners when you're up to no good. Thats why the mafia is all about families.

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2017, 09:06 PM

Yes, we all remember Roger Clinton, aka Special Liaison to the President, sitting in his office in the White House, using his securrity clearance to sit in on meetings with foreign leaders or even standing in for the president at important conferences. That Roger, what a statesman. I hear he was also entrusted to create peace in the Middle East, bail out the auto industry, and cure cancer.

:eyeroll:

Not to say that Roger didn't benefit from his brother's fame, but seriously.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2017, 06:56 AM

Except Trump, clearly.
Not at all.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2017, 04:09 PM

Not at all.
His family is all over government business. Not to mention he has installed his own buddies, cronies and people he owes favours to in every conceivable government job.

I don't think Clinton ever came close to that.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2017, 06:45 PM

No, he just hired his wife own wife, and now their daughter, and blessed every buddy he had in college with gov't contracts and loans. The guy was Captain Croney, a modern day boss Tweed.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2017, 10:13 AM

And now he's talking about pardoning himself and his kids before they've even been found guilty of anything. Sounds a bit like something a dictator would do. Even the Saudis are arresting and executing princes these days. Though they aren't short of them to be fair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules