Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > remaining reasons for forcing us back into OS 9?

remaining reasons for forcing us back into OS 9? (Page 2)
escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2001, 06:40 PM

1. No printer drivers for my Epson EPL-5700i laser printer.
2. No printing in Word X test drive (Office X in Nov. will solve this).
3. No Palm Desktop for X.

Of those three problems, the lack of X drivers for my laser printer sucks big ass.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

lenkman
Sep 30, 2001, 06:55 PM

Not necessarily in this order.

1. Realplayer
2. Pagemaker (I know, but my school uses it as default, and hence every publication I work on does too.)
3. Photoshop
4. Office, of course
5. Toast with USB burner support - not all computers, after all, have firewire
6. Support for the video card in my laptop (default installed on my lombard)
7. Font management - suitcase 10 for X will do nicely

give me all of this and I can practically toss out Classic

I hope all of these are on the way, but I am not holding my breath on the driver for my video card.

Fortunately, 10.1 seems to have dealt with the rest of the speed issues.

<besson3c>
Sep 30, 2001, 07:00 PM

Cowdog:

I don't know if you've noticed this, but if you enlarge the font panel in say, TextEdit, you can create custom font groups... of course with the font panel you can quickly see how something is going to look (which perhaps covers the font preview request), and I don't think there is the same limitation on how many fonts you can have installed at a given time.

Just writing this incase you haven't noticed the increased functionality you get when you enlarge the font panel. Does this not cover all (or most) of your requests for font management?

<Poiriolio>
Sep 30, 2001, 07:12 PM

1.A new mac.

While some aspect of the system are awesome, (burning while doing other stuff), the responsiveness on a low end mac is'nt great( for me, but maybe ok for others).

IMHO, It's a good OS but it's utopical to think an OS will run great on a mac that came before it.

Poire

<ED>
Oct 1, 2001, 04:14 AM

MacRat, Bryce 5 has been available for OS X since a while back.

<Jaxxe>
Oct 1, 2001, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
<STRONG>Tops for me is the inability to access any of my office servers, through AppleShare or Netware, which is what we support. I have hopes that 10.1 will let me do this since Apple claims it has improved the ability to connect to AFP servers over AppleTalk. I don't trust Novell to ever fix this, either. I honestly don't mind spending time in Classic to run my apps but this is a deal-breaker; I have to access the servers at least a dozen times a day.

I also need native versions of Photoshop, InDesign and GoLive but I know they're coming so I'm not as concerned about that.

I also need to be able to use my external CD-RW but I think Toast 5.1 will take care of that, if support for second-party burners isn't included in 10.1.</STRONG>
You and me both... but this has been fixed with 10.1! I work for an advertising company, and we all use Macs. I was pretty impressed when I clicked the AppleTalk, and everyone was shown! Works great!

trash80
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 05:44 AM

- general speed, 10 is not as fast as 9.2 on my 350Mhz iMac with 128MB of RAM, its usable but 9.2 is much snappier. anyone got a machine like this running 10.1? (my 10.1 copy is en route according to apple

mostly the problem is with peripherals, maybe the following have OSX drivers already?

- Cool iCam driver
- Nikon Coolpix995 support
- Lacie USB CD-RW support (10.1 i suppose... iTunes works already)
- UMAX USB scanner (though i usually use my SCSI scanner on my 7200 so USB scanner support isn't that vital for me)
- USB Zipdrive support

- Chinese language kit support, at least equal to 9.2

selkirk
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 05:46 AM

The only reasons that I boot into 9 now are for games and scanning. The other 9 apps that I use are annoying but usable under classic. It seems that this is the consensus on this thread along with a couple other hardware devices and varying degree of tolerance for the major 9 apps in classic: Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

I'm not sure that I ever expect to be able to play my old games under classic or get carbon versions. I still play Scorched Earth sometimes. It's a DOS game that stopped working in windows when Win95 came out. My brother still has my classic II, which we use to play Armor Alley.

The scanning thing is another matter. I think that is the biggest oversight in OS X. Support for hardware like scanners is something that Apple could and maybe should do themselves, very much unlike porting Word and Photoshop. I find lack of scanner support unbelievable given Apple's traditional markets. Are any of those folks at Seybold who were clapping and cheering about AppleScript going to switch when they can't scan under X?

<elbisivni>
Oct 1, 2001, 05:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mithras:
[QB]1. Reading memory sticks (anyone know of a reader that works in OS X?)

Mithras - I've the USB Sony Memory Stick reader/Writer. Forget which model it is, but it works fine with OS X. I didn't even bother installing the (Classic) drivers.

I did use the Memory stick mouse that Sony puts out, but which worked fine too, but it is a particularly dire mouse so I dumped it.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2001, 07:11 AM

Well, since my Epson scanner works in Classic (and has since about 10.0.2), and my Canon printer & Iomega burner now work in OS 10.1, I basically do not ever need to actually boot up in OS 9.x again.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

one
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 11:14 PM

1: My SCSI CD-R/W. I really don't care whether I get it from Apple or Roxio, but I need to burn, and that's it. Fortunately, I don't need to burn all that often.... By the way, *wHY* is Toast 5 so f'ugly? It's like Bing Crosby in blackface! :o

2: Disk maintenance. I know Drive10 is out, but I'm still a little sore from buying TechToolPro 3.03 after MicroMat assured me it would work fine on/with (but not in) X. As annoying and poorly designed as TTP is, I think I'll see what Norton's up to when he/they/it shows his/its hand, rather than take a chance on another questionable bundle of joy from MicroMat....

3: Usenet. Yeah, Thoth runs native in X. Fine. Thoth and its predecessors are notorious (at least on my desktop, but I've heard this from others) for bringing my PBG3 to a dead halt when doing things like getting headers & creating & sorting article lists. In X, it gets even uglier: in X&lt;1, using Thoth for any length of time led to a thrashing that began while Thoth was performing the above operations, and made my mac literally unusable for days (I actually waited one time to see if Thoth would complete, and it did - after about 3 days - only to become unstable, and then really lock up :mad .

This was my one big 10.0 horror story; so far it hasn't happened in 10.1, I just get kernel panics (brand new, for me). Hey, maybe a kernel panic is just a warp-speed version of the dragging hell - same end result, achieved much much faster.

This would actually be a GoodThing(tm).

Don't mean to slam Thoth, or the author; I think it's an impressive effort, a powerful program, and a good tool. I just think that Thoth may require some structural work in order to really fit in w/ X.

And pardon me, but what is this obsession w/ RealPlayer? Why would anyone waste time and attention on such lo-fi crap? What content could possibly be so compelling???
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

one
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 11:14 PM

oops! :o

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: one ]

<Tarbash>
Oct 1, 2001, 11:16 PM

Grrrr.... the ONLY thing I use 9 for is burning. I have a QPS FireWire burner, 8x4x32 updated to Firmware v 1.07 (had to do this on a PeeCee, twice just to make sure), and the thing STILL DOESN'T WORK in 10.1. It doesn't even show up in the System Profiler.

Any ideas? I'm about to save up for the the new Lacie 24x Firewire burner if this POS doesn't work. Someone please help. Thanks.

<Tarbash>
Oct 1, 2001, 11:24 PM

One more reason: to play Tropico. I love that game, and I know its carbonized for OS X, but on 10.1 i get a black screen and can't see anything. All the sounds and everything are fine. I'm on a TiBook/500/512/20. Could this just be a 10.1 issue?

one
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 11:26 PM

wtf???

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: one ]

edoggie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2001, 01:46 AM

No, this does not have anything to do with Font Management. Mac OS X doesn't really have Font Management. The Font Panel only works with Cocoa (AKA NextStep) applications, which means applications that are Carbonized like Freehand, Corel Draw 10, Office vX, will not be able to use the rudamentry Font orginization built into OS X. Font Management goes beyond the Font Panel, programs like Font Reserve and Suitcase allow the user to group sets of Fonts together, turn Font sets on and off (as well as individual fonts), automatically enable disabled fonts when requested in programs like Quark, Illustrator, InDesign. These programs also manage font conflicts (OS 9 it is possible to have to many fonts and fonts that conflict with each other causing System errors, printing problems and more). Font Reserve goes allot further by handling Fonts on a network, controlling licensing and other issue. Mac OS X will get Font Reserver and Suitcase soon so the issue is pretty mute, but don't think OS X has built in Font management, cause it doesn't.

Serious artist use serious font management tools.
Eric
[email protected]

Originally posted by &lt;besson3c&gt;:
<STRONG>Cowdog:

I don't know if you've noticed this, but if you enlarge the font panel in say, TextEdit, you can create custom font groups... of course with the font panel you can quickly see how something is going to look (which perhaps covers the font preview request), and I don't think there is the same limitation on how many fonts you can have installed at a given time.

Just writing this incase you haven't noticed the increased functionality you get when you enlarge the font panel. Does this not cover all (or most) of your requests for font management?</STRONG>

scarab
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
<STRONG>1. Reading memory sticks (anyone know of a reader that works in OS X?)
</STRONG>

Memory sticks are supposed to be supported by Image Capture right?

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2001, 04:18 AM

Things that make me boot to 9:
1. PCM card from my Kodak camera for my tibook, 10.1 does not recognise it.
2. SCSI support for my Umax scanner for my g4, although I have not tested the latest vuescan, previous versions wrecked havoc with my scanner.
3. Windows connectivity, try a mixed network of Novell and NT and the promised samba just does not work. However Novell have released their NFA, will test and report later.
4. Nostalgia

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 05:19 AM

For the several people who have mentioned lack of SCSI scanner support, I have an Adaptec 2906 card with a Umax 2200 and a Minolta Elite film scanner hanging on it--both work fine with Vuescan.

supernature
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 05:53 AM

Reasons to boot up Classic:
- Photoshop
- Printing to Epson C80
- Scanning (unconfirmed weather I need to boot up in OS 9)
- RealPlayer
- Final Cut Pro (unconfirmed weather I need to boot up in OS 9 for Firewire)
- Java based games (works better using OS 9 though)
- Microsoft Office (new version should take care of this)
- AppleWorks (don't have version 6 for X)

Reasons to boot up under OS 9
- Windows Media Player
- Final Cut Pro (use of Firewire services)
- Burning music CDs (Crappy ZipCD burner hasn't worked with iTunes yet - OS 9 and OS X, so I have to use Adaptecs software)

Other than that - here's some past reasons that has now been taken care of with 10.1
- DVD Player
- Burning data discs
- digital Camera driver
- Few Java games barely work now
- Dual display

supernature
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 05:53 AM

Reasons to boot up Classic:
- Photoshop
- Printing to Epson C80
- Scanning (unconfirmed weather I need to boot up in OS 9)
- RealPlayer
- Final Cut Pro (unconfirmed weather I need to boot up in OS 9 for Firewire)
- Java based games (works better using OS 9 though)
- Microsoft Office (new version should take care of this)
- AppleWorks (don't have version 6 for X)

Reasons to boot up under OS 9
- Windows Media Player
- Final Cut Pro (use of Firewire services)
- Burning music CDs (Crappy ZipCD burner hasn't worked with iTunes yet - OS 9 and OS X, so I have to use Adaptecs software)

Other than that - here's some past reasons that has now been taken care of with 10.1
- DVD Player
- Burning data discs
- digital Camera driver
- Few Java games barely work now
- Dual display

MacOS761
Senior User
Oct 2, 2001, 06:48 AM

*cringe*

Once I get ahold of 10.1 (today? please? Apple!?), my only remaining 9 need is printing to my Personal Laserwriter NTR (aww yeah) via a g4Port. The Laserwriter drivers are there, but the g4Port drivers are not. I've e-mailed griffin just now, and hopefully they'll have some good news to report. Now it's just an issue of not physically hurting myself due to overwhelming anticipation...
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2001, 02:00 AM

I need:

1.) fax software

2.) something that supports my scsi burner; for data and for music

3.) a retrospect backup application that supports my dat

4.) a final stable version of vpc

5.) a scanner. any scanner be it scsi or usb. I've given up even hoping for support for my UMAX 600S

_____

1.) is apparently a hopeless task and i will probably buy a standalone fax machine.
2.) at least my scsi burner is at long last seen in the System Profiler. And it actually plays music cd's but burning support is MIA. Maybe that's to appreciate it better when it finally shows up.
3.) I think that there is possibly a chance of this happening.
4.) ditto
5.) This ia a total mystery to me. How can Apple hold up it's head as a publishing solution without scanner support and support for all of the other things that go with it [like OCR ]. drjoe
5.)

MacOS761
Senior User
Oct 3, 2001, 02:23 AM

From the e-mail I got from griffin in response to my inquiry about g4Port drivers:

We have an Alpha, but currently it's unstable, too unstable for a beta, but we're close.

The guy also mentioned that Localtalk is not not implemented in OSX (I had forgotten this), and he also said that he doesn't really expect it to be implemented ever. On the other hand, there are drivers for localtalk-only printers in the System/Library, so I don't know what to think. Hope I don't have to get a new printer anytime soon... (this coming from 1 of about 5 people in the world using laserwriter NTR's anymore )
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by MusicMac:
<STRONG>What keeps me from the beautiful, modern OS? Anything MIDI and Digital Audio. I can't get a straight answer from any professional music app company. I need Finale and Digital Performer. After that it's OSX all the way. </STRONG>
That's funny; Emagic told me Logic would be out on Jan 7th.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

lgerbarg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by MacOS761:
<STRONG>From the e-mail I got from griffin in response to my inquiry about g4Port drivers:

We have an Alpha, but currently it's unstable, too unstable for a beta, but we're close.

The guy also mentioned that Localtalk is not not implemented in OSX (I had forgotten this), and he also said that he doesn't really expect it to be implemented ever. On the other hand, there are drivers for localtalk-only printers in the System/Library, so I don't know what to think. Hope I don't have to get a new printer anytime soon... (this coming from 1 of about 5 people in the world using laserwriter NTR's anymore )</STRONG>
I think the g4Port should work with the AppleSCCSerial driver, you just have to add two lines to the Info.plist:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
&lt;key&gt;kSCCDebugKey&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
</font>[/code]

They should be added inside the AppleSCCSerial personality of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSCCSerial.kext/Contents/Info.plist, like so:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
&lt;key&gt;AppleSCCSerial&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;CFBundleIdentifier&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;com.apple.driver.AppleSCCSerial&l t;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;IOClass&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;AppleSCCSerial&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;IONameMatch&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;array&gt;
&lt;string&gt;ch-a&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;string&gt;ch-b&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;/array&gt;
&lt;key&gt;IOProviderClass&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;AppleMacIODevice&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;kSCCDebugKey&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
</font>[/code]

Let me know how it goes, I like their products. I actually hacked up the iMate drivers they have lying on their webpage to work with 10.1 a few weeks ago (I need one for a pet project ;-) I sent them the fix, so hopefully it should incorporated sometime soon.

Good luck.

Louis
Louis Gerbarg
Darwin Developer
These are my views, and not the views of my employer.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 03:39 AM

I really need entourage. It keeps crashing for me in classic. Other than that I need Finale and Logic. I'm excited to hear that Logic is coming so soon. That is a huge ass program and emagic is an incredible company. I also need AIM file transfers. In general AIM blows for OS X but I seem to be the only person who can't use Fire. It chokes on my screen name, but not anyone elses. Eric Peyton can't figure it out. I don't know what to do since I like fire (but that needs file transfers too.)

However I finally made a true switch over to X. I have been abusing it the past few days and I haven't been able to do much damage. Apple really got this one right. I think for the most part the rest of the problems are out of their hands. Now its up to the developers. The question is, will these OS X apps be good (like Office)? Or will they be crap? (like AIM). I think most developers that have shown a commitment to the Mac will come through but the companies with questionable Mac support could release some poor quality sofware that isn't worthy of our amazing operating system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules