Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP stock ram qustions

MBP stock ram qustions
gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

I heard from somewhere sometime ago that the MBP stock rams are faster than the 3rd party rams and wanted to know if this statement was true or not. Unfortunately I do not remember where I heard it from.

Anyways I would like to know the specification of the MBP stock ram (ie. timing of the ram, cas-latency and etc.).

I currently have the 2.0ghz stock settings and would like to purchase 1 gig of ram preferably a same 1 gig stick of ram in terms of performance and reliability. I would hate to spend $180 on a stick of ram that has the same performance of a $90 stick of ram just because it is known to be more reliable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 01:01 PM

Not true at all. You can buy third party RAM at the same speed and timing (PC2-5300/DDR2-667 at 5-5-5-12).
As for reliability and not causing crashes, some vendors are better than others. I like Crucial, but others prefer 1800memory.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 03:28 PM

try www.datamem.com

their 1gb sticks are $113. I am ordering one in a few minutes.

ender78
Apr 7, 2006, 03:44 PM

I have OWC in my MacBook Pro, no problems at all.

volcano
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by gotanproject
I heard from somewhere sometime ago that the MBP stock rams are faster than the 3rd party rams and wanted to know if this statement was true or not. Unfortunately I do not remember where I heard it from.
Probably an Apple store employee

Some of their employees are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. I was at my local store yesterday, and heard an employee talking about running Windows under Boot Camp to a potential switcher. She was describing how it ran under emulation like Virtual PC... and it made me sick. I let the guy know (after she left) that 99% of what she said was false - and I showed him the Boot Camp page at Apple's website.

Forum Links
Forum Rules