Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > reinstall disk

reinstall disk
lowdaksport
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 09:41 AM

Ok so my cousin gave me an old iMac G3, and i was going to up the ram and try to install tiger just for something to do. Now can I use my reinsall disk for my power book or no. I heard you cant but Id like to verify that. If i cant I'll just buy a copy at my school bookstore.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2006, 10:50 AM

No you can't use your PowerBook disc and remember that Tiger needs a FireWire port but can be installed with xpostfacto.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 4, 2006, 10:58 AM

****search the forum**** - this gets asked at *least* once a week.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

lowdaksport  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
****search the forum**** - this gets asked at *least* once a week.
Well i tried searching, but i must not be searchign the right words lol. Anyways sorry to post a common question. Now would it be better to buy an older version of OS X from ebay or somehting. I see a ton of them on there pretty cheap. Im not sure what this computer really is capable to run. Im still new too Macs and i just got this G3 for free so i figure i can mess with it and learn, instead of messing with my PowerBook. So i just a little guidance for what to use for the OS. I guess i could just restore it with what it has but im used to Tiger now so I figure I shoul dget somehtign similar. Anyways, any thoughts or input would be fantastic.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 4, 2006, 12:14 PM

actually, you didn't even have to search - there is a thread with the same basic question right on the very first page of this forum from just a day or two ago.

And again, it is not just a tech issue, it is a licensing issue. Having a copy of the OS does not entitle you to install here there and everywhere.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

lowdaksport  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 12:20 PM

ahhh ok . So if i were to buy a copy what would you reccoment i believe it is a 400 mhz and it has upgraded to 256 i think ram. I think I first just use its reinatll disks and see how i like then look into buying an older version of osx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules