Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm schizo and the MBP is an embarrassment

I'm schizo and the MBP is an embarrassment
pete
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 07:37 PM

I was prepared to buy my third macbook pro at the Apple Store today - I've returned two to Amazon already but was hoping that the latest revision would be an improvement. I asked one of the store people what happens if something is defective out of the box -like uneven illumination etc. She said that they replace them immediately within 10 days and after that it falls under warranty. I looked closely at all the 15" MBP and every single had some kind of issue. Maybe I am picky about things, but it doesn';t instil confidence to see all the macbook pros having warperd bezels to one degree or another. Nor does it install confidence to see aluminum buckle out around the edges of the body and screen and under the latch, or see unevenly illuminated screens and poor viewing angles. The more I looked, the more annoyed I was. I need a computer, but I hate paying for something that I know is poorly assembled.

What makes this particularly bad is that ALL the macbooks seem to be perfect. Fit and finish is top notch, keys are straigh, nothing bent anywhere of course, screen perfect with even illumination, heat on top is well-controlled etc. In comparison, the MBPs really are an embarrassment.Amazingly poor QC. You're paying much more for a qualitatively inferior product. Yes, it has a big screen and a graphics card, but it's so inconsisent in quality that it's ridiculous. I asked the Apple rep if she could be honest about if there were many problems with the earlier batches. Guess what she said! " No, I was working at an Apple Store when they were first released and there definitely were not many returns. "How can I buy from a liar and feel good about my purchase?

I was even standing in line to pay, but the more I thought about it, the more I was doubting my purchase. I finally just left without a computer. I feel a little schizo at this point. I thought I might buy at the Apple store just because it'[s easier to exchange if there are problems, but then I realised that problem are subjective and Apple is not acknowledging any problems so even I think I have a problem, they might not and thus I'm stuck with a computer I don't want. Amazon at least doesn't argue with you about whether your computer is really defective or not.

So now I'm just annoyed and computer-less. Actually not entirely: my girlfriend's 6 year old pismo is once again saving me.
( Last edited by pete; May 24, 2006 at 08:18 PM. )

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 07:51 PM

Pete,

I hear your frustration. I think you probably represent a lot of frustrated and disgruntled MacBook Pro users out there who are working on their 3rd, 4th, 5th problematic MacBook Pro. For me once was enough on both the 15- and 17-inch models. Let's hope Apple fixes this with a total redesign in the near future.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

tillin
May 24, 2006, 08:04 PM

not to be rude or anything, but i am glad to have heard about such instances as this, i was going to trade my 17" powerbook in to switch to a MBP, decided against it, then i was gonna go with the MB, and decided against that at the last second, ill wait until my warranty goes out.

i did discover a mysterious dent in the left side of my powerbook though, i nearly had a heart attack when i saw it, im so careful with it.... how did this happen?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 08:12 PM

MacBooks have integrated graphics and MBPs suffer from terrible QC issues. I'm thankful I'm not in the market for a Mactel.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 08:15 PM

Come on Pete...your saying that you can do your work on a Pismo, yet you have to buy a new MBP to be happy? That's a 6 year gap in technology, dude.

Then, the MB's you looked at were perfect and you didn't buy one why exactly?

Normally I dig your posts, and you seem level headed....what's really going on,man?

Don't fall in love with machines, I picked up a used Ti book on the really cheap...blows my Pismo out of the water. Hell, I'll sell you my Pismo if it meets your needs.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:20 PM

What's so depressing is that when I use the MBP, I always imagine how great they COULD be if done properly...and then the flaws jump out at me.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by shunt
Come on Pete...your saying that you can do your work on a Pismo, yet you have to buy a new MBP to be happy? That's a 6 year gap in technology, dude.

Then, the MB's you looked at were perfect and you didn't buy one why exactly?

Normally I dig your posts, and you seem level headed....what's really going on,man?

Don't fall in love with machines, I picked up a used Ti book on the really cheap...blows my Pismo out of the water. Hell, I'll sell you my Pismo if it meets your needs.

You're right: I'm losing it. I love the Pismo because it always works perfectly, doesn't have any design problems and because I'm sentimental because it has been close to me for so long. But, it works only for emails, web and very light stuff. I can't do my photography stuff or anything that needs some processing power. I'm just always happy that it's there, waiting to support me like an old friend.

Why I didn't get a macbook? Because I've been spoiled with the large screen on my past powerbooks for the last five years. And I love the feel of aluminum too, even though plastic is probably a better notebook material. I've been spoiled by Apple in the past and that's why I'm frustrated that they are not making a machine that lives up to their own standards.

You're absolutely right though: don't fall in love with machines. I'm going to go cool down and come to my senses.....

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 09:15 PM

Look, Apple is a company that is made up of people...living, breathing people like us who make mistakes. But, I think as a whole they still kick ass on a daily basis. We're out of the dark times now with a great OS, and I too sometimes keep expecting more and more.

But hey, I'm grateful for what we have...how far we've come.

I say get the Macbook, in black. If I had the cash I'd be picking one up myself, but I get by just fine with what I have.

Chekc out what was in my back yard a few minutes ago, I was in the kitchen *eating again* ha, and they snuck up on me...mama and little one. (I really need a new camera)

Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pete
You're right: I'm losing it. I love the Pismo because it always works perfectly, doesn't have any design problems and because I'm sentimental because it has been close to me for so long. But, it works only for emails, web and very light stuff. I can't do my photography stuff or anything that needs some processing power. I'm just always happy that it's there, waiting to support me like an old friend.

Why I didn't get a macbook? Because I've been spoiled with the large screen on my past powerbooks for the last five years. And I love the feel of aluminum too, even though plastic is probably a better notebook material. I've been spoiled by Apple in the past and that's why I'm frustrated that they are not making a machine that lives up to their own standards.

You're absolutely right though: don't fall in love with machines. I'm going to go cool down and come to my senses.....
You clearly want to get a new mac, so to tide you over maybe you should pick up a Mac Mini. It will work much better than your Pismo. It certainly can hold you till January and maybe by then the quality of the MBP will be better. At that point you can sell your mini and you'll lose maybe a few hundred bucks.

I'm hoping the QC improves too and I do think it will. Just hang in there Pete!

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 10:50 PM

you know, sometimes i look at my g4 powerbook and think the keyboard is warped, but it's just a play of the light on the keys which are curved.. isn't the mbp basically the same body as the old g4s? how could they have screwed it up to the point where every single one has flaws? I just don't get it.

The whine is something else.. probably the engineers were high-frequency tone deaf. I can understand why you think the laptop fit should be perfect, but hey, it's 4x faster than my g4. i want one

skyman
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 11:29 PM

Pete, if you don't mide the 13" screen then get a MacBook.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 11:33 PM

I am on my 4th MBP. Yes, Apple had to replace it 3 times to get it almost right. Even after the firmware update it is sill HOT and yes the whine is still there.

I have not decided what to do... yet.

Except for those two issues I am happy with the MBP.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 11:59 PM

I love my first MBP and am very happy with it.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 03:18 AM

This is kinda what happens when buying a first revision. problems galore.

Even waiting for the next revision doesnt guarantee a fix since some performance issues that a user may consider unacceptable may infact be considered acceptable by apple and go untreated. such is life.

I think the uneven illumination issues are here to stay im afraid. this has been talked about endlessly over the past 2 years from many people about white spots and dark spots...

Im pretty sure it will be hard to find any manufacturer who will completely satisfy a user who is more sensitive to the performance of a laptop... i consider myself to be a fussy owner... If i have one dead pixel on the screen i cant work... if fans and hard disk are noisey i cant work... too distracting. im lucky i have perfect pixels on my 17" thank goodness and the PB is rather silent. Even my LCD 37" TV has no dead pixels... i seem to have good karma hehe

What i can suggest is go to an apple store and find a display model that is there for you to examine and if you like it then beg the shop to sell you that demo model... they cant be that old and you can see it for yourself.

its kind of the luck of the draw... some get lemons some get chocolate. examining a demo .. at leat you know what you will get... and you may get it at a discount since it is a demo ?

good luck to all! hope you find something that satisfies. It does make a difference when everything works nicely so dont give up.

cheers,
robM

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006, 04:26 AM

I think pete should buy a MacBook and a nice LCD to go with it from when he's working on the desk. Best of both worlds with none of the shocking QC issues of the Pro which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by freakboy2
you know, sometimes i look at my g4 powerbook and think the keyboard is warped, but it's just a play of the light on the keys which are curved.. isn't the mbp basically the same body as the old g4s? how could they have screwed it up to the point where every single one has flaws? I just don't get it.

The whine is something else.. probably the engineers were high-frequency tone deaf. I can understand why you think the laptop fit should be perfect, but hey, it's 4x faster than my g4. i want one
Well, when I look at my MBP and see crooked keys it unfortunately isn't a play of the light. Its annoying but I live with it because the computer doesn't have the whine, heat or screen issues. The mac genius says its "within spec". Other laptop makers, don't seem to screw up things like keyboards on their computers. I know its hardly the most important issue discussed here, but if the factory can't make a straight keyboard what other components have not been assembled properly?

dialo
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 09:17 AM

The MacBooks aren't necessarily better. I went through 4 problematic MacBooks this week before finally giving up on them.

Dr.Michael
May 25, 2006, 09:43 AM

[100th repetition]
The Pismo was the last of the G3 Powerbooks and Apple had time for a long line of improvements before they came out with something (nearly) perfect.

If you buy a rev a you get the latest and coolest new toy but you cannot assume that its perfect. Especially not after such huge changes like new processor, new motherboard architecture, new chipset, new operating system (yes, it has to be re-compiled and adapted to the cpu). If you buy a rev a even though, you have to be prepared for issues. Just don't do it if you are picky!!! Understand that you are a beta tester.

Hey, did you read that? Did you understand? Did you digest?

[/100th repetition]

If not, start to write software and see what your users will tell you after your first release.
Well, we all need beta testers. Economy wouldn't work without them. But maybe you are just not this type of guy. Not bad, just react accordingly and wait for rev b or c. It works!

skyman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78
This is kinda what happens when buying a first revision. problems galore.
This is total BS!

I have owned 4 rev a PowerBooks that had zero problems. Apparently you have not!

Stop using the lame "rev a" excuse.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
... Other laptop makers, don't seem to screw up things like keyboards on their computers. ....
name one, please

skyman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:20 AM

name one, please
Ditto.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:52 AM

name one, please
I'll name more than one. Gateway, Dell, HP, Lenovo all have managed to kick out laptops that don't have so many "fit and finish" issues.

Also, I have not heard the term "Revision A" used an excuse for poor quality for these other makers. It seems that if Apple produces a low quality product and its "Revision A" then its the consumer's fault and Apple is excused. As in "Well, you should know better than to buy a revision A laptop--they are always crappy". Sorry, I'm not going to fall for that.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 11:02 AM

I'll name more than one. Gateway, Dell, HP, Lenovo all have managed to kick out laptops that don't have so many "fit and finish" issues.

And you base this on what evidence?

You are completely clueless!!

I am an IT manager for a company that is exclusively all Dell. I have a Dell repair tech here on average of twice a month to fix both laptops and desktops that have failed. Dells QC is no better than Apple's!

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 11:06 AM

Also, I have not heard the term "Revision A" used an excuse for poor quality for these other makers. It seems that if Apple produces a low quality product and its "Revision A" then its the consumer's fault and Apple is excused. As in "Well, you should know better than to buy a revision A laptop--they are always crappy". Sorry, I'm not going to fall for that.

You're basing that on what you read in these forums. Good luck finding forums for any other manufacturer with such passionate users. Other brands are also not expected to live up to the same "fit and finish" quality as Apple since they strive for form and function while other companies mainly look at function. If you expect it to look amazing then you will inevitably find problems. If you expect it to just work then you won't find "fit and finish" issues.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by skyman

I am an IT manager for a company that is exclusively all Dell. I have a Dell repair tech here on average of twice a month to fix both laptops and desktops that have failed. Dells QC is no better than Apple's!
I would like to second that, I'm an IT tech for a company that is also exclusively Dell and I have a repair tech out here about twice a month for an office of about 100 people.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
I would like to second that, I'm an IT tech for a company that is also exclusively Dell and I have a repair tech out here about twice a month for an office of about 100 people.
Yes, Dell's tech support sucks, their customer service sucks and their QC sucks.

The only reason the company I work for buys Dell is because Dell computers are CHEAP ($$) and that is the bottom line for most companies......Unfortunately.

Dr.Michael
May 25, 2006, 11:23 AM

The example of Lenovo supports the rev a thesis. Just have a look at how long they stick to the same design. IBM has once created this design and is using it with SLIGHT modifications since 1995 (before thinkpads were a little bit clunky). Small steps from model to model means small risk to introduce big issues. And thus thinkpads are very reliable (and their revision a has been released ten years ago).

Now look at apple. Every few years they throw away everything and come up with a completely new design. Wallstreet: new case -> hinge problems. Same with tibook (plus paint), Alubook ->white spots (but overall good design), 12inch Alubook -> heat, case warp, white G3 iBook -> don't have to go into detail here.
More details: first slot in drives (in tibooks) failed a lot, usb in lombard lost external hardware. Wasn't completely solved even in the pismo.

There are exceptions: the first iBooks have been the most reliable notebooks apple has ever produced. The G4s are also ok according to my knowledge.

It is clear and obvious: a completely new development must have problems and no company can afford to test it perfectly before they have to release.
Nobrainer if you ask me!
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 25, 2006 at 11:31 AM. )

skyman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
The example of Lenovo supports the rev a thesis. Just have a look at how long they stick to the same design. IBM has once created this design and is using it with SLIGHT modifications since 1995 (before thinkpads were a little bit clunky). Small steps from model to model means small risk to introduce big issues. And thus thinkpads are very reliable.

Now look at apple. Every few years they throw away everything and come up with a completely new design. Wallstreet: new case -> hinge problems. Same with tibook (plus paint), Alubook ->white spots (but overall good design), 12inch Alubook -> heat, case warp, white G3 iBook -> don't have to go into detail here.
More details: first slot in drives (in tibooks) failed a lot, usb in lombard lost external hardware. Wasn't completely solved even in the pismo.

There are exceptions: the first iBooks have been the most reliable notebooks apple has ever produced. The G4s are also ok according to my knowledge.

It is clear and obvious: a completely new development must have problems and no company can afford to test it perfectly before they have to release.
Nobrainer!
These were all manufacturing defects, not design flaws. There is a difference.

Example:

The 1Ghz Ti Powerbook fans ran constantly. This is a design flaw. The flaking paint was a manufacturing defect.

My PISMO was flawless.
My Ti PB fans ran all the time.
My iBook logic board needed to be replaced.
My MBP runs hotter than any other laptop I have ever used (including PC laptops).

We could debate this issue until we are all blue in the face.

There is no perfect solution to this problem.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 11:41 AM

I've had a number of laptops from the other companies I've mentioned and overall I like Macs much better. However, with regard to "fit and finish" issues its just been my personal experience that I have yet to get a machine from any of those companies with warping, misaligned keys or gaps.

I do have a friend who received a Dell machine that did indeed come once with some misaligned edges. He sent it back and got a replacement without any BS about it being "within spec". Yes, Dell computers are cheap and junky, and they run windows so lets just get that out of the way before it comes up.

I'm just tired of the whole concept of "Revision A". It's been used for too long on these forums to justify inferior quality control. As soon as this term is invoked, all quality issues associated with a poorly made product magically become acceptable and in fact are the customer's fault.

SkaGoat
May 25, 2006, 12:26 PM

Apple has no excuse with the MacBook Pro, it's just a small rev (as far as the case go) no different than what IBM does. The case has changed much since the first AlBooks came out.

There are lots of companies that put out notebooks with few flaws in first Revs, HP, Dell, and Sony to name a few.

But I do think small things like light leakage, and slightly bent bezels is nothing to return a computer over. If you don't want flaws, don't buy a first rev Apple. I wouldn't have returned it over these petty little flaws... Don't ever buy a car, they are full of little flaws like this and you can't return them.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 01:47 PM

I don't think your schizo Pete, butt maybe you have some obsessive compulsive tendencies that keep you from enjoying a MacBook Pro.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 03:13 PM

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 03:21 PM

Yes, I get it! However, run a search for "crapintosh" on Google and you will also get similar results. The Dark Lord returns. . . )

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 03:25 PM

I have had ZERO trouble with my MBPro..it's a great laptop.

I also work as an IT Professional and some of the problems we've had with Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM etc are worse then any I have ever had with *any* Apple product I have owned.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 03:34 PM

Funny. Last night, just after I was bragging about how the pismo was saving me, the Pismo hard drive crashed. I've been fortunate to never have experienced a total HDD crash. Not a nice sound, a kind of cluck cluck cluck from the upper right side. I rebooted and it booted but incredibly slow. Did it again and just a gray screen came up. The noise became louder and louder and I just pulled the battery to stop it.

So, suddenly my girlfriend and i were without any computers. First time in many years. So, since we all know that I'm obsessive or schizo or something else undiagnosed, I went back to the Apple Store this morning and bought yet another MBP! I talked with a really nice sales person who said they've had three batches of MBP and the last one has addressed many of the issues of the first few. I asked what week they are and she made a call and came back to tell me that they are all the latest batch. When I checked out it turned that it was a week 16, not 20 like some people have received. I was about to walk out again, but I can't waste more time on this so I handed over my credit card.

The good news is that the screen on this one is much nicer. It has better viewing angles than the other two I had, whites are much whiter and in fact even whiter than my Cinema 20" display, and illumination is relatively even except for a slightly brighter bottom that you can only see when looking on a gray screen or from a side angle.

The heat is still there, but does appear slightly cooler than the previous one. I have decided to force myself to get used to it since this is what Apple is selling now and probably for a while. Either a go back to PPC, switch over to windows or get used to this. The choice is obvious right now.

Fit and finish. Hmm, it's ok. Definitely a warped bezel and there are some minor imperfections that resulted from sloppy assembly. It's definitely not as good as the macbooks, but I guess it's fine. Part of my personal therapy to get rid of my obsessive compulsion with laptop perfection is to accept what I cannot change....I have no energy left to try to locate the only perfect Macbook pro around: the one Steve Jobs is using.

Besides the heat, the only thing that really gets to me is that after reboot airport doesn't connect and I have to turn it off and turn it on a few times to get it to work. I really hope Apple will release another firmware to address this issue.....I don't want to have to return this one too.

Unless something really bad happens in the next week, I've decided that I'm going to keep this one and work around its deficiences. This is not my last computer so rather than see it as something permanent (with permanence meaning that I want perfection), I'm going to try to see it as a temporary work tool whose positive attributes outweigh its imperfections.

Thanks everybody for your input! I kind of like this forum....as you may have noticed already.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 03:35 PM

No wonder Mac users get a bad reputation as elitist nitpickers...

We have the nicest laptops in the industry with less issues than most manufacturers, and just because a very small percentage of people post with problems, consumers see those with problems as a majority and think "Oh my god, these computers must be trouble". The whole thing is idiotic. "Oh no, my screen one nanometer above the base WHEN CLOSED AND I'M NOT USING IT, it must be defective." Talk to me when your laptop doesn't boot up, or you can't wipe the drive because Windows won't let you, or your logic board dies after 2 months.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 03:44 PM

Well the problem is not that mac users are picky, but that windows users are used to buying garbage. I've seen quite a few windows laptop users with huge white spots all over their displays and can't believe that they haven't send them in. But maybe they don't even notice or, more likely, just don't care.

I care because I use my computer for so many different things. I spend more time with my computer than any single person (I know that's pathetic/sad, but it's only temporarily) so I want something that is really good.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 03:48 PM

I didn't realize we had that reputation actually. I don't think the vast majority of laptop buyers read this forum do you? I may be wrong. It seems the slightly to majorly techie hobbist tends to read these forums and its fun to nitpick and talk about what could be done better and what one should just live with. I've done it too, but that doesn't stop me from recommending Apple products to everyone I know. They are the best currently available.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 04:02 PM

This is total BS!

I have owned 4 rev a PowerBooks that had zero problems. Apparently you have not!

Stop using the lame "rev a" excuse.
With all due respect, you can't honestly say that just because you've had 4 computers with no problems that there are no problems with Rev. A computers, can you?

Of course most Rev A computers are OK. Not *every* MacBook Pro is defective. I doubt if it's even that huge of a percentage. But there's no way that the last generation of PowerBook G4 had as many problem as this first generation of MBP.

I'm not one of the people who say that you should never buy a Rev A product, but then again I do think that buying a Rev A product entails more risk that something will be wrong.

Originally Posted by MovieCutter
No wonder Mac users get a bad reputation as elitist nitpickers...
I happen to think that we're Mac users because we care a little bit more about the computing experience than the average person. Just because most Windows computers suck more doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to problems with Apple's products.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:31 PM

Not really a good comparison, since "apple sucks" has almost 9,000,000 results... versus just over 2,000,000 for "dell sucks" and only 160,000 or so for "Lenovo sucks".

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 06:22 PM

…Unless something really bad happens in the next week, I've decided that I'm going to keep this one and work around its deficiencies…
Congratulations. Just think of the deficiencies as character.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Congratulations. Just think of the deficiencies as character.

Thanks, I'll try to do that.

The screen is really good now, which leads me to believe that there either has been a change in screen vendor or I had bad luck twice with the other ones. Or, one of the screen vendors (samsung and Chimei) is much better than the other. I'm very picky with LCDs and this one, except for very very slight brighter bottom, is as good as my cinema display straight on, although it does not have the nice wide viewing angle. Still, even the viewing angle is better than the other ones.

I feel pretty good about this one. And the airport disconnect after reboot seems to have gone away too.

Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

Do yourself a favour and just enjoy the thing. I'm like you but I got a MBP and it has flaws but this time I said stuff it, it's only a computer, it does the jobs it was designed for impressively. Laptops are not a work of art, they're a tool so just look at them as exactly that. After saying that, my wife bought a MacBook and it arrived yesterday with three large gouges in the case, that's gone back because it looks like it's been dropped or something similar during production.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:38 PM

that's exactly what I've decided to do: enjoy it! It's so much more enjoyable to let go of perfectionism and simply do what it was meant to do.

Cheers,
Pete

shiff
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
[100th repetition]
The Pismo was the last of the G3 Powerbooks and Apple had time for a long line of improvements before they came out with something (nearly) perfect.

If you buy a rev a you get the latest and coolest new toy but you cannot assume that its perfect. Especially not after such huge changes like new processor, new motherboard architecture, new chipset, new operating system (yes, it has to be re-compiled and adapted to the cpu). If you buy a rev a even though, you have to be prepared for issues. Just don't do it if you are picky!!! Understand that you are a beta tester.

Hey, did you read that? Did you understand? Did you digest?

[/100th repetition]

If not, start to write software and see what your users will tell you after your first release.
Well, we all need beta testers. Economy wouldn't work without them. But maybe you are just not this type of guy. Not bad, just react accordingly and wait for rev b or c. It works!
This is not directed to Dr Michael at all, but I hate the fact that WE, as consumers, have let it go this far. When I buy a new product I do NOT expect to be a beta tester. This goes for any product from any company.

I am in software development and that is why this makes me so angry. I can see some of the big bugs the software/hardware has and the "Managers" decide to release anyway so money can be made. It does not all have to be this way. I work with some projects where there can be NO bugs in the software at all, but where getting to market is important; these issues will always happen.

I have not a doubt in my mind that Apple knew about the heat issues as well as the whine, but decided to release anyway. It is cheaper for them to go ahead and release the products and fix the broken ones then wait and fall behind on release dates.

It is just a sad day when the consumer is no longer in control and WE just have to deal with things and expect things to go wrong. This happens with all products though and not just Apple.

24klogos
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
MacBooks have integrated graphics and MBPs suffer from terrible QC issues. I'm thankful I'm not in the market for a Mactel.
big mac, u always save the day. I will personally squeeze the juices of my g5 tower until i cant even run an email client. after that i'm switching to an abacus.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 24klogos
big mac, u always save the day. I will personally squeeze the juices of my g5 tower until i cant even run an email client. after that i'm switching to an abacus.
haha, by far the best forum post I've read all week.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Not really a good comparison, since "apple sucks" has almost 9,000,000 results... versus just over 2,000,000 for "dell sucks" and only 160,000 or so for "Lenovo sucks".
Haha, just take it for what it is man.

Pete, enjoy your new laptop !

PeterKG
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:48 AM

that's exactly what I've decided to do: enjoy it! It's so much more enjoyable to let go of perfectionism and simply do what it was meant to do.

Cheers,
Pete

pete,

You better not return it. If you do I think you can be labeled certifiable I've been concerned about you for a long time. Enjoy your new MBP....this time!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 02:10 AM

Cheers Pete, enjoy the book, relax and have a beer!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules