Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual Monitor PowerBook

Dual Monitor PowerBook
soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 08:27 AM

I have a PowerBook G4 that supports the dual link DVI. I already have a 20 inch cinema display and I want another one. Does anyone know what cable I need to make this work. I have tried to find the cable on the interenet but I have not come up with anything. Thanks for your help.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2006, 09:05 AM

I wasn't aware that you could drive two external monitors with that card. I thought it was just for driving the 30" Cinema Display, which requires the dual link card because of its very high resolution.

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 09:09 AM

I thought that since you could connect a 30 inch cinema that you would be able to connect 2 other monitors. Basically it is doing the same thing.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 09:48 AM

Dual link dvi just uses all of the pins instead of half of them. It has no ability that I know of to drive two monitors.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ibook_steve
Jun 21, 2006, 12:38 PM

Exactly. You can only drive one external monitor unless you have a PC card that can drive another one.

Steve

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 12:55 PM

Alright thanks guys.... I should have just went with the 23 inch.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 21, 2006, 06:45 PM

There are some graphics cards that support a non-standard mode that sends two single-link DVI signals through a dual-link port and uses an adapter to split it to two single-link DVI ports, but no such card is sold for the Mac, and I've never heard of that on a PC laptop, either. It definitely won't work on the PowerBook.

tooki

gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 07:01 PM

tooki .... Matrox sells them.
Check out this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...hree_displays/

[Edit: putting quotes around a URL will prevent it from being turned into a clickable link --tooki]

Unfortunatly it is not compatible with mac yet since you have to install the windows compatible software to use it. However this thing works on most laptops with decent dedicated video cards. You might wanna check out the duelhead2go made by matrox.
( Last edited by tooki; Jun 22, 2006 at 09:26 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 22, 2006, 09:26 AM

I've seen that thing, but it's not at all what I was talking about. The Matrox box takes a single VGA signal and splits it into two VGA signals. Sending two single-link DVI signals out and using a plug adapter (not a big box) to create two single-link DVI ports is an entirely different thing altogether.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules