Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Sleep Question

MBP Sleep Question
gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 04:56 PM

Hi guys,

I was just wondering. Since I am lazy and all I like to put my MBP sleep instead of turning it off.

So here is my question. If I put my MBP to sleep and carry it around and have those occassional bumps around my padded laptop bag during the transportation process, can it damage my MBP?

Is the MBP turned off completely in sleep mode or just running the hard drive or ram or what? What is the difference between turning off the MBP or making it sleep?

Since I was a windows user I am thinking about stand-by mode and hybernate. Someone clarify me plz.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2006, 09:51 PM

In sleep mode, everything is powered off except for the RAM. Your computer is no more prone to damage in sleep mode than it is in it's off state.

gotanproject  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 11:59 PM

ic, thx for the info.
Do u by any chance know how much battery it comsumes if any?

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2006, 12:14 AM

It consumes some battery, but not a lot. If you move around a lot during the day and have your computer with you, putting it to sleep for a few hours now and then as you move around, you're probably not going to notice any difference whether you shut it down or put it to sleep. Overnight, you'll probably notice that it loses 5-10% of the battery if it's asleep as opposed to being shut down (obviously more as your battery wears out and loses its total capacity.) Still, 5-10% isn't that much.

If you're not going to use the computer for a few days, and it's not going to be plugged in, you'll probably want to shut it down (though it's fine asleep if it's plugged in; it doesn't draw a significant amount of power from the wall when it's asleep.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules