Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > New Parallels with Boot Camp Partition slowing down my computer

New Parallels with Boot Camp Partition slowing down my computer
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2007, 05:39 PM

I've had a MacBook Pro for around 3 months and have used it with Parallels and have been very happy with it. I was amazed how fast Windows XP ran on the Mac and as well OS X performed well. Now with the newer release of Parallels supporting Boot Camp partitions I decided to go that route figuring I can use Boot Camp for gaming and otherwise run Boot Camp through Parallels. Once I went this route though Windows slowed down a lot. Most of all when I went into OS X it as well ran much slower if Parallels was open. Most of this delay occurs when booting up Windows but as well even otherwise it runs slower. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or something that may be fixed in a future Parallels update since this is a new feature.
Unfortunately I'm ready to go back to a Parallels Virtual Drive. I know I can use both Boot Camp and Parallels separately as well. Most of the problem is with hard drive space then but maybe once Boot Camp works on external hard drives (I hope it will soon) I will go that route.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 11:17 PM

Well you're using a beta product (parallels) to access and utiltize an OS that was installed using a beta product (bootcamp). Personally I would have waited until parallels released the new version.

Anyways reading the forums over on parallels seem to indicate lots of bugs in the latest release, even though they're calling it RC. Major memory leaks seem to be the main issue but other bugs are being reported. I was tempted for a nanosecond but after reading some of the stuff over there. I'll wait until they get the bugs shaken out.
Michael

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 12:32 AM

I tried using my Bootcamp partition in Parallels and it ran like crap. I chalked it up to Beta and went back to a virtual drive. I would wait till the next final release comes out before I attempt it again as its only a feature thats worked in this current beta release, so its hardly optimized.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules