Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Will vista run well on a macbook

Will vista run well on a macbook
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 06:10 PM

I have a 2ghz macbook core duo with 1gb of ram. Does anyone think this is good enough to run vista with bootcamp if i decide to sown the road? I hate windows but a lot of programs i use for my psp/phone need windows to work.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 06:21 PM

Quick answer: Because of the graphics unit in the MacBook, Windows Vista will run much slower then Windows XP. I would stick with XP, as most people are doing now anyway.

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 06:43 PM

i am currently running vista release candidate 2 on my macbook with 2gb ram. it runs smoothly. i've only used it to surf the web and burn a dvd or 2.

aero doesn't having any noticable lag.

if you do alot of customizing the phone (ie - MPT and P2Commander, etc) i would hold off on vista since they are very driver dependent. wait til the good folks at hofo have a chance to test the drivers.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 07:17 PM

I use Vista Ultimate at work every day now and it is a steaming pile of crap. DO NOT even bother upgrading. OS X is superior in every way and Windows XP will be just fine for years to come.

Once again, DONT BOTHER!!!

cheers.
iMac G4 / Macbook

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Quick answer: Because of the graphics unit in the MacBook, Windows Vista will run much slower then Windows XP. I would stick with XP, as most people are doing now anyway.
Do you have any benchmarks to back this up? The MacBook fully supports all of Vista's new GUI stuff, and benchmarks on other hardware show no difference in performance.
( Last edited by mduell; Feb 6, 2007 at 08:47 PM. )

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
I use Vista Ultimate at work every day now and it is a steaming pile of crap. DO NOT even bother upgrading. OS X is superior in every way and Windows XP will be just fine for years to come.

Once again, DONT BOTHER!!!

cheers.
i do have to admit, the nice thing about vista is it does look nice and fresh (style over substance) but i am looking forward to the media center portion (ie - with tv tuner) and messing around with the voice command (despite the fact that it has been "proven" to be a HUGE security risk.)

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 09:02 PM

Ok maybe i will just instal XP now and instal vista ;ater on when the bigs are worked out of it. Oh And can i boot windows off of an external hard drive using boot camp?
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 12:00 AM

Vista's been running nice on my MacBook for a few days now. My initial impression is that it's no slower than XP was, though I haven't tried anything CPU or graphically intensive. But the UI overall feels responsive and, dare I say it, snappy.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 12:51 AM

To those running Vista, how did you get the Bootcamp drivers to install? I've installed it, but can't get the drivers installed.

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 12:54 AM

do a search for bootcamp vista 1.1.2 and you'll find directions on how to manually install drivers. this is the only way i've seen possible

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew View Post
do a search for bootcamp vista 1.1.2 and you'll find directions on how to manually install drivers. this is the only way i've seen possible
Seconded, although almost everything was running out of the box. The only problems I saw were sound (which I was able to install off the disk manually), and Bluethooth/iSight (which do not work, and probably will not until Apple updates their drivers for Vista).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 03:26 AM

It runs fine, nice and fast, Aero works fine. iSight doesn't work. Somethings work better than they do in XP. Only thing I need that doesn't work is the Atheros client so I can get on our wireless network using the LEAP protocol. Do NOT install the optional Atheros Driver update via Windows Update, my wireless stops receiving all signals till I roll back the driver to Apple's version. You will need the MacDrive beta to access the OSX partition: Mediafour | Support | Beta Program.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

HowEver
Feb 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

Nope, can't run Windows at all off peripheral drives.

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles View Post
Ok maybe i will just instal XP now and instal vista ;ater on when the bigs are worked out of it. Oh And can i boot windows off of an external hard drive using boot camp?

ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 12:18 AM

I find Vista to be a steaming pile of poop
iMac G4 / Macbook

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 12:40 AM

So THAT's what that "new software smell" is.

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 01:28 AM

after a couple days running vista, i'm confident in saying that it runs much hotter on my 2ghz 2gb c2d macbook. the amount of heat it generates even at a standstill is not good.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew View Post
after a couple days running vista, i'm confident in saying that it runs much hotter on my 2ghz 2gb c2d macbook. the amount of heat it generates even at a standstill is not good.
Not to mention that it goes through a battery faster then you would believe. I just don't understand why anyone would actually want to use Vista, there is nothing there that's better! Eye candy that is poor compared to OS X is not enough.
iMac G4 / Macbook

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 03:36 AM

vista does have: speech recognition and built in media center.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 12, 2007, 09:34 AM

Except for the question of how the hardware in a C2D MacBook might (or might not) work with Vista, this belongs in the Alternative OS forum. And since the discussion has moved rather far from that initial question, I'm moving the thread there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2007, 01:17 AM

I have been running it on my MBP. I would recommend against running it until the Vista drivers come out with a Bootcamp update or Leopard.

It runs a little hot on laptops.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 13, 2007, 01:22 PM

My friend and I installed Vista on our Macbook's last week. Everything runs fine for us, no problems.....yet.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules