Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook + Sony Bravia 26" = horrible picture

MacBook + Sony Bravia 26" = horrible picture
utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 06:39 PM

I know its a bad idea to use adapter but according to our local Apple shop there is no way around it yet.

Anyway, I have connected my MacBook via mini-DVI -> DVI and DVI -> HDMI

I do get a picture and the screen manager loads automatically a Sony profile but the picture looks horrible ..

Its all blurry like an LCD where you never pressed the magic auto button .. hard to explain ... basically even the the writings etc have a colored shadow etc.

The only nice picture I get is from the background an MAYBE the Dock but since I have it quite small and without magnification I cannot really say ...

Is someone out there with the same / similiar screen and found a decent setting / solution ?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 07:05 PM

What TV model? We need this so we can look up its native resolution.

Download reswitcherx and try 1366x768 in the meantime.

kick52
Baninated
Feb 27, 2007, 07:11 PM

could we have a picture?

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 07:23 PM

The exact model is Sony Bravia KDL 26S2000 and native resolutions seems to be indeed 1366x768 .... I seem to be too stupid to find ResSwitcherX ... even google doesn't really give me any results ... Have you got a link by any chance ?

edit : you mean Switchresx probably ? Gonna check it out ...

kick52
Baninated
Feb 27, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
The exact model is Sony Bravia KDL 26S2000 and native resolutions seems to be indeed 1366x768 .... I seem to be too stupid to find ResSwitcherX ... even google doesn't really give me any results ... Have you got a link by any chance ?
that stupid bitch* meant SwitchRes X:
Pure Mac: System Enhancements - Software for Macintosh

*(hehe, only kidding. just havent had my hourly dose of 'bitch' yet.

EDIT: Damnit. a couple of mins too fast.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 08:47 PM

I knew one letter was shared between the words, I just didn't know if it was the r or the s.

hezekiahb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 11:00 PM

You

hezekiahb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 11:03 PM

You might check the display settings in the TV itself, it may not be your Mac. I'm not an expert but I believe sometimes the TVs need a certain refresh rate setting changed, especially with DVI. You might also try different outputs from your Mac, try the VGA & if you have it SVideo or Composite. If you see similar results it might clue in to whether the issue is on the Mac side or the TV side.

QRM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 11:15 PM

I'm using a Bravia KDL 26S2000 as a second monitor for a PowerBook G4 using the VGA input.

The SwitchResX settings for this monitor are 1360x768 59.8 Hz

Extremely sharp and clear.

chrisdisregard
Feb 27, 2007, 11:24 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:08 PM. )

JeffHarris
Feb 28, 2007, 03:01 AM

I've got a Sony 40" KDL-40XBR3, which has a VGA input. When I connected my PowerBook G4 1.67 it set the correct resolution, 1920 x 1080, without me doing a thing! It works perfectly and looks fantastic! I use SwitchRes X, so maybe that had something to do with it??

So, does your TV have a VGA input?

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by QRM View Post
I'm using a Bravia KDL 26S2000 as a second monitor for a PowerBook G4 using the VGA input.
The SwitchResX settings for this monitor are 1360x768 59.8 Hz
Extremely sharp and clear.
I have tried that software but I am too stupid ...

I created a custom resolution with the same you have mentioned and rebooted .. it said now something like "seems to be active" and the resolution on my macbook looks all messed up, which is obviously but the resolution on the TV doesn't really look changed though ..

I am missing something there ...

Jeff: Yes, it does have VGA input, but I am not buying another cable just to test it

the Rebel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 10:42 AM

Are you trying to mirror the TV screen with your laptop LCD?

You may have a bit of trouble finding a single resolution that looks right on both screens.

Try using extended desktop and setting separate resolutions for each screen.
Mark Bitterling
[email protected]

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 10:45 AM

I tried to mirror yes but I don't care about the resolution on the laptop .. I just checked the screen of the laptop to see if SOMETHING changes at all since I couldn't see any change on the TV ... That was the reason of the mirror .. I have the same as extended screen ..

the Rebel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
I tried to mirror yes but I don't care about the resolution on the laptop .. I just checked the screen of the laptop to see if SOMETHING changes at all since I couldn't see any change on the TV ... That was the reason of the mirror .. I have the same as extended screen ..
It may be then that your 26" TV may not be capable of a resolution that will satisfy you. At 26" the 1366x768 resolution is just not going to be all that great for close proximity viewing because the pixels are simply too big.

By comparison, the 20" Apple Cinema Display has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 and the 23" Apple Cinema Display has 1920 x 1200. Apple does not have a 26" display, but if they did, then the native resolution would be double that of your Sony Bravia.
Mark Bitterling
[email protected]

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 12:23 PM

Your problem is probably the DVI-HDMI cable. When I have my XBR2 hooked up to my powerbook via the VGA adapter everything looks fantastic (1080p). I recently picked up a dvi-hdmi cable so I could leave my xbox360 connected and I saw the same problem. Almost like someone blurred the image and then applied the sharpen filter. You might want to search around for bravia and mac issues on google. I know people are seeing the same problem when trying to use minis.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Your problem is probably the DVI-HDMI cable. When I have my XBR2 hooked up to my powerbook via the VGA adapter everything looks fantastic (1080p). I recently picked up a dvi-hdmi cable so I could leave my xbox360 connected and I saw the same problem. Almost like someone blurred the image and then applied the sharpen filter. You might want to search around for bravia and mac issues on google. I know people are seeing the same problem when trying to use minis.
Good to hear that I am obviously not just too stupid

Maybe I just wait for the Mac Pro I intend to buy in a few month

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 02:57 PM

Some TVs (including some Sonys IIRC) will overscan over the HDMI input. Do you have the entire screen present or a slight bit of the edges (like the top of the menu bar) cut off?

OTOH, the very same TVs will look fine over VGA, because they don't overscan over VGA.

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 03:59 PM

I have disabled overscan also .. no luck ... But VGA ... Maybe I do give it a go ....Ey ... someone needs an HDMI cable LOL

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 04:33 PM

there's a straight DVI to HDMI cable that works really well for my macbook and mac mini . . I have a sony 40" bravia and they both work fine, except for the 1 inch black border . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
there's a straight DVI to HDMI cable that works really well for my macbook and mac mini . . I have a sony 40" bravia and they both work fine, except for the 1 inch black border . . .
I have a phillips dvi-hdmi cable and it still looks much worse than vga on my 40" bravia.
I personally hate HDMI. I wish they could have just left dvi alone.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

I think it may be due to the mini-DVI to DVI adaptor that the MacBook uses. I used one with my Dell 24" monitor and the image was noticably blurrier than when I had my tower connected to it.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2007, 09:05 AM

FYI, some TVs (lcd/plasma/etc..) won't accept a PC input via HDMI, only VGA/DVI, probably because of the overscanning. I've come across it a few times in the reviews of different TVs I read before buying my TV. I'm going to try to pick up a mini-dvi - VGA adapter today for my macbook so I can watch my tv shows on my new 32" Samsung. The adapter is only 20 bucks at an apple store.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

macuser00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 02:27 PM

I don't have the time to read all the replies right now but to my knowledge a Macbook may not be able to handle a 26" screen. I know it can't handle Apple's 30" monitor. Just a thought.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 03:38 PM

I'm able to use my "Rev A" non-pro MacBook to drive my stepdad's new 40" Sharp LCD TV with the native 1920x1080 resolution with his VGA input. The TV's manual specifically says to not hook up a computer over HDMI (I assume it has something to do with DRM or whatever...I don't have a DVI-to-HDMI adapter so I didn't try it). The picture was absolutely beautiful and I didn't notice that it wasn't a digital connection at all, so I may look for wording saying "computer compatable" when I purchase a TV in the future.

I am able to drive my friend's 26" Samsung LCD TV with his DVI-I input with a DVI cable from my MacBook but that model is several years old and may not have anything preventing computers over DVI.

Voch

bloodshot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 02:49 PM

Go with the VGA adapter, I can pretty much guarantee it will work. I have the same TV, but in the 32" version which runs at the same native res, and all my Macs look great on it. I use a 5 or 6 year old PowerMac G4 to play DVDs, I've hooked up my MacBook Pro, my old PowerBook, all look very sharp. I'd try my sister's MacBook when she comes over next, but she doesn't have a video out adapter.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 10:38 PM

I have a KDL-46XBR2 and the picture looks like crap via a dvi to hdmi adaptor. Via the VGA connector it looks great. Stick with that for best picture quality. It seems like a digital connection would be better, but not in this case.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2007, 06:18 PM

looks hot on my 32" bravia with VGA (also 1366x768)... screw hdmi for now, just try your VGA adaptor and if it doesn't look amazing (which it does), then look at alternatives VGA might be analogue, but the difference is still minimal, and in my opinion barely visible if even at all, at 720p.. at 1080p the difference might be more apparent, but trust me, VGA looks hot at your res.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2007, 01:28 AM

I have to chime in and say that VGA looked fine on my 30" Prima from my MBP.

I recently bought a 26" Acer AL2616W for around a 1000 CAD with a resolution of 1920X1200. I had been looking at the Apple 23" but this was a better deal IMO. The only things I think the Cinema display had over this were the USB and Firewire hubs and a smaller bezel.

I have to say that the quality of the display is awesome and it supports HDCP via DVI and I've tried some HDMI sources with a PUREAV HDMI to DVI adaptor.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2007, 08:14 PM

I have to disagree with all those who say that VGA is as good as DVI. In my experience, I've found that using DVI provides a much crisper image.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by macuser00 View Post
I don't have the time to read all the replies right now but to my knowledge a Macbook may not be able to handle a 26" screen. I know it can't handle Apple's 30" monitor. Just a thought.
It has nothing to do with inches and everything to do with resolution. If you had a 150" TV at 640x480 with DVI/HDMI/VGA input, the MacBook could connect to it just fine. But if you had a 22" LCD at 3840x2400, the MacBook couldn't support it.

sthiede
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2007, 09:37 AM

i have a sony bravia 40" and when i plug in my macbook with VGA nothing happens. and i mean nothing. can someone help me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules