Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Walmart slashes prices on iPhone 5, available for $129

Walmart slashes prices on iPhone 5, available for $129
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 22, 2013, 04:06 PM

Beginning Saturday, retail giant Walmart will start offering Apple's iPhone 5 for roughly a third lower than its previous price point. The retailer will be offering Apple's newest handset for just $129, down from $189. The iPhone 4S will also see a discount, going from $89 to just $39.

The discounts are contingent upon customers signing up for a new two-year contract with one of three carriers. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are the carriers customers can choose from for the promotion.

Walmart is not alone in deeply discounting the iPhone 5 and 4S. Electronics retailer Best Buy recently announced a continuation of its trade-in program, which allows customers to save up to $150 off the cost of an on-contract iPhone 5 if they bring in their old iPhone 4S or 4.

Some observers believe the discounts are aimed at clearing stock ahead of a possible iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 reveal in the coming months. Images of supposed parts for such a device continually leak to the Internet, with the most recent being a partially assembled chassis said to be part of an iPhone 5S.

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2013, 04:52 PM

if Wally-World is discounting them then I would NOT buy. To me it says that the 5S release date is close. Amen

Grauniad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2013, 10:52 PM

Good grief! I paid around A$700 (~=US$700) for my iPhone 4S (*without a plan*) less than 18 months ago. That hurts.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2013, 06:31 AM

Grauniad: I'm not seeing where you have anything to complain about here. You bought an iPhone 4S at full price with no contract -- something you can't do at Walmart -- and that price hasn't, to my knowledge, changed (either her in the US or in Australia). The iPhone 4S has gotten cheaper *with a contract,* but of course the contract hasn't gotten any cheaper, meaning the savings are -- for the life of that two-year contract -- pretty miniscule.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlohaMacintosh View Post
if Wally-World is discounting them then I would NOT buy. To me it says that the 5S release date is close. Amen
Sometimes the best place to be in technology is one step behind the leading edge so you get some decent prices. Nothing wrong with the iPhone 5.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Grauniad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2013, 05:59 PM

chas_m, OK, sorry, I thought the Walmart price was for a phone *without* a contract. My mistake.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grauniad View Post
Good grief! I paid around A$700 (~=US$700) for my iPhone 4S (*without a plan*) less than 18 months ago. That hurts.
I bought an Unlocked, No Contract, Penta-band Nexus 4 for $349 off the Google Website. Better phone, better performance, better price. I'm happy :-D

Forum Links
Forum Rules