Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Please Help.

Please Help.
lenkman
Nov 12, 2001, 08:50 PM

HELP! I'm desperate and at the end of my rope here.
I'm a bit of a newbie to color pubs, and scanning in my own photos - usually I will simply mark the photos for cropping and send them into our publisher, b/c I am the only person on the staff of my college yearbok that has even the slightest idea about Photoshop, and I'm relatively inexperienced.

I'm using PM 6.52, working on the cover for my college yearbook. I created a collage type image in Photoshop 6, set at 300 dpi, cmyk, and saved as a tiff file. When I placed it in pagemaker, it looked horribly pixelated on the computer- as if it were 30 dpi, not 300. I can't print to confirm this is how it will look on paper, but assume it is (ever tried printing a large color image on a epson 740? It'll cost you $30 per 2 pages for the new cartridge.)

Is this merely a PM bug that will be fine when printed, or is there some sort of problem with my image?

I tested by placing the images that make up the collage individually, all also set at 300 dpi tif, and they all displayed normally. The larger image is at 100%, and the images were kept in scale in Photoshop when I was editing them.

My publishers tech support wasn't worth much, and I need to know for certain by end of the day Tuesday.

Thanks
matt

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 10:37 PM

ok I haven't used pagemaker in a LONG ASS TIME, but! Quark makes its image previews at an extremely low res to keep the memory issues low, Indesign does this also but with a quality setting for just *how* low. Try control clicking on the image and see if it pops up a quality setting, or perhaps print a low quality black and white version (or start one), and see if the image is printing correctly. Or you could just poke around the preference panels for something related to "image display settings" (or something close to that) In InDesign its under general preferences, image, quality (default setting is proxy). Its probably the same.

I'm willing to be that the image will print fine.

Nick

dgs212
Senior User
Nov 12, 2001, 10:45 PM

that is correct. PageMaker displays images at a reduced resolution to combat memory usage and file loading time. You can change this setting in PageMaker's preference settings (under either General settings or Image settings or Display settings...I'm not at home so I can't check, but poke around.)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2001, 10:46 PM

What godzookie said.

It's a low-res screen preview, and your placed image is just fine. If you're designing a book, with multiple 300 DPI tiffs, you'd run out of ram mighty fast if they displayed at full res. I've got a third party Quark Xtension called Enhance preview XT, which will show your image, or images at full res in your page layout, but I leave it off most of the time. My machine gets dog slow with it on and more than two or three big tiffs in a Quark file.

I don't know if there's a way to display tiffs at full res in Pagemaker, as i have a personal aversion to using it. (no real reason)

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

lenkman  (op)
Nov 12, 2001, 11:43 PM

Thanks. you were right.

Now why couldn't Taylor Publishing's tech support have explained it in as simple a way as you folks did?

Anyway,
fwiw, I agree that Quark is better, but I can't justify the expense for a yearbook that is struggling to break even, especially when we get PM for free from the school.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 12:53 AM

Eh, I've made the switch (since I don't play well with others , i.e. work solo) to Indesign recently and never looked back. Quark is one of those programs that is the industry standard, but that doesn't make it a good program. Well, ok, it *is* a good program but it, much like flash, is still living in OS 7 land and its not updated enough for my tastes, neither is the interface top of the line. A combo of Illustrator and Indesign does what little print work I still do juuuusssttt right.

Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules