Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Longest period of going without sleep...

Longest period of going without sleep...
Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 06:44 AM

I've done 56 hours back when I worked the night shift for WalMart (of all places). This was a few years ago, but I remember at the end of it I was hallucinating. Afterwards I slept for 28 straight hours (it is extremely weird to go to sleep on the 13th and wake up on the 15th!). My previous "record" before that was 46 hours and before that 36.

BTW, sleep-deprivation hallucination is faaaaaaaaar trippier than any hallucinogen. Your so fscked up you think your there, you come back to reality, your not sure if your in reality or in another dream, or if your dreaming about being in the reality your in or dreaming about dreaming of another reality... Or something like that. All I remember is that I was gone for 45 mins. skiing down the Himalayan's (I remember it in extreme detail) and then I "snapped" out of it and had "drifted" and slept for maybe a minute or two. Needless to say, pretty fsked up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 06:55 AM

I've gone for 52 hours or so. It was my 18th birthday, and I was coming home from a trip to Korea. Basically I celebrated my birthday for some 50 hours or so, it was great . Then when I got home from the airport, I slept for about 24 hours.

I have a friend who regularly stays up for two days, sometimes three at a time, then just sleeps for about 20 hours and then repeats the process.

And sleep dep. makes some weird sh!t happen... .

Cipher13
Jan 30, 2002, 07:16 AM

76 hrs. Just about killed me

Had a project to complete for a big presentation, and I didn't start it until like 3 days before; and I didn't finish it until the afternoon it was due

It wasn't my fault though. There was so little footage to use :|

(it was a movie).

Moved the G4 to my bedroom and worked in there; the 72 hrs was spread between working on the movie, and setting up the lights and stuff in the hall which was to be used.

When that was all FINALLY over (movie played etc), I went to a park with a few buddies and drank till 1 AM when I walked home, went to bed, and didn't wake up for 22 hrs or so

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 30, 2002, 07:27 AM

about 80. damn, that was a good party
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 30, 2002, 07:46 AM

I'm sure I've stayed-up for at least 48 hrs straight, maybe more than that. In my "old age" of 33 though it's alot tougher to do that anymore without it catching-up to me. They say a "healthy" nights sleep is a minimum of 8 hrs which I rarely get during the work week. I work from about 8:00 am to like 4:00 pm and when I get home I usually just veg-out, grab a bite to eat and watch some TV or something. No matter how tired I may be after work I usually wind up getting my ":second wind" and can't ever seem to get to bed before like 11:00 pm or midnight. Then I get back up the following day at around 5:00 am. So I'll get on average about 6 hrs of sleep per night sunday through thursday, then on saturday and sunday mornings I'll sleep until whenever.

I know exactly what you mean though by sleep deprivation. I don't recall the last time I actually did stay awake for more than like 48 hrs straight, but I do remember it being a weird and trippy feeling. It's like you're "high" on something and you do start snapping in and out of reality. You're practically a zombie with one foot in the grave and you feel like you could nod-off at any second so you don't dare close your eyes. It is like being on some sort of hallicinogen.

Mike

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 07:49 AM

The stupidest sleep deprivation thing I ever did was at New Year 2001. We stayed up till about 4 on the 31st/1st slept till 8, was up all day on the 1st.

On the night of the 1st we drove nonstop to London overnight, stayed up all day in London (except paying about 10 quid to go to an IMAX movie and falling asleep there :-). We went to a football game in London that night and drove home overnight that night.

So, I guess that's about 48 hours straight and 1600 miles driving. I drove all the way there and all the way back myself. I distinctly remember having dreams at 70mph.

Damn fool idea. I would *never* do that again. I shiver now to think how dangerous it was.
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 07:53 AM

52 hours, while in the military. I never want to do that again.
Agent69

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 08:52 AM

about 3 days is my best. i usually hear voices after a day or so. not as in the "kill your mother!" type voices that psychos supposedly hear. i'll just hear the murmur of conversation or think someone's just spoken to me but when i turn round there's no-one near. quite weird.

i regularly go without sleep on sat nites when i go out over the weekend. feel like a zombie for most of sunday afternoon and think "i'll have an early nite tonite" and then about 8 o'clock 'ping!' i'm suddenly wide awake again.

i think my body clock is set to the wrong timezone anyway. i have a real struggle forcing myself out of bed before about 11-12 in the morning but at night i don't feel remotely tired til about 2 or 3 am. my GF is completely the opposite. when i stay at hers, she springs gazelle like from the sack when the alarm goes off at about 6:30 am but at night starts dozing off in front of the telly about 10.

anyone else got incompatible body clocks with their partner?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 09:41 AM

In my final year at uni I constantly tried to overachieve and so about every 2 weeks I'd stay up for at least 2 days and about once every 2 months I'd stay up for 3 days - always doing assignments and tutorials. I used to screw my body clock up all the time (on purpose) like I'd get home at 5 in the afternoon - go straight to bed then wake at 2am to start my studies/homework before heading off to uni at 7am.

And here I am at quarter to 1 in the morning - can't sleep - even after 2 sleeping pills. Today - one quarter of my company will be made redundant in the morning and I can't sleep. Lets hope I am in the quarter that is forced to take the vacation
this sig intentionally left blank

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 30, 2002, 10:17 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 01:00 PM. )

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 12:04 PM

ah, yes, the voices. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Answering questions that were never asked - usually happens before the 3rd day.

On the fourth day you also get replies to the answers of questions that were never asked.

Can't say what happens after 5 days...anybody made it that far?
*empty space*

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2002, 12:24 PM

If I'm sleep deprived, I hear what sounds like a TV or radio is on in another room. My record is about 48 hours- I went to a webpress print job and stayed awake during the whole job. Afterwards flew back home and went to a wedding and reception until about 3 in the morning. I didn't need much alcohol there to feel drunk.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
anyone else got incompatible body clocks with their partner?
I've got exactly the same set up. I like to stay up, she falls asleep in front of the TV. Saturday morning, she's up at seven but I'm comatose.

I decided that the reason was that, personally, I don't like to go to sleep while awhile or awake while asleep. Might miss something.

As for sleep deprevation, we used to reguarly stay up all night in architecture school, and then present the next day, with mixed results, and then go out and party. After awhile we figured out that even if you slept three hours or so your presentation would be much much better.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 12:32 PM

During high school summer vacations, I would usually stay up as long as I could programming (because nights are the best time to work (nobody bugging you) and I never liked sleeping during the day). It was usually 2 days wake, 12 hours sleep, repeat.

A few weeks ago, the news was talking about some drugs the military was playing with that would let you stay up for 7 days (I think) and be fully alert. All I know is; I want some!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 02:16 PM

7 days awake that would be nice... the longest for me was like 60 hours (which was good because about half of this time was time was spent drunk and another 8 hours of it was spend over the atlantic).... now tho i always get bored because everyone is asleep so i just go lay in my bed and vainly try to sleep

Myrkridia
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 02:19 PM

34hrs and counting.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 02:27 PM

Freshman year of artschool I went about 100 hours on a steady diet of vivarin, mt. Dew, coffee and cigarettes. Oh and steak an eggs alot. (always make steak and eggs after an all nighter, works wonders) Granted I was an absolute mess, Seeing shit, hearing Shit. Wasn't pretty. I also did probably some of my best work ever that time... I don't really sleep that much in general. I average about 4 hours a night and am perfectly fine. Weird thing is that that I *have* to time myself to get an even number of hours of sleep. If i sleep 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc, I'm fine. If I sleep 1,3,5....13 no matter what, I am all kinds of a fuqed up, quite weird.

Now, I can probably pull 24-30 hours and then start to crash, I think I burned through any and all stamina at sleep deprivation during college.

Nick

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 02:29 PM

about 16 days actually as defined by the sunrise and sunsets, which happened the last time I was in a soyuz capsule orbiting earth. didnt feel a thing!
on terra firma about 50 hours partying, lots of drinking followed by a bet to see who goes without sleep for the longest, lost the game by 3 hours...dont think I will ever do it again! it was an insane thing to do to your brain.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

About 50-60 hours. Of all things, for for a trivial piece of consumer electronics, the PS2. I had to get up and go to class, then drove to some boonie town to wait for the shipment the next morning. I got it, went back for another day of class, and played the PS2 all night. After another day of class, I fell asleep at 5pm and was out for almost 24 hours.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2002, 02:52 PM

I did about 60hours straight during a flood.

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>

anyone else got incompatible body clocks with their partner?</STRONG>
My ex-ex used to fall asleep everywhere. In the museum, in the movies...She fell asleep during Star Wars once!! JHC, I thought she narcoleptic. But she was a workaholic.

After she moved in, I discovered that she had to go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 4 am for work. I tend to pass out at 3/4 am and usually wake up at 10/11, so that didn't work out.
Chipper bushy tailed early risers should be shot, not heard.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: osiris ]
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2002, 03:35 PM

I think I did 48 hours once, when working third shifts. Would come home and not be able to sleep, or have other things to do... I don't recall ever hearing voices, but I'd hallucinate as my body desperately tried to shut down... While driving once, I thought I saw a dinosaur... turned out to be the distant lights of the toll booth. !

As for body-clocks: my husband can sleep thru anything. During the week, we usually both get to bed around 11, and he has to get up early. On the weekends, the latest I can usually make myself sleep is 9:30 (the phone rings, nature calls, other noises) if nothing wakes me up. He can sleep thru all of that... til noon. I wish I could. &lt;yawn&gt;

How's about a nap right now...

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 05:00 PM

About 110 hours, without food.

Weirdest thing - no pharmaceuticals or abuse involved - I just woke up one Tuesday morning, and didn't feel like eating or sleeping until Friday night. Clocked in some amazing overtime at work. Saw a lot of movies. Read. Alphabetized everything. Dropped twelve pounds. Felt a little weird, but basically fine.

Wish I could do it again ;-(
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
<STRONG>the last time I was in a soyuz capsule orbiting earth.</STRONG>
wow. really? gets my vote as one of the coolest things i've heard of being done by MacNN members...

i don't really remember much about my last week in college. had two or three major projects to finish. probably wasn't all that bad. i think i got a few winks here and there. the longest stretch was probably only around 40 hours.

when i hallucinate from sleep deprivation, surfaces start sliding around, objects start moving. colors change. it's pretty trippy, in that not-entirely-plesant way.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 05:15 PM

i dont remember how long the whole period was but i did 2 hours in 3 days so it probably doesnt count as one long period if i slept in the middle. it was during finals week.

deedar
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 05:31 PM

Nine or ten days. I had help. I DO NOT recommend it. Very bad.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 01:11 AM

there was a story i saw on tv about a bet taht this radio guy was doing trying to raise money and he stayed up for about a week or so dont really remember the exact time but he got fscked up BAD. he had problems the rest of his life and died at an early age (45 or so(yeah young)) that was the direct result of the time withought sleep. I think it was about 2 weeks he tried to stay up now that I think about it. he had all these problems and they did not seem to be connected in any way. like vision screw ups and balance and memory and stuff like that. i think when i become a senior in high school i want to make a bet with my friends who can stay up the longest. i think that would be fun, although we would not take our lives in our own hands, ie, no driveing/ drugs/alcohol. i bet we could bet some fun and interesting things. and have someone to write down most of the holucinations, and then see them the next day or so. and then we all force us to go back to a normal body clock. I would give this a week or so.

humm i'm back to thingking of the future, cool. go take a look at "the future" thread.

P.D.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2002, 01:21 AM

Sleep? What's that?

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by aleph_null:
<STRONG>
when i hallucinate from sleep deprivation, surfaces start sliding around, objects start moving. colors change. it's pretty trippy, in that not-entirely-plesant way.</STRONG>
although... now that i think of it, one of those big projects involved modelling and rendering in Maya, where surfaces do slide around, object move, and colors change ... hrm...

whoa, talk about maya... (in the Hindi sense)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 02:51 AM

&lt;too drunk to be posting&gt; heh, once, I 'saw' a coffee cup as a little 6 inch tall midget with an afro going: "Wasssaaaaappp". Tripped me out! &lt;/too drunk to be posting&gt;

Nick

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 03:18 AM

2 hours, that was for a meeting at work. I'm a napaholic.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 01:26 PM

I decided to go w/ 2 friends to a music festival (Lit, BUSH, Blink, Sum41) in PA

So i wake up the morning before, 8 oclock, go to class etc, we leave at about 5 get there about 7.
So we are ready to leave, and we miss the last train back to NY...
sooo....
We stayed awake in the trains tation from 11:50-&gt;5:50
well my friend (ya the girl) slept, but we had to stay awake to fight off the bums in 30th street station!

on the way home, i didn't sleep, i know you can't sleep on the trains going to NY, it's just not good!
anyway
Got back JUST IN TIME for my final exam (mind you I havn't sleept a wink yet!)
MANAGED TO GET A 100 ON THE FINAL

I then had a staff dinner for the magazine write for, and i had to read 100 odd pages,

SOO sufficet to say, after the mag dinner @ hooters, i got drunk, smoked a little and didn't fall asleep until 5am (how ironic) THE NEXT DAY

so about 3 days

HEY it's college...would i do it agian? SURE!

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 04:18 PM

32 hours so far

Cheers Edd

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2002, 04:51 PM

52 hours in bootcamp. Then orf course they only let you sleep 6 hours afterward until graduation. I spent liberty weekend sleeping 20 hours straight!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2002, 05:40 PM

Done nearly 70 hours doing a project at uni. Started early one day, worked all day at uni, went home, worked all the way through the night, went to uni, worked all day, went home and worked all night and then went to uni the next day. Completely abused my self on Pro-plus, I think so much so that caffiene seems to have very little effect on me now. I have since then been known to be pumped full of caffiene and still be able to go straight to sleep

The funny thing about my long stint was that the last day was the project hand in so we all went out on the lash that night. None of my other coursemates had been as stupid as me and had slept, but at the end of the night I was the last one standing (swaying) and out-lasted everyone else!

Didn't come back into uni until a few days later though...everyone thought I had died.

beb
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 05:44 PM

Is this a dream?

lenkman
Jan 31, 2002, 11:14 PM

50 or so hours.
travel sucks. flying halfway across the world really sucks.

in the middle of that i had a 21 hour layover in NYC, but damn tour group didn't allow me to sleep. Had to do really stupid "group bonding" activities instead. I was up at 3 am to catch a flight to new york, took another flight out of NY at 1 am or so the next day, 10 hours in plane, than 20 or so hours on the ground before i got any sleep.

(Time zone changes screwed me from getting an exact number.

I never can sleep on planes. I should learn.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: lenkman ]

Rolling Musubi
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 12:00 AM

4 days (partly required and then part insommnia). Somewhere around day 3, felt like my head wanted to float off somewhere and walking around felt totally surreal. Worst part was that my eyes felt like it had sand in them. Really felt like a mindless simpleton after awhile.
rolling musubi gathers no nori.... (only dirt)

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 12:34 AM

72 hours was the longest without sleep. I took some wakeup pills to help. Never again. Those things gave me the trembles along with urge to throw up.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 12:43 AM

Thursday morning 7 am till Sunday morning 2 am. 67 hours straight ... I'm still tired from that and it was over 10 years ago
Cheers!

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Nephron ]

otis52
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 01:22 AM

72 hours when I was finishing school. I stayed up for 3 days to get my portfollio done for review so i could graduate. I was trippin see'n trails and shet at portfollio review it was pretty weird.
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Forum Links
Forum Rules