Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 Powerbook 15" delays?!?!?!

G4 Powerbook 15" delays?!?!?!
deviousgelatin
Oct 22, 2003, 10:53 PM

Ordered a PB 15" from MacMall last week - it was supposed to ship on Monday. Called them today, and they said tht Apple hasn't sent them any yet, and it will be ANOTHER week before I get it.

AAAARGH!

ANyone know the reason for the delay from Apple? Or does Steve Jobs just hate me?

The worst part is...I'm sitting here with brand new 40gig iPod that I can't hook up to my aging (and ailing) Yosemite G3.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 11:01 PM

Well maybe supply cannot meet with demand, or they are fixing the screen issues that they have been having, or maybe they are being pre-loaded with Mac OS X 10.3

There are many reasons why products get delayed, but be patient, it will get there...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Macbear
Oct 22, 2003, 11:06 PM

This has been an ongoing problem outside the U.S., and not just the 15 inch models. There is a 3 week backlog on 12 inch Powerbooks here in Canada. I know, because I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Ordered it on October 3rd.

I think this is just a case of demand exceeding the number of Powerbooks available. I also wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with the white spots and other defects that have plagued the 15 and 12 inch Powerbooks. I'm betting Apple has tightened up quality control, causing a shipping delay.

Or yes, maybe Apple just hates us.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 12:42 AM

I just pulled the trigger on a new 1.25GHz Alu15" through MacConnection and I'm in the same boat. My rep there said that they've received no (as in none) of the new 15"s on order from Apple and that there are major backorders piling up � the rep said that Apple keeps telling them to expect delivery "next Friday" each succeeding week, and that all the resellers are in the same boat.

Slightly skeptical, I checked with several other companies and this does indeed appear to be the case, everyone's waiting for their shipments and no one knows why.

I'm content for the time being, though; this isn't uncommon for a new model with Apple (although this is about the worst case of it ever, apparently), it might mean the difference between white spots and no white spots, and I got a good deal on a Powerbook/Airport Extreme Base Station/Applecare bundle � and no sales tax. I'll wait (but not indefinitely )

I say look for the end of October, but time will tell�
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

deviousgelatin  (op)
Oct 23, 2003, 12:56 AM

I'm content for the time being, though; this isn't uncommon for a new model with Apple (although this is about the worst case of it ever, apparently), it might mean the difference between white spots and no white spots, and I got a good deal on a Powerbook/Airport Extreme Base Station/Applecare bundle � and no sales tax. I'll wait (but not indefinitely )

I say look for the end of October, but time will tell� [/B][/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, but it's back-ordered everywhere. And I really can't afford to pay sales tax on $2,500 dollars worth of computer, so I guess I'l just wait patiently.

But that doesn't mean I won't curse like a sailor until the thing arrives at my door...

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 05:35 AM

I CTO'd from Apple on the 20th and it shipped the 22nd.
1GHZ/256/60/AE/BL.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 09:03 AM

if i were you folks waiting on the new 15" al 1.25 powerbook i would sit back and relax.

i was one of the lucky souls who jumped the gun and got one from j&r on october 2. just as i got all my apps installed, files transferred and e-mail brought up to speed it started developing white spots on the screen that are identical to those others have posted in this very forum. in addition, my machine would not start up from an installer cd (disk warrior or norton) and, when started in target disk mode, it would not appear on the attached machine.

this past monday my machine was sent in for repair from an apple store in minneapolis. i was told to expect it back yesterday (wednesday). when it didn't show i called apple care and they said the mother board had been replaced and the screen is on back order. they could not give me an expected date of arrival for the screen or the return of my powerbook.

this is what i get for buying a rev 1 machine. damn, when will i learn...

anto42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 10:29 AM

I BTO'd from Apple on the 15th and it shipped the 22nd.
1.25GHZ/2*512/60(4200rpm)/AE/BL.

hl_keyboard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 10:48 PM

I thought I was buying a revision X tiPB 1ghz, which was supposed to be a reliable carry everyday type machine. And I ordered at the begining of Augest. After 5 weeks of delay, they announced the new ALPB and upgraded the order to the 1.25ghz (same price as what I had ordered before). At the time I'm thinking wow they are nice to do that. Well they gave me the option to cancel it, and I concidered it, but that would have cost me the restocking fee on my iPod, since i was getting a $200 rebate on it. So longer story short, I sent off my white spotted 15" this morning and they said that it was my fault for CARRYING it, but that they will replace the screen for free.

I'll let you know how long it takes to get back.
Thanks in advance.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 11:30 PM

I believe that users complaining to Apple about spots have discerned that Apple has found a repair to the infamous spots. This is only a rumor though, or maybe I just made it up after hitting the pipe, but this may be the reason you guys are seeing a delay. Actually, if I was in your position, this is what I'd be hoping for.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

beefstu01
Oct 30, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
I believe that users complaining to Apple about spots have discerned that Apple has found a repair to the infamous spots. This is only a rumor though, or maybe I just made it up after hitting the pipe, but this may be the reason you guys are seeing a delay. Actually, if I was in your position, this is what I'd be hoping for.
Apple's "fix" for my laptop was to replace the whole lid, not just the LCD. Maybe I'll have no gap!

(",)PB12
Oct 31, 2003, 12:08 AM

Oh my god, does this mean i'll have to wait again. I'm suppose to receive my tomorrow 31st Oct. That's the ETA give to me by my sales rep from school. Damn....its more than a month. but like the other user said ....if there really is a fix ...the wait might just be worth it. Let's hope so!!

krux`
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 11:48 AM

You live in seattle, you should just go to the apple store, you have 2 located less than 15 minutes away from you. Bellvue Square one, and University Square one. It was better to buy direct from apple store anyways

Forum Links
Forum Rules