Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Change of Pace: Please Read

Change of Pace: Please Read
no use for a nick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 06:47 PM

For a change of pace, I'd just like to comment on how happy I am with my iMac. It's been just a little over a year since I bought my iMac DV SE (in graphite) and I couldn't be any happier with it. It's done everything I've asked of it so far and I don't anticipate future troubles. I've done Virtual PC, I've got a firewire Que! drive and I've upgraded through the various OS 9 updates with little to no trouble.

A lot of bad stuff is said and a lot of advice asked on these boards. For once, I'd just like to hear from those who are happy with their Mac. Cool?
--
nick

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2001, 07:43 PM

Through the wonders of the Apple Student Loan I purchased the very first iMac. My rev. A, bondi wonder has served me faithfully for the last 2 1/2 years. I started out with 160M of RAM (soon to be 256) and 6M VRAM. Since then I've added a GameWizard and a 45G Maxtor HD. I've also installed OSX PB on one of my partitions and must say that I love it.

Anyway, this computer has given me so much usefulness and so much enjoyment that I don't think I can ever part with it. Even when I get my G5 next year.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2001, 08:10 PM

Have used wintels for years, and I bought my iMac DV+ in about 6 month ago. It's my first Macintosh ever. And I must say; it is the best computer system Ive ever used. The only downside is the whiny stock HD, but I have ordered one of those IBM HD 45gigs, wich is supposed to be speedy and silent.

Looking forward for OS X!

------------------
---------
sniffer

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Steph
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2001, 10:23 PM

I got my Strawberry iMac DV in June, and it's been everything I could have wanted. I used to be in the wintel world as well, now I just giggle when my friends using Win98 tell me their woes. In December I got an iBook for work, (the iMac is at home) and it's been superb too.

I work at a small business as the network administrator, web master, and IT dept. (and the sole mac user) on a linux / windows network. I'm now working to convince others to join the Mac bandwagon. Everytime someone has a problem, I just say "Gee, my iMac: does that automatically / doesn't have that problem / is a lot faster / has that built-in." and "It's been so long since I had to deal with that in a windows box, I don't know if I can help.". Got the boss eyeing the Titanium PB now....

Just counting down the days to OS X now.

Bottom line: I love my iMac, I haven't had any problems with it, it's done it all. Ditto for the iBook.

--Stephanie

beetleMac
Feb 6, 2001, 10:39 PM

I'm glad this this posting was started It's nice to hear about people that are having positive experiences with their Macs. I own a Lime iMac DV 400 with 192 MB of RAM running OS 9.04. My unit will be a year old in April. Overall, I love this computer. Since day one it has peformed flawlessly. Aside from some software conflicts every now and then, I've had no major problems. I'm really quite shocked at the number of hardware problems I'm seeing with a lot of these postings. So far I feel very fortunate to own a machine that is free from problems that many are detaling here in this forum

Happy Mac-ing!!!

BeetleMac

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2001, 10:53 PM

My iMac is great!!!

Beetleboy
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2001, 11:04 PM

My iMac has also been troube free. I have owned it for one year today. Ordered a printer for it today an Epson 777i and a UniRiser for easier viewing. Can't wait!!!

rhino_g3

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 12:10 AM

The only problems I have encountered are that whiny harddrive, which I had replaced with somewhat satisfactory results. Otherwise, I have been sort of reckless with my approach to learning. The iMac seems to have withstood much trial and error software tinkering.

BeetleMac...I don't think you should be so "shocked" by the amount of problems posted here; most people check in when they need help. This is a nice change of pace, though.

Thanks.

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2001, 12:12 AM

Like Arty, I've had the Bondi Rev A for about two and a half years. Love it to death even though since then I've won (yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus ) a G4 and my workplace gave me a Wallstreet PB. The only difference is that now all three are networked (what a breeze that is to do!) and my son is the primary user of the iMac. All 11 year olds should be so lucky. I mean that seriously, too.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

gorefan68
Banned
Feb 7, 2001, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Arty50:
Through the wonders of the Apple Student Loan I purchased the very first iMac. My rev. A, bondi wonder has served me faithfully for the last 2 1/2 years. I started out with 160M of RAM (soon to be 256) and 6M VRAM. Since then I've added a GameWizard and a 45G Maxtor HD.
Rev A iMacs do not "START OUT" with 6 megs of vid memory....

-Ca$h

Bissimac
Feb 7, 2001, 07:52 AM

I too am delighted with my grape DV/400/192.

It shipped with 9.0 and 2 updates have followed to 9.1 faultlessly.
This is my 4th Mac, after an LC, PB180 and Performa 5200. Although I really liked the iBook, I decided at the time of purchase, the revised iMac was a better spec. I think the iBook screen is too small. My next purchase _may_ be a second hand G3 powerbook, if I start a PhD next year.

I bought an iSub last month & it rocks!
I would not even consider buying a Wintel. I dont need to / want to spend my life repairing windows & wondering why my configsquiggleconfusionrebootanreinstallwindows.da t file wont work ;-))
Macs help me be more productive and spend my time more effieciently. They are great!

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2001, 08:24 AM

I bought an indigo ibook last december and i love it!

Its a fantastic computer. Its my first mac, and I am a heavy user. I dont consider myself to be a sucker for consumer machines. Ibooks are fast and powerful and very good value for money.

I run my ibook as a jave development platform, I run microsoft office 2001 on it for work and uni, I browse the internet a lot, and use iot for games (starcraft and quake 3)>

ID have to recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, fast portable - you cant beat it for value for money. 8)
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 11:19 AM

I have to chime in too... I'm delighted with my summer 2000 indigo (hence my username!) iMac DV (400). I'm doubly blessed since I get to use a G4 350 at work, so it's easy to take stuff back and forth either by e-mail or by Zip disk.

gorefan68
Banned
Feb 7, 2001, 12:51 PM

I like mine. Only real problem I've had was when my screwdriver slipped and I screwed up my CPU daughtercard. A trip to a local tech place and 90 dollars later, all was good.

Ca$h

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 01:44 PM

i"ve got a Rev. A along with a First Gen DV SE, both of which work great. Although the Rev.A has a bad logic board so the monitor fails randomly. Now I still have it under an extended waranty, but I doub they would accept it after I "explored" it. It's uh... mostly in one piece as the casing goes, but the hardware works great. I also have an iBook which has survived many falls, even one nearly fatal one. They work great for machines that were all first gen (the iBook, Rev A. and DV SE are all frist gen machines). So apple QC is pretty good.

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 03:18 PM

I converted to the Mac platform after purchasing an iMac DV 400MHz a couple of years ago. Since then, I've purchased a G3 Powerbook and a Cube. I only use my home computers for Internet, e-mail, word processing and MP3s. Since style matters to me, I went with Macs for my home machines. Whereas a boring PC box would be relegated to a spare bedroom, I have no problems with a Mac in my living room. It looks great, gets the job done and is simple to use. I only wish that I could run professional-strength accounting and tax programs on it without having to use a Cytrix server. Oh well. At least I'm on the platform. When Apple's stock tanked I bought a fairly large number of lots at around $14/share. Since then it's appreciated nicely, so I guess I'm going to remain a long-term user and shareholder.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2001, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by gorefan68:
Rev A iMacs do not "START OUT" with 6 megs of vid memory....

-Ca$h
They do when you have the authorized reseller install it for you along with a 128M RAM chip, and they have it all ready for you to pick up the day it arrives.

With regard to semantics, I said "I started out..." not "IT started out..."

[This message has been edited by Arty50 (edited 02-07-2001).]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

itang
Feb 7, 2001, 04:21 PM

I only had a wintel for 10 months, too many problems to list hear, so I was captivated by the tang ibook, and took it home with me 12 months ago. Never looked back. A superb computer, internet, mp3, digital photos, no problems to date. In fact, I was so impressed with the ibook, that I bought an indigo dv+ 5 months ago with 128mb ram and airport installed. Network heaven between them both ( using the imac as a software basestation and surfing wirelessly on the ibook rocks!). Don't be put off by the problems on this site, people only complain when things go wrong, and all mac users can't be wrong!. Enjoy your machine, and roll on OSX.

artman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 08:43 PM

I purchased the very first Bondi Blue iMac. THe HD is a little skimpy but this machine has worked flawlessly. I have a 7 port USB hub with my Epson Stylus Color 777 USB printer, Iomega USB Zip drive, and Agfa Snapscan 1212 USB scanner plugged in. Totally hassle free add ons and installation. Thinking of getting a USB CD Burner soon.

I may get the next iMac when they roll out. Even so I'll never part with this one. I've become attached to it (it's the first mac I've ever owned )

Never could say that for a Windoze machine ever. (-_-)

------------------
The Artman @_@
http://www.artshack.com

holiday
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2001, 01:22 AM

I have been using a powerbook 1400cs for the past three plus years and just bought a refurb iMac DV+ 450 two months ago. With the money I saved I purchased a printer, uniriser, USB hub and invested in 128mb of more memory (still not quite enough memory with 192mb). I still cringe when I think about how much I paid for the powerbook. Anyway, this iMac runs great. It has made me realize that the 1400 is dinosaur, a useful dinosaur but still a dinosaur. I am also pleased to find out that the iMacs are more modifiable than I expected.

vega24
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2001, 03:33 PM

I bought a iBook SE with an airport card and basestation 3 weeks ago and it's my very first Mac. I caught alot of heat from some Wintel diehards but I went ahead and bought it anyways. Now that I've used it for awhile and showed it off to some of them, I think some of them are a little jealous and that gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside. I'm very happy so far and I'm trying to get some of my friends to get a Mac for their next computer. Wish me luck!!!

[This message has been edited by vega24 (edited 02-10-2001).]

heart93
Feb 10, 2001, 05:11 PM

I've owned several Macs (currently an iMac DV+ & an iBook SE), and have been thoroughly pleased with them. Not to say that every machine has been competely trouble free, but I haven't yet encountered any problem that I couldn't figure out sooner or later.
I use a PC at work (along w/ my iBook, which I use instead of the PC for anything I don't absolutely have to do on the PC) and find it to be a completely joyless experience.

heart93

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2001, 07:24 PM

I love my Apple iMac rev. B Bondi Blue machine!

I had 96mb installed before delivery and addes a AGFA SnapScan 1212U, iOmega ZIP drive & a NU-FORM ergonomic BOndi BLue Keyboard.

Its been with me for a little over 2 years now nad I still love it, even though its kinda sluggish compared to my bussiness-bought G4 MP 500mhz with 256MB RAM.

Therefore, in 2 weeks I am upgrading my RAM up to 256MB and upgrtading to a new iForce processor. I plan on getting a 500mhz G3 unless their Monday introductions of new products & pricing has something better for around $500.

Eventually I'll get around to upgrading the HD to something bigger, and probably will get that Voodoo II mezzanine card when it gets more affordable.

I've recently bought the Stand & speaker combo from Cozo.com, as their stand is SO much better (sturdier & lets you picot AND rotate your iMac) than the Contour Designs one, and also bought a Bondi & Ice Kensington Mouse in a Box.

I love my iMac and will keep it as long as I can!
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

DocWest
Senior User
Feb 10, 2001, 08:59 PM

It's my Lime iMacDV's first birthday on Feb 15.
It has served me well. I really don't know where I would be without it.

MACS RULE!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules